Can Insight Path be used to remove Doubt?

One who keeps insight in being diagnoses name. When he diagnoses name he abandons ignorance.

Herein, one eradicates craving by quiet, one eradicates ignorance by insight.

Insight has the characteristic of penetrating how all Dharmas come to be; its footing is all the knowable

-Petakopadesa

Bhikkhus, do you see Sāriputta walking back and forth with a number of bhikkhus?
“Yes, venerable sir.”
“All those bhikkhus are of great wisdom”

Samyutta Chapter 3, 15 (5)

How do you see the training process in suttas?

Now in right category. Question clear in title. Thank you. :smiley:

No, because ignorance is the tenth fetter and they are removed progressively through the four stages of noble persons. The first five fetters are called ‘lower fetters’ because they tie to the sensuous world. The latter five are called ‘higher fetters’ because they tie to the fine-material and immaterial worlds. ‘Craving’ usually means craving for existence in one of the three worlds.

OP: “Herein, one eradicates craving by quiet, one eradicates ignorance by insight.” ‘Craving’ is wrongly used here, it should be sensual desire.

“When tranquillity is developed, what purpose does it serve? The mind is developed. And when the mind is developed, what purpose does it serve? Passion is abandoned.”—AN 2.30

It is necessary to experience the joy of absorption in order to counteract the pleasure of the flesh.

" “Even though a disciple of the noble ones has clearly seen as it actually is with right discernment that sensuality is of much stress, much despair, & greater drawbacks, still — if he has not attained a rapture & pleasure apart from sensuality, apart from unskillful mental qualities, or something more peaceful than that[4] — he can be tempted by sensuality. But when he has clearly seen as it actually is with right discernment that sensuality is of much stress, much despair, & greater drawbacks, and he has attained a rapture & pleasure apart from sensuality, apart from unskillful mental qualities, or something more peaceful than that, he cannot be tempted by sensuality.”—MN 14

This passage shows how both investigation leading to insight and tranquillity are instrumental in overcoming sensual desire. Sensual desire and anger are emotional defilements opposed by right resolve, the three sila factors and right concentration. Ignorance is a mental factor overcome by the development of right view through investigation and insight. In fact the physical and mental factors of the noble eightfold path are interactive, and tranquillity of mind is necessary for the operation of insight.

1 Like

I’m not sure that is convincing. Because a person can become a Sotapanna and he is heading towards Nibbana. Something big must have been removed to be bound to enlightment.

Is there any sutta with more information?

I have seen that suttas play with craving and sensual desire. They probably mean same. If we think too exact then of course it’s not. But you get it already. The meaning is important.

Do you understand this?

I have another question. Maybe you know.

What did Buddha mean when he said the one that is good in Insight has to go to the one good in Samadhi?

I can’t find the reference now

Is possible then some was good in Insight? Then that’s their first path and then they go to someone that has learned and mastered samadhi

In a Ghandhara commentary I found this

Having crossed over doubt: abandoning of ignorance.

That’s what I think ignorance to be. Crossing doubt. And the Sotapanna has removed doubt. What do you think?

What has been removed is doubt by investigating and verifying the four noble truths as the Bodhisatta did by investigating cause and effect in this way:

"And as I remained thus heedful, ardent, & resolute, thinking imbued with sensuality arose in me. I discerned that ‘Thinking imbued with sensuality has arisen in me; and that leads to my own affliction or to the affliction of others or to the affliction of both. It obstructs discernment, promotes vexation, & does not lead to Unbinding.’
[…]
"And as I remained thus heedful, ardent, & resolute, thinking imbued with renunciation arose in me. I discerned that 'Thinking imbued with renunciation has arisen in me; and that leads neither to my own affliction, nor to the affliction of others, nor to the affliction of both. It fosters discernment, promotes lack of vexation, & leads to Unbinding. "—MN 19

Isn’t that getting out of a sort of ignorance? I’m not talking about thy ignorance. In the Ghandhara commentary there is mention of two ignorance.

When you say to your friend, don’t worry those people are ignorant? What does it mean? Isn’t that they don’t see their good and the good of others?

Read again what Buddha said

and that leads to my own affliction or to the affliction of others or to the affliction of both.

That removing ignorance of that fact.

I have already told you before, if a person has wisdom, he can cut off all the doubts.

For worldlings, wisdom is of prime importance. A person endowed with wisdom is able to transcend the suffering of samsara.”

https://suttacentral.net/t1670b2.46/en/guang

I found interesting also how in Jatakas kings just used Wisdom to see Truth in outside objects.