Companion animals

Me and my wife have 3 cats who we love. None from breeders, and we try to get ones unlikely to get adopted otherwise. One has cancer and is undergoing chemo, so the end of life issues are on my mind. We had a cat previously who we euthanized but I have grappled with whether that was the right decision and the right time ever since. This time I am trying to avoid it, but since its a 2 person decision here, it isn’t simple.

I have also thought about catnip. I suppose I am being scrupulous here but I try to avoid giving it to them. I see it as part of the 5th precept to discourage use of intoxicants by others. Plus, I don’t really think cats get anything out of catnip based on my observation! Just stoned!

In terms of neutering or spaying, well that’s hard. It does lower incidences of some cancers which is good, and limits some territorial aggression. Does it cause harm? I suppose some discomfort when recovering from the surgery. I am not sure they know the difference though. I have had pets that seemed happier after neutering or spaying.

I don’t see anything wrong with having companion animals. My take on it has always been to get animals from shelters who others may not take (we do black cats often because they are often not adopted, stupid superstition) or friends give them to us because they can’t bring them when they move (they would go to the shelter anyway). So I try to view it as an opportunity to practice generosity, taking them in even if it isn’t convenient for us, or if the animal is annoying or something. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:slight_smile: yes, this is pretty much my view; and compassion over orthodoxy, especially compassion over comfort or confusions, seems more aligned with Buddha’s Teaching as I experience it.

So many excellent helpful thoughts in this diversity of thoughts above! You all are generous, this being feels honored wih the thoughtfulness of all!

3 Likes

I so understand this!!! We might have some similar history in education, with the term scrupulous.

I’m the son of 2 Educators, so it may have distilled down :smiley:

Now seems to be hospice time for this companion animal, and her adoptive family… we each and especially together seem to be benefiting from the experience at the moment. :slight_smile:

This might not be “kosher” but i cannot quite see this animal’s behavior as devoid of intention, or effort, but perhaps that might just seem to be dust in the eyes. :slight_smile: But then there are those jakata stories from animal POVs; no worries :slight_smile:

May all beings have peace and be freed from suffering.

3 Likes

That is as it should be. Thank you for letting us know. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Animals have intentions, compassion, companionship, and create karma and experience the effects AFAIK. Our brains seem to work in a pretty similar manner to theirs so I think it’s something we can infer about animals.

With metta

2 Likes

For the particular companion animal in my care, family and friends are well into a hospice sort of phase. The furry one is less comfortable, less mobile, with little energy, and eats almost nothing; but we all (humans and kitteh) have found little ways to comfort each other; the furry one does not hide, asks politely or strongly for what she needs, which is mostly water and grooming and attention. Rarely, it becomes exhausting, but that rises and ceases, we observe it in our own ways. The humans talk about death, and dying, and the arc of a 20 year life. One really rough day, i talked quietly to the furry one about the 4NT and how death is nothing new, nothing abnormal, etc. I suppose it probably was the calm present voice of her human companion which gave her comfort.

:slight_smile: This could just sound absurd, i suppose. But … it is amazing. We all know what is happening, it seems.

edit: i seem to be having empathy (or over active imagination, pethaps) as her body progresses toward end of life. ::shrug:: it enables me to interpret her body language, and help make her comfortable, and help decrease the worries of the other members of this small circle.

By the way @Mat thank you for comments above.

5 Likes

I am continually moved by your observations of the furry one’s hospice experience.

Much love to her and her circle.

6 Likes

Cold furry body
Soon to become ashy dust
Time stops for no One.

Her vehicle died
in the arms of mine. Gladly
i observe this pain.

So mortality
ripens in every body.
Metta to all life.

8 Likes

The poem is beautiful. :pray:

7 Likes

Dear @ERose
What a beautiful poem. I am sorry for the loss of your furry companion, and am glad you were there with her at her passing. Sounds like she was blessed to have your compassionate presence in her life.

My former kitty, who I adopted from the shelter at 6 months (despite being somewhat allergic to cats) because he was so ill and near starvation when he was found (and would have been ‘put down’, as they call it, by the shelter) was with us for 19 years, a sweet, dear and beloved friend and companion. He used to sit on my lap and I would read him suttas. After a long 3-year illness (during which after each time the vet said he was on death’s doorstep he made a ‘miraculous’ recovery, until the last…) died a natural death a few days after he stopped eating, and the night after he stopped drinking.

8 Likes

:slight_smile: That too sounds like a beauful life, a beautiful relationship, and a good death.

A good death: one without fear, with relative clarity and awareness, with out anger or guilt, without craving as much as possible, with good companship and coaching through the strong sensations or worries, with peaceful environment and persons near, without hurry or rushing. … Sounds pretty good, neh?

"Hospice care " even with non language life forms may be very tough, but also worthwhile imo

edit add: i may miss the companionship. But i have the memories, the lessons made possible… until this life also ends.

5 Likes