Clay Vessel Sutta?

Hi All,

Has anyone heard of this Sutta?

2 Likes

The neareast I could find was sn42.7, which deals with cracked, porous and uncracked/unporous jars.

What do you think? When that person wants to store water, where would they first store it: in the jar that’s uncracked and nonporous, the one that’s uncracked but porous, or the one that’s cracked and porous?”

3 Likes

There are references to clay pots—if I remember correctly—in the Lotus Sutra but not in that regard. Reminds me of AN 4.133 but certainly is different in content and meaning. (SuttaCentral)

This one translated by Sujato perhaps? It’s not quite the same but similar - https://suttacentral.net/an4.103/en/sujato :

Numbered Discourses 4

1. Clouds
  2. Pots

“Mendicants, there are these four pots. What four?

Covered but empty,
uncovered but full,
uncovered and empty, and
covered and full.

These are the four pots. In the same way, these four people similar to pots are found in the world. What four?

Covered but empty,
uncovered but full,
uncovered and empty, and
covered and full.

And how is a person covered but empty? It’s when a person is impressive when going out and coming back, when looking ahead and aside, when bending and extending the limbs, and when bearing the outer robe, bowl and robes. But they don’t truly understand: ‘This is suffering’ … ‘This is the origin of suffering’ … ‘This is the cessation of suffering’ … ‘This is the practice that leads to the cessation of suffering’. That’s how a person is covered but empty. That person is like a pot that’s covered but empty, I say.

And how is a person uncovered but full? It’s when a person is not impressive … But they truly understand: ‘This is suffering’ …

And how is a person uncovered and empty? It’s when a person is not impressive … Nor do they truly understand: ‘This is suffering’ …

And how is a person covered and full? It’s when a person is impressive … And they truly understand: ‘This is suffering’ … These four people similar to pots are found in the world.”

2 Likes

This sutta is about meditators who practice satipatthana but are without right view.