Community guidelines revision

Hi Suravira

I LOVE this idea.

I know what you mean. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I couldn’t find it in either the current draft or the original guidelines. But I really, really like it and perhaps it should be there.

2 Likes

Is it possible it is a tip that appears just the first time you post?

I agree with this idea and voted “yes”. But it’s a hard thing to regulate, because any issue X can be turned into dhamma issue by reformulating it as “What would the Buddha say about X?”

2 Likes

Perhaps @sujato would know?

I was hoping for a more substantive definition. What is flaming or griefing?

Those comments might be more useful.

As a bit of guideline for self moderation I find the insight above important.

1 Like

Hum. I enjoy your point! How about simultaneously?

My wording is clumsy but here goes:

A space to share Dhamma ideas, understandings and questions using ght Speech, simultaneously strengthening our skill in Right Speech as a practice of the dharma.

Politics is everywhere when it’s seen as competition over, or differing ideas about, the use of limited resources. If “resources” are understood broadly then politics are found nearly everywhere.

The critical difference I propose is whether the communication about the politics is effective and productive on balance or not.
Now that definition comes from secular psychologist Chris Argyris, known his work on effective communication, but it appears to closely parallel key elements of Right Speech.

1 Like

I can appreciate the demand on time of the moderators but I suggest not depending entirely on flagging. The situation can escalate quickly by the time it is flagged …and flagged again.

with metta

Kindly clean-up the attributions here (Feynman 2017-05-10 05:57:39 UTC #55). The 2nd quotation alone refers to the words of cmacie.

Perhaps. Or perhaps not! It seems like a version of the basic introductory guide, maybe?

1 Like

Hello, much thanks for this. @Cara has now posted the guide here:

5 Likes

I have made the mistake of discussing politics here a couple of times and have deeply regretted my decision in both cases. There are thousands of places around the web where people can discuss politics to there heart’s content. I don’t see why another one is needed.

5 Likes

I was confused about what “trust levels” were in the flagging guide so I googled it. Since the flagging guide is locked, here is the link to what they are from the Discourse co-founder himself:

Might not be a bad idea to add that link to the flagging guide.

4 Likes

Thanks again @Mkoll
That’s now added to the flagging guide!

4 Likes

Quite right! At the same time, my personal view is that one of the most important parts of the community guidelines (current & proposed) is the bit under the “Skilful participation” heading:

Engage in discussions that make this forum an interesting place to be — and avoid those that do not.

I myself would extend this to taking up and avoiding responding to comments within discussions rather than just discussions as a whole.

Mods can respond to things that are flagged up, but I kinda reckon the overall quality of content here depends on the community at large taking responsibility.

6 Likes

I too, have been guilty of this and I too shall mend my ways. :slight_smile:

Dan, FWIW, I have always found these posts of yours to be thoughtful and beneficial. Just yesterday, I was reading the Summer Tricycle, and there is a discussion there about politics and Buddhism. Many people feel that Buddhist teachers should avoid political issues; others feel there is a nexus between Dhamma/Dharma and political issues. I fall in the latter group, and would always welcome your perspectives on social, global, political issues that resonate with Dhamma themes. I feel that these issues that concern the health and welfare of people and the planet are too important to not have strong Buddhist voices involved. There is an art and a science as to how this integration is done, but I feel that in the right context, it can be very beneficial. You have added to the positive side of the equation with your thoughtful posts, in my view.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughtful, good-natured words AnagarikaMichael, but again, trying to keep things focused on revisions for the community guidelines here (as set out in the OP), would you like to formulate these ideas into a suggestion for the guidlines update?

@Aminah…sorry I drifted off topic. My impulse was to respond to Dan the way I did, and I wasn’t mindful of the OP theme.

In terms of the guidelines update, yes, I am happy to review that in some detail. If I can offer anything of value, I"ll send it you. So far, my scan of the guidelines revealed excellent work on your and other’s parts in amending the guidelines. They look great so far. I’ll review, and if I feel I can offer anything of value, I’ll write in…

1 Like