Can we experience states of deprivation (Apaya)?

Generally it is accepted that human can experience the state of fine material and immaterial mental states.
The question is can human experience the state of deprivation?

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sagga/loka.html

A Simillar question was raised in DW.

https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18536&hilit=

Only if they have developed divine eye, which has the capability to see those planes.

with metta

Bhante @Dhammanando,
It appears you can experience woeful states in the human realm as well.

Please see page 30 of

Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma.pdf

@SarathW1, do you expect him to reveal a superior human state and thereby electively disrobe himself by commiting a parajika offence?

Please read DW link in my previous post.

According to the Abhidhamma all of the consciousnesses and mental factors that can arise among beings in the lower realms can arise also in the human realm, with just one partial exception. The exception is the dukkha-vedanā experienced in the hell realms. In no realm outside of hell does any living being undergo painful bodily feeling of comparable intensity for even a single moment. Hence the Buddha’s statement in the Bālapaṇḍita Sutta:

“Were it rightly speaking to be said of anything: ‘That is utterly unwished for, utterly undesired, utterly disagreeable,’ it is of hell that, rightly speaking, this should be said, so much so that it is hard to find a simile for the suffering in hell.”>

Apologies. I misread you in the above sentence. I have a tendency to use the word ‘you’ this way as well. :anjal:

with metta

However in the Greater discourse on the Lion’s roar he does find a simile:

(1) “By encompassing mind with mind I understand a certain person thus: ‘This person so behaves, so conducts himself, has taken such a path that on the dissolution of the body, after death, he will reappear in a state of deprivation, in an unhappy destination, in perdition, in hell.’ And then later on, with the divine eye, which is purified and surpasses the human, I see that on the dissolution of the body, after death, he has reappeared in a state of deprivation, in an unhappy destination, in perdition, in hell, and is experiencing exclusively painful, racking, piercing feelings. Suppose there were a charcoal pit deeper than a man’s height full of glowing coals without flame or smoke; and then a man scorched and exhausted by hot weather, weary, parched, and thirsty, came by a path going in one way only and directed to that same charcoal pit. Then a man with good sight on seeing him would say: ‘This person so behaves, so conducts himself, has taken such a path, that he will come to this same charcoal pit’; and then later on he sees that he has fallen into that charcoal pit and is experiencing exclusively painful, racking, piercing feelings. So too, by encompassing mind with mind…piercing feelings. MN12

with metta,

1 Like

Not need and I should apologise for not making it clear.
:anjal:

1 Like

I’m looking at page 30, but I don’t see any statement saying or implying that a human may experience dukkha-vedanā of the intensity experienced by nerayikas. The first paragraph (which I’m guessing is what you have in mind) has to do with the possibility of beings in the three spheres (sensual, refined form and formless) experiencing consciousnesses of the kind found in the other spheres, as for example when a human attains jhāna or when a Brahmā deity converses with a human.

2 Likes