Chanting Araham Samma Sambuddho... just a monk or whole group can chant this?

Hello,

I have a question regarding buddhist custom of chanting this phrase:

Araham samma-sambuddho bhagava
Buddham bhagavantam abhivademi.

Svakkhato bhagavata dhammo
Dhammam namassami.

Supatipanno bhagavato savakasangho
sangham namami.

Should this phrase be chanted only by a monk/nun after dhamma talk, or can a group of lay people join and sing/chant along together with the monk/nun? :slight_smile: :anjal:

2 Likes

I canā€™t comment knowledgeably on the ā€œshouldā€ part of this quesdtion, but at the Thai wat I attend in the United States laypeople chant along with the monks when these passages are recited.

4 Likes

When in Romeā€¦

Iā€™ve been in some monasteries where the head monk recites each line and then everyone else (monks, nuns and laity) repeats it after him. Iā€™ve been in other monasteries where everyone chants it together. Iā€™ve never seen it being chanted only by monks when laypeople are present.

5 Likes

Thank you for your answers :anjal: it is good to know :slight_smile:

I do meditation groups and I wondered if it was okay if we chant this all together, I wasnā€™t sure if it is reserved for Sangha but now I know, thank you :anjal:

1 Like

This concerns Padasodhamma pācittiya rule. Padaso dhamma rule restrain chanting with lay people or who ever it is not fully ordained (with upasampadā). Some people argue chanting together without an intention to teach a situation exactly like you are pointing is no offense. But sometimes there are small children and people with no practice of chanting, they cannot get along with the line. Sometimes this makes people even laugh(/ simile. ) So chanting together sometimes could be an offence of pācittiya.
Therefore monks who are concerned about vinaya rules preach whatever the dhamma they chant, they chant it line by line (mostly one quality at a time for this particular passage) to the lay people to follow it up after them. Most monks nowadays chant it together with lay people or sāmanera sāmanerīs. But there still is a doubt of commiting a pacittiya offense by the monks who do.

Pācittiya 4: Padasodhamma

Yo pana bhikkhu anupasampannaį¹ƒ padaso dhammaį¹ƒ vāceyya pācittiyanā€ti.
A monk who teaches an unordained person to learn the word of the Buddha by heart must confess the offense.
(Ven. Brahmali tranl.)

Paritta chanting
It is chanted that way together with dhamma sanga(swākkhātoā€¦ supatipannoā€¦) and few sutta parts considered as paritta as a blessing to the lay people.

Iā€™m aware of that, but what was quoted by Invo isnā€™t part of a paritta chant, i.e., itā€™s not the full list of qualities of the Buddha, Dhamma and Saį¹…gha. Rather itā€™s the lines that serve (in Thailand) as the opening for morning and evening pÅ«jā.

3 Likes

Bhante, now I got itā€¦
After evening pūjā parittachanting is done by the bhikkūs in Sri Lanka.

1 Like