Chanting Question

I have been learning/memorizing chanting in the Dhammayut Order, I use Thanissaro Bikkhu’s online chanting audios and I have his monastery’s chanting book. I have completed the morning and evening chant (all pali) and now wish to continue on the following chants such as ‘contemplation of the body’, ‘five subjects for frequent recollection’, ‘the verses on friends’ etc. Thanisarro bikkhu recites these going back from pali to english.

I plan to go to malaysia soon to Sasanarakkha Buddhist Sanctuary and to other monasteries throughout asia. In general, do asian theravadan monasteries (that are considered international-friendly and know english) go back and forth between pali and english as well? I assume not.

Thus, I’ve look for solely pali audios for these chants online but to no avail. Can anyone offer me direction here?

2 Likes

No; that’s not been my experience (including at SBS, which is wonderful BTW!).

Recitation styles vary very considerably, so be prepared to encounter differences from monastery to monastery. And maybe don’t chant too loudly until you get the hang of the tune. I remember one monk at a centre berating us for sounding like a group of banshees. The next night nobody dared make a sound, so the Venerable ended up doing all the chanting himself :rofl:

7 Likes

The Thai temple here mix pali and Thai, like one sentence pali, then one sentence Thai, but don’t worry too much, when you visit a temple, the monks there generally are more than happy to help you with the chanting, just ask.

4 Likes

Great, okay. And do you or anyone know of online chanting audios done only in audio?

Chanting is good for learning chants as you can follow the audio with the text in a sort of ‘karaoke’ style. I think though that not all the chants have accompanying audio but it may be worth a look.
:pray:

2 Likes

Contemplation of the body and other chants you can find on the Amaravati Monastery website. Click on morning and evening chant to open up the list.

3 Likes

Yes, and im sure they have some audio of the chants on the forest sangha website.

Found a few good pali one’s here (Chanting) at this site. Though some are pali/english, or simply do not have audio attached to it. Thank you!

1 Like

The amaravati site has similar resources with pali only chanting. Thank you!

Can you provide a link, for future readers of this thread?

Is there a side by side ( English - Pali ) copy of the Metta Sutta, BUT with the English translation having the same order of words as the Pali?

After a few weeks of deeper research, with thanks to the direction gained from several responses to this thread, I have amassed a list of buddhist chanting (PALI LANGUAGE ONLY) with links. The purpose of this collection is to have easy access to buddhist chanting audios (outside of the common morning/evening pujas) in the pali language.

Notes to consider:

• This does not include all of the chants found in the average Buddhist chantings book, but only the ones I could find audios for in pali language alone.
  • I recorded the page number according to the Dhammayut Order, Wat Metta Chanting Book translated by Thanisarro Bikkhu. There will be other page numbers in the links connected to other chanting books such as Amaravati’s chanting book.
  • There are sometimes different names for each chant depending on the chanting book / translator. The bolded title of the chants is the Pali and English according to Thanissaro bikkhu and the wat metta chanting book. Some of the links will have different titles.
  • I have included chanting from both amaravati and abhayagiri. While they have the same style of chanting and come from the same lineage, I included both when possible, even for the same chant, as the audios may have different qualities, rhythms, voices, etc.

PALI ONLY CHANTING BELOW

Five Subjects for Frequent Recollection

pg. 25 in wat metta chanting book

5 subjects for frequent recollection | Chanting - YouTube (poor quality)

The Sublime Attitudes / Universal well-being

Pg. 33 in Wat Metta chanting book.

OR

Uddisanadhitthana Gatha, verse for dedicating merit / sharing blessings.

Pg. 38 in Wat Metta chanting book.

Karaniya Metta Sutta, the discourse on Goodwill

Pg. 170 in Wat Metta chanting book.

Pali Chanting In The Abhayagiri Buddhist Monastery | Theravada Buddhism - YouTube starts at 10:45

OR Reflections - The Buddhas Words on Loving-Kindness (Pali - page 36-38) - Amaravati Buddhist Monastery

Dhamma-cakaapavattana Sutta - the discourse on setting the wheel of dhamma in motion.

pg. 45 in wat metta chanting book.

Found here: Pali Chants | dhammatalks.org.

OR Chanting

Anatta-Lakkhana Sutta - the discourse on not-self characteristic.

pg. 55 in wat metta chanting book

Anatta-lakkhana Sutta | Abhayagiri Sangha - YouTube starts at 1:00

OR Suttas - Anatta Sutta - (page 15) - Amaravati Buddhist Monastery

Aditta-pariyaya Sutta - The Fire Discourse

pg. 64 in wat metta chanting book

Maha-samaya Sutta - the great meeting.

pg. 71 in wat metta chanting book

Dhammasangani matika path, the list from the dhamma groupings.

pg. 142 in wat metta chanting book

Pali Chanting In The Abhayagiri Buddhist Monastery | Theravada Buddhism - YouTube starts at 0:30.

Vipassana-Bhumi Patha - the bases for insight.

pg. 146 in wat metta chanting book

Pali Chanting In The Abhayagiri Buddhist Monastery | Theravada Buddhism - YouTube starts at 6:00

Patthana Matika Patha - the list of casual conditions.

pg. 150 in wat metta chanting book

Pali Chanting In The Abhayagiri Buddhist Monastery | Theravada Buddhism - YouTube starts at 4:58.

Pansukula Gatha - reflections for the cast-off robes.

pg. 159 in wat metta chanting book

Pali Chanting In The Abhayagiri Buddhist Monastery | Theravada Buddhism - YouTube starts at 13:35

Namakara Siddhi Gatha - verses on success through homage.

pg. 161 in wat metta chanting book

Paritta Chanting for Jordan's Anagārika Ordination - YouTube starts at 3:10

OR https://amaravati.org/audio/parittas-yo-cakkhuma-page-28/

Namo-kara-atthakam - the homage octet.

pg. 165 in wat metta chanting book

Paritta Chanting for Jordan's Anagārika Ordination - YouTube starts at 5:10

Mangala Sutta - the discourse on blessings.

pg. 166 in wat metta chanting book

Cha Ratana Paritta Gatha - the six protective verses from the discourse on treasures

pg. 168 in wat metta chanting book

OR https://amaravati.org/audio/parittas-yankinci-vittam-page-33/

Khandha Paritta - the group protection

pg. 173 in wat metta chanting book

OR https://amaravati.org/audio/parittas-virupakkehi-me-mettam-page-38/

Dhajagga Paritta - The top of the standard protection

pg. 177 in wat metta chanting book

Buddha-jaya-mangala Gatha - the verses of the buddha’s victory blessings

pg. 181 in wat metta chanting book

OR Parittas - Bahum Sahassam-abhinimmita - (page 50) - Amaravati Buddhist Monastery

Jaya Paritta - the victory protection

pg. 184 in wat metta chanting book

OR Paritta Chanting for Jordan's Anagārika Ordination - YouTube starts at 10:35

OR Parittas - Mahakaruniko Natho - (page 52) - Amaravati Buddhist Monastery

Abhaya Paritta - The danger-free protection

pg. 185 in wat metta chanting book

Devatayuyyojana Gatha - Verses Ushering the Devas back home

pg. 187 in wat metta chanting book

Taking the Eight Precepts (and three refuges)

pg. 192 in wat metta chanting book

——————————

All of the audios by Wat Metta / Thanisarro Bikkhu listed can be found online here: Pali Chants | dhammatalks.org. One can download them altogether at the bottom of the page. Within this, there are also Pali/English chanting audios for chants such as ‘the five subjects for frequent recollection’ or ‘contemplation of the body’. I could not find Pali only chanting audios of these chants, therefore, they are not included in this collection.

4 Likes

This is great! Can it be reposted as a new, Wiki topic? That way we’ll be able to edit and keep up to date in the future

1 Like

Done, thank you!
Gunnar

1 Like

here:

the kammic print of chants can be strong:

1 Like