SuttaCentral

Can someone please explain the sutta reference of Nañamoli?

I don’t understand how to search them.

For example (D. iii, 219; cf S. iv, 360)

Actually that’s the first I’m interested in. Can someone give the ref?

But I need to understand to search the rest.

1 Like

Here is a YouTube video that discusses the numbering systems.

Here is an app you can use to convert.

Using the converter, for D iii 219 I get DN 33.

5 Likes

Also, in SC there is no PTS references inside the suttas themselves, only a reference for the start of each sutta, that you can see in the suttaplex card. For example DN 33 starts at page 207, DN 34 at page 272:

So if you want to restrict your search to the specific page of the reference, you can download the PDF of the specific PTS book (the edition in Pali in Roman script, not the edition of the English translation), for example here, the 3rd volume of the Digha Nikaya, which can be downloaded from the Internet Archive:

Then you can go to the desired page 219:

3 Likes

That seems to be a change. Bhante @sujato, can you comment on that? I’m just checking MN1, with “View textual information” turned on, with or without Pali, and for Sujato and Bodhi translations, and I don’t see the PTS page numbers that I recall used to be there.

2 Likes

Yes, you’re right, it seems the textual information has a bug, the necessary data is not being loaded. Sorry about that! I’m not sure when/if this will be fixed, as we are focussed on getting the next-gen upgrade out, and that has a completely different implementation of this. Meanwhile, it should still work on the legacy site.

1 Like

Thanks Bhante. It’s not a huge issue, and I look forward to the next generation! Will that have a way to search for the PTS reference? I know you think that it is rather antiquated, but there are a lot of books and papers out there that use the PTS reference, and when reading those I find myself using the PTS Converter a lot: http://pts.ticao.de/

3 Likes

Unfortunately not, this is not in the current roadmap. The issues is noted, however:

We are waiting for the next edition of our database, which we hope will allow us to revamp search, after a long time! But until it’s ready, we can’t really test it properly.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. I know many brought this question out already. But I got confused with all the information. I think I will see the video. :joy:

1 Like

It needs to be about this.

image image

So I guess it’s in the DN 33 somewhere probably.

The 3 types of concentration.

Bhante @sujato do you think Bhikkhu Nañamoli was referring comparing it to this from DN 33?

Another three kinds of wisdom: wisdom produced by thought, learning, and meditation.

I don’t understand pali but it’s seems to have what I’m looking for. Because it mentions Samadhi. I really need to start learning pali. :sob:

Finally :joy: so easy. Thanks

… “And what, bhikkhus, is the path leading to the unconditioned? Concentration with thought and examination; concentration without thought, with examination only; concentration without thought and examination: this is called the path leading to the unconditioned….”

Bhante @sujato

Do you think like sutta seems incomplete? It seems this sutta is.

The ancient monks probably didn’t need all the sutta teaching. It seems to me. :sob: why the dots??? :scream: :cry:

I believe it is section SC1.10.120 to 121 (SC reference system) of DN 33:

vitakka = thinking (Nañamoli) = placing the mind (Sujato)
vicara = exploring (Nañamoli) = keeping it connected (Sujato)
samadhi = concentration (Nañamoli) = immersion (Sujato)

And S.iv, 360 would be SN 43.3:

Thanks. I wasn’t aware ever of this in my studies. But I understand now thanks to someone else post. :joy: