Chinese Abhidharma text T1506 without a Sanskrit or English name

What do you suppose would be an accurate translation of 四阿鋡暮抄解 into Sanskrit and/or English?

It’s not Abhidharma, but a handbook of Buddhist teachings from the Sammatīya school, sometimes called the Pudgalavadins. The title you’ve asked about is actually that of T1505. I guess the title could be translated as “Explanatory Notes (抄解) on the Four (四) Āgamas (阿鋡暮)”.

The same text was re-translated later with the title 三法度論, which would be “Three Dharma Chapters,” where 度 is read as an abbreviation of 揵度 (khaṇḍa). That title is probably more like the Indic original. Hirakawa lists *Tri-dharmika-khaṇḍa as a possible Sanskrit equiv.

The three chapters in T1506 are on virtuous conduct, bad conduct, and a glossary of topics like the aggregates, senses, elements, cosmology, etc.

2 Likes

I assume there’s no translation yet available? Would be interested in reading one if there were.

Oops, sorry. T1505 it is.

1 Like

According to Bingenheimer’s Bibliography of Translations, there was one published in a journal by Leon Hurvitz in the 1960’s: Bibliography of Translations.

3 Likes

I have that paper by Leon Hurvitz (I have academic access via JSTOR). Please PM me if you want it, I can’t upload it here.
:pray:t5:

2 Likes

Hi cd ,
Actually if not mistaken it belongs to Bhaddayānika school subset of the Vajjiputtakā .

Well, it’s interesting that you say “if not mistaken” when next to nothing is known about exactly which school of Buddhism this text belonged to. We are guessing it was one of the Vatsaputriya sects because it has Pudgalavada positions in it. I probably shouldn’t be so specific about it being from the Sammatiyas, but it seems the most likely possibility to me since there is historical evidence of that school having flourished in India during the period when Daoan and his team translated this text, which was during the 4th c. CE. When Xuanzang traveled through India a couple centuries later, he described large congregations of Sammitiya monks. Whereas, the Bhaddayanikas are almost completely obscure to us today aside from being mentioned in the pedigrees of Buddhist sects. But, it is possible - who knows?

1 Like

Hi , sorry for not included the link to the information when i said so . Pls refer to the link to why i said probably it belongs to Bhaddayānika school .
https://baike.baidu.hk/item/三法度論/4765825