Can anyone fluent in Pāli read this?

I am wondering if anyone who can read Pāli can also read this:

savata vijitamsi devānanpiyasa piyadasino lāño evamapāpavantesu yathā coḍā pāḍā satiyaputo ketalaputo ā tanbapannī antiyake nāma yona lāja ye vā pi tasa antiyakasa śamino lājāne savata devānanpiyasa piyadasuno lāño dive cikiccā katā manusa cikiccā ca pasu cikiccā ca osadhāni ca yani manusopagāni ca pasuopogānāni ca yata yata nāsti savata pālāpitāni ca lopāpitāni ca mūlāni ca phalāni ca yata yata nāsti savata holapitāni ca lopāpitāni ca ma gesu udapanāni ca khānāpitāni lukhāni ca lopapitāni pati bhogāya pasu manusānam

Even if you cannot, I am wondering what your best try would be in deciphering the above Prākrit. This is a rather famous excerpt from a rather famous text, so if you are already familiar with it, don’t spoil it yet, I am wondering what the best efforts of our Pāli scholars here might be towards understanding it.

They say that this language and Pāli are almost identical. I disagree a little bit, and think that’s a bit of an exaggeration. If this and Pāli are almost identical, so are many other languages. Perhaps Spanish and Galician.

Also try to avoid googling it, as that will immediately reveal the source, language, and translation of this passage.

This might be too much of a hint, but antiyakasa is a name in the genitive case. Lāja is rāja, an unusual phonetic development I did not expect, but definitely not the oddest sound-change that can happen. All (?) of the L’s here are R’s in most Prākrits, including in Pāli.

In addition, if anyone can understand the above, how would you put it into Pāli with minimal changes?

Now that people have had a chance to look at the passage without information, they can scroll down to find that it is an Ashokan edict, if they did not already know.

1 Like

Well, it’s obviously an Asokan edict (no I didn’t have to cheat!) I probably could translate 90% of it into Pali without too much trouble.

Roughly:

sabbattha vijitamhi devanampiyassa piyadassino rañño evaṁ apāpantesu yathā coḷā pāḍa(?) saccaputto ketalaputto (ā?) tambapaṇṇi antiyake nāma yonā …

And so on.

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

What causes your heart-eyes about tanbapannī?

tanbapannī = Sri Lanka

1 Like