Cannot find Sn 992

I’m trying to find Sn 992 where it is said “sabba dhammakkhayaṃpatto vimutto upadhisaṅ-khaye” ("Mind and dhammas are the last resort of delusion”) but cannot seem to find it. Can anyone help?
Thank you :pray:

Sn 992 does not seem to be a standard reference.
Is it supposed to be a text from Sutta Nipata (Snp) or a Samyutta Nikaya (SN) collection?

This is the link I usually look at when reconciling the more standard collection + sutta number references with the more obscure PTS volume and page number reference type.

https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/Reference/Sutta-PTS.htm

Maybe this is something we find in commentaries?

If that is the case, we may need help of people like venerable @dhammanando who usually is able to find stuff in those paracanonic texts. A possible source is 84000.org

Also, is it the case you got this quote from some material associated with Bhikkhu Katukurunde? It is found in one of the quotes presented in the topic below, but unfortunately not identified.

:anjal:

1 Like

You’ll find it in the Introductory Verses (Vatthugāthā) to the Suttanipāta’s Parāyanavagga.

So hi brāhmaṇa sambuddho,
Sabbadhammāna pāragū;
Sabbābhiññābalappatto,
Sabbadhammesu cakkhumā;
Sabbakammakkhayaṃ patto,
Vimutto upadhikkhaye.

https://suttacentral.net/snp5.1/pli/ms

4 Likes

Thanks once again venerable! :pray:t2:

What do you think is Sn992 referring to? Is it the verse # within the Snp?
:anjal:

Thank you venerable!
I’m not a Pali expert, so why do you think Ven. Nanananda translates this as "Mind and dhammas are the last resort of delusion”?
Also in the text you linked to it says “sabbakammakkhayam” not “sabbadhammakkhayam” and at the end “upadhikkhaye” not “upadhisan-khaye”, why do you think that is?
Thank you

Yes. But knowing the verse number isn’t always helpful because the verses get numbered differently in different editions.

1 Like

Thank you Gabriel, very helpful links!
And yes, this is a quote Ven. Nanananda uses in one of his Nibbana sermons.

1 Like

Ven. Ñānananda is following the Pali Text Society’s reading. As I don’t have a copy to hand I can’t tell you where the PTS got it from. The Sutta Central reading is that of the Burmese and Sinhalese editions.

As to why the venerable translates as he does, I think this question would be better fielded by one or another of the Ñānananda enthusiasts we have here. I’ve never taken much interest in the man and so have only the vaguest notions about his understanding of the Dhamma.

2 Likes

I also came through this question while reading the same book. Trying to find this quote from the internet I found it in the PTS version:
Sutta Nipāta.

It seems the suttacentral has a different version of the pali text. So it is a difference in the original text rather than a misquote.

This looks the same to me, at least the first few lines…
https://suttacentral.net/snp5.1/en/sujato?lang=en&layout=sidebyside&reference=pts&notes=sidenotes&highlight=false&script=latin#pts-vp-pli192

The quoted line of text has the incompatibility between
SC (Sabbakammakkhayaṃ patto, Vimutto upadhikkhaye.) and
PTS(sabba dhammakkhayaṃpatto vimutto upadhisaṅkhaye.) editions.
I initially thought Ven. Nanananda might have made a mistake drawing it out from his memory. But he is consistent with the PTS version not the BJT/CS versions. So I PTS version should be the correct answer for the original question.