𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐀𝐩𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐍𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐲𝐚 𝐌𝐮𝐭𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐚 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐦 (𝐍𝐦 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐦)
The first semester of the Nissayamuttaka monastic training program conducted by the International Institute of Theravada is going to be successfully completed in a few days.
At the beginning of the second semester, we have decided to provide the opportunity for a few more students to join the program at the request of many.
Monks who have a strong desire to engage in this program can fill the form below and submit the application before 30th of April.
This program is desinged to impart knowledge on Theravada teachings in bhikkhus and sāmaṇeras and to train them in monastic training with the objective of enriching them with the qualities expected to be gained by a nissayamuttaka monk, a monk who can abide independently without the depending on a teacher.
One has to undertake this course residing at the International Institute of Theravada located at Karuwalagaswewa, Sri Lanka.
✹➤ This course is designed into three stages that will run for six years.
- Basic Stage – one year
- Intermediate Stage – three years
- Advanced Stage – two years
✹➤ Each year has two academic semesters. Each semester will run for five months and at the end of each semester comes a one-month-holiday.
First semester from 01st December to 30th April (holiday – from 1st May to 31st May)
Second semester from 01st June to 31st October (holiday – from 1st November to 30th)
✹➤ A certificate issued by the International Institute of Theravada shall be given to students who successfully accomplish each stage.
➠ 𝐒𝐮𝐛𝐣𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐬 𝐓𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭
- Theravada Fundamentals
- History of Buddhism
- Navakamma (Skills in monastic crafts)
- Additional subjects
➧ 𝑩𝒂𝒔𝒊𝒄 𝑺𝒕𝒂𝒈𝒆
- Theravada Fundamentals – Basic
- Vinaya – Bhikkhu Pātimokkha
- Sutta – General knowledge
- Pāli – Theoretical knowledge necessary to read the Tipiṭaka, commentaries and sub-commentaries
➧ 𝑰𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒎𝒆𝒅𝒊𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝑺𝒕𝒂𝒈𝒆
- Theravada Fundamentals – Part 1
- Vinaya – Ubhato Vibhaṅga and Khandhaka part 1
- Sutta - Selected discourses
- Pāli - Comprehensive Pāli grammar based on various grammar traditions
- Samatha – 40 meditation subjects
- Vipassanā – Part 1
- Navakamma – Part 1
- Additional Subjects – Basic Sinhala (Not compulsory)
➧ 𝑨𝒅𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒆𝒅 𝑺𝒕𝒂𝒈𝒆
- Fundamentals of Theravāda – Part 2
- Pāli, basic Sanskrit and Philology – Including composition of verses, ancient techniques of reading commentaries and their application, Pāli language writing and speaking skills
- Vinaya –Khandhaka part 2, Parivāra, training in Vinayakammas
- Sutta - Selected discourses
- Abhidhamma – Dhammasaṅgaṇī Mātikā, Dhātukathā, Yamaka, and Paṭṭhāna based on ancient Burmese techniques
- Vipassanā – Part 2
- History of Buddhism (Including Kathāvatthu of Abhidhamma)
- Navakamma – Part 2
✹➤ Qualifications to be Eligible to the Course
The candidate should be a monk or novice ordained under the tradition of Theravada.
✹➤ A novice should be at least 16 years old.
✹➤ There is no upper age limit
✹➤ No prior educational qualification is required.
➠ 𝐌𝐞𝐝𝐢𝐮𝐦 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐞
Course will be conducted by both English and Sinhala mediums. Ones who select to continue studies in English medium has to have at least basic skills in English. Students can choose their preferred medium within the first month of the course.
➠ 𝐏𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐥 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐜 𝐓𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠
✹ Students will also gain the opportunity to improve skills in crafts such as robe colouring, robe making, colouring bowls, making bowl stands and so on.
✹ Students will also gain the opportunity to participate in daily chanting, monastic duties, going for alms rounds and to develop skills in preaching Dhamma (Dhammadesanā) and how to lead Dhanma discussions (Dhammasākacchā).
In addition, students will be imparted with theoretical and practical knowledge in Theravada mediation methods till Arahanthood and performance of vinayakammas (formal acts of discipline).
➠ 𝐇𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐮𝐛𝐦𝐢𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐀𝐩𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬
✹ Following documents are required to be submitted.
➫ For all applicants: A copy of your original ordination certificate.
➫ For all applicants ordained less than five years and Sāmaneras: A written letter from your Preceptor or teacher supporting your application for IIT.
➫ For Sri Lankan citizens:A scanned copy of your identity card.
➫ For non-Sri Lankans: A scanned copy of your passport including copy of your photo.
- Download the application form using the link given below, fill it thoroughly and email us a scanned copy of your application together with the mandatory documents mentioned above.
➥ Email Address: email@example.com
- Download the above application form, fill it thoroughly and send it together with the mandatory documents mentioned above via post.
➥ Postal Address:
International Institute of Theravada.
Heenetikalma, Karuwalagaswewa, Sri Lanka.
Fill in the Google form found in the below link. (Must have a Gmail account)
️☞ Deadline for application submission is 30th of April 2023.
☞ During the first six years of the course new recruitments will not be done.