Can/should dhamma be applied to treat societal problems?

I believe the Dhamma can be of great help for politicians and leaders when deciding and acting wisely.

I don’t think it could be introduced as an ideology and forced on people - nor could any other ideology. Past attempts at this have almost always ended in tragedy.

For starters, imagine having to introduce vegetarianism or even only faithfulness in sexual relationships in a world where people kill because they’re having to wear a mask for 20 seconds when buying their beer at Walmart. And speaking of beer … good luck with the prohibition.

And all the lovely gentlemen with glassy eyes at the gas station at 2am in the morning are not exactly going to be excited at the prospect of Dhamma being introduced.

Also in sociology there is the well known principle of Hetergony or unintended consequences; that real change often results as an unintended side effect from two or more intended actions (this is also why “new world order” conspiracy theories are not credible. It’s impossible to do it). So by trying to introduce Dhamma you could end up introducing something completely different.

I think so because it’s about standing up for Dhamma and keeping precepts about speaking the truth.

No Dhamma, no Society.

Kind of like “no ticket” in Indiana Jones.