Can we address a bhikkhu as Prof?

Previous to going forth , taking up monkhood , if a person was a Professor , or doctor , or later as a monk was awarded the title , can s/he being address as Prof etc by other people ?
If someone address such title toward monk, should the monk remind the lay people not to do so ?

1 Like

This is quite common, and seems to be widely accepted. Ven K Sri Dhammananda, for example, is frequently referred to as “Dr.”

3 Likes

My understanding: A good monk will not tell lay people what to do unless they specifically ask him to give instruction to them. A monk may at most not respond if he thinks someone is addressing him impolitely or without respect, but he will not make demands about titles with which he should be addressed, including “venerable” or “bhante”. However in Asian countries a devoted layperson is expected to say “bhante” at all times; and if he is to use “prof” or “Doctor” etc. it may still be expected from him or her to not omit “bhante” or “venerable” or their equivalents in the various languages. In Burma, because monks pursue academic studies up to very high levels, a monk will probably be even flattered if he’s being called “professor” for example, but it will be rather inappropriate for a lay devotee to say “prof” without saying “ashin” at the same time, which means “venerable” in Burmese, especially given that “prof” is a title that can be conferred on other people who are neither devoted laypersons nor even Buddhists.

1 Like

That’s what I try to get at, if the Sangha’s community didn’t educate the public especially the devotees and lay people of the proper way and usage of the
reference , then expect that all types of disrespect will occur to the Buddha Dhamma Sangha etc .

Well , same as when giving any talks, whether by monks or lays,
is an opportunity to address the newcomer especially .

1 Like

Not quite sure I understand what you mean but, the relationship between monks and laity is like any relationship, it’s dynamic and influenced by both parties of the relationship. Respect and disrespect, in my view, is predominantly conditioned by the morality and behaviour of the individual monk, and the level of understanding by the individual layperson. As regards Theravada Asian countries, I never met anyone who was confused about how to call monks, and so there’s hardly any need to educate anyone in that regard. Further, monastics of all religions can only naturally earn their respect, rather than require or impose it.

3 Likes

I think calling a monk a Prof is an insult.
Monk renounces all worldly burdens and there is no need to carry the burden of Prof or Doc.
It is excusable if someone uses these designations without the knowledge.
However, monks can educate the lay people in an indirect way.

2 Likes

[quote="sujato,]
Ven K Sri Dhammananda, for example, is frequently referred to as “Dr.”

Which means you still prefer
the title or venerable to
be addressed ? Otherwise
why it is inappropriate ?

If the monks constantly preaching to the lays about the merits of dana , wouldn’t this is a kind of practice that to lure them to offer requisite ? Why do you think there is any needs to emphasize on dana topic at all ?
Do you consider this type of topic of preaching as education to the lays or public ?

1 Like

Just a social custom. As for the rest of your questions, I really don’t know.

1 Like