Can mind exist without matter?

The way I understand, mind is arising with mater (gross or subtle) and it is not possible mind to exist without matter.
I am reading the attached text and page 37 it says:

76 Arūpabhava: the highest cosmological realm, where matter has completely disappeared and only
mind exists. This realm consists of four extremely subtle planes, into which rebirth is gained by mastery
over the four formless or non-material meditations.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf1/wh155An … ikaya1.pdf

According to science the universe is ultimately physical (material) . We haven’t discovered the phenomenal (mind) world as yet. We, also do not know how would these two worlds interact.

Have we discovered the fire as yet?

Sorry, but I just can’t resist: “Have you lost your mind?” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is this your attempt to ridicule science? As in What has sience ever done for us?

No.
Don’t you think my question valid?

No, it’s pacified

Could you check the link? I am getting a 404 file not found error.

So, you think there is a mind?

You will get Nober Prize for the answer

Do tell your assumptions

AN 10.81…

“Just as a red, blue, or white lotus born in the water and growing in the water, rises up above the water and stands with no water adhering to it, in the same way the Tathagata — freed, dissociated, & released from these ten things — dwells with unrestricted awareness.”

2 Likes

What is meant by this?

The Arahant’s foretaste, in this lifetime, of the absolutely total unbinding experienced by the awakened mind at death.

Iti44…

And what is the Unbinding property with no fuel remaining? There is the case where a monk is an arahant whose fermentations have ended, who has reached fulfillment, finished the task, laid down the burden, attained the true goal, ended the fetter of becoming, and is released through right gnosis. For him, all that is sensed, being unrelished, will grow cold right here. This is termed the Unbinding property with no fuel remaining.

…Those who know
this state uncompounded,
their minds released
through the destruction
of the guide to becoming,
they, attaining the Teaching’s core,
pleased with ending,
have abandoned all becoming:
they, the Such.

In the same way the Tathagata — freed, dissociated, & released from these ten things — dwells with unrestricted awareness.

1 Like

Then what is restricted awareness?

And what is the Unbinding property with fuel remaining? There is the case where a monk is an arahant whose fermentations have ended, who has reached fulfillment, finished the task, laid down the burden, attained the true goal, ended the fetter of becoming, and is released through right gnosis. His five sense faculties still remain and, owing to their being intact, he is cognizant of the agreeable & the disagreeable, and is sensitive to pleasure & pain. His ending of passion, aversion, & delusion is termed the Unbinding property with fuel remaining.

Thanks Emptiness
Ok, Now I understood.
They are referring to Arahant before death and after death.