Contemporary definition of jhana

Yes. Large chunks of the day are spent without verbal thought, all those automatic things like doing the washing up can be very happily spent without thinking, just attending to the dishes. But this isn’t the same as it’s not so much an absence of thought but more of an impossibility to direct the mind to thought, if that makes sense. It not that I don’t think, it’s more that I can’t think at this stage.

Heh! Yes I know that one! If I go searching, it never comes. It’s only when I give up and wait in the silence without expectation that it comes. The attitude that I adopt is one of making myself worthy of gifts that I have already been given, not seeking out new gifts.

mmm… so I’m not sure that this is possible, or it would (figuratively) mean a turning around and that would take an extreme amount of effort at this point to summon the will into action. For me there is just a natural glide into and through the light. But I’ll definitely give it a go and see what happens.

I have found a table on Wikipedia regarding the Ānāpānasati Tetrads that you mention comparing with Satipaṭṭhāna - which I found useful. Is it an accurate representation?

Up until recently I hadn’t even heard of jhana, but I have meditated in a different tradition for most of my life. I’m retired now and so I’m doing a little digging into other spiritual traditions. So this is really part of me gaining an understanding of what the Buddha meant when he talked about first to fourth jhana and the immaterial absorption’s. I’m trying to map what the Buddha said with experience so that I can then see what else is required from a Buddhist point of view. Things like right speech seem so clearly stated and easy to map against experience, but right concentration seems less obvious to me and it seems there are large differences between teachers. Having said that, my current understanding is that jhana in general are ‘states of being’. And first jhana is that state the other side of the light that I talk about above. I say this because it is such a seismic shift from the usual reality which is this side of the light.

Thank you for the videos @amimettalove, I look forward to watching them to get some different perspectives.

Yes. I’ve no doubt that they are, but what I’m trying to get to is an understanding of what they are? Say you wanted to nail two bits of wood together. You would probably need a nail and a hammer. The hammer is probably attainable, but if I mistook a screwdriver for a hammer, then the job would be rather difficult or maybe even impossible.

3 Likes

I think you got the right approach.
:anjal:

1 Like

The jhanas are attainable for everyone or the Buddha would not have taught them as the definition of Right Concentration. Otherwise it would be the Noble 7 and sometimes 8 fold path.

I think the issue is really dedication and whether someone is setting themselves and their minds up to be conducive to and to lean into Jhana. If one watches a lot of TV for example or plays a lot of video games or listens to a lot of music or creates/participates in worldly dramas and does not let go (intention of renunciation) the aggregates and the Hindrances then by definition they will have challenges with Jhana and any sort of deep transformative meditation at all.

However, if one is very mindful throughout the day, reads Suttas, meditates twice or more daily for at least 45 mins, Jhana is attainable. The Buddha repeatedly said, if it wasn’t possible, I wouldn’t teach it…and this must be for Jhana also as it is such a critical key step (8the step) on the path that we must take.

Of course doing longer retreats is helpful, but there is no reason why Jhana cannot be entered in lay life. It just may take a more extended sitting practice of 1 to 2 hours per day and even per session.

The thing I’ve seen over the years is that short meditations, while helpful, simply are not enough to make any serious progress towards deeper meditation and developing concentration strength and moving towards Jhana. Remember that wanting Jhana is a sense desire and will block it. It is only by continual renunciation of all that arises except the wholesome object of meditation that will provide the soil for Jhana to be revealed and entered. It’s not really entering though as in entering a room, it’s more that we’re already in the room and we have to let go of everything that is blocking our perception of the room by clinging to thoughts and sensory input, aka the hindrances and the aggregates.

1 Like

I think you will find Leigh Brasington’s book the most helpful. I do mainly loving kindness and the book talks more about anapanasati, however he states Metta is another object.

Bhante Vimalaramsi says, and this is my experience also, that Metta is much faster at producing Jhana.

Here is my theory why.

The 7 factors of enlightenment/awakening are:

• Mindfulness
  • Investigation of dhamma/phenomena
  • Energy
  • Rapture/Joy
  • Serenity/tranquility
  • Concentration
  • Equanimity

This is in order of the cultivation and realization of the jhanas. First mindfulness is used to let go of the Hindrances and attachment to the jhanas, you do that by investigating the phenomena/dhamma that arises and letting it go (can’t let it go unless the mindfulness sees it), Energy is required to overcome sloth and torpor and Metta is very uplifting by nature, then Rapture and joy arise due to seclusion from unwholesome states and the hindrances, then tranquility comes (think sukkha overtaking piti in 2nd Jhana and thought seriously diminishing or stopping), as this happens in the 2nd Jhana the mind becomes very very collected and concentrated on the object without wavering much at all, then the piti leaves ( is abandoned) and the Equanimity becomes prodominant with some sukkha still but this really deep imperturbable Equanimity.

The factors of awakening really describe all 4 jhanas because in the 4th pleasure and pain disappear and there is only deep deep, unshakeable Equanimity.

So, anapana can and will lead to all the jhanas, however Metta fulfills more of the factors of awakening as a result of the practice itself and leans towards Jhana more easily in my experience.

• Metta requires mindfulness to start

• Metta analyses dhamma in that the mindfulness creates wholesome mind states/wishes of good will and abandons unwholesome states (discernment is required here /aka analysis of qualities/dhammas)

• Metta creates Rapture very easily (much more easier than anapana due to the fact that the practice is to arouse thoughts/feelings of happiness/joy and good will and this gladens the mind/ body automatically and progressively

• When the mind is producing good will joy and serenity arise (think of the feeling of relaxing at the beach. The mind just becomes peaceful by being in the sun. Metta is our inner sun, all we have to do is allow the clouds/hindrances to clear by gently bringing our attention back to wishing/feeling/radiating good will

• This joy and Rapture become stronger as we begin to shift from the thinking Metta to the feeling that becomes apparent immediate or with time and produces strong concentration as we continue to use Mindfulness to re-collect the mind back towards sending/feeling Metta (think of gathering awareness)

• Deep Equanimity is created/realized due to no unwholesome states.

Metta by definition is Right Effort. (Abandoning unwholesome and cultivating wholesome mind states.

Anapana works, but why not at least do some Metta at the beginning to incline the mind towards the factors of awakening, if not use Metta as one’s meditation subject for the entire sitting.

The Kariyana Metta Sutta states that loving kindness can provide complete deliverance from rebirth.

I hope this is helpful. My intention is to help others to make real progress. This community is so wonderful. It is so wonderful that we analyse the Suttas together and learn from each other. However, it is important to remember and heed the Buddha’s words about practice and knowledge and get on the cushion.

From Pairs - The Dhammapada

"19. Much though he recites the sacred texts, but acts not accordingly, that heedless man is like a cowherd who only counts the cows of others — he does not partake of the blessings of the holy life.

“20. Little though he recites the sacred texts, but puts the Teaching into practice, forsaking lust, hatred, and delusion, with true wisdom and emancipated mind, clinging to nothing of this or any other world — he indeed partakes of the blessings of a holy life.”

Going to sit now.

Thank you for reading.

:pray:

5 Likes

It can be done both ways. As you say, the breath can be ‘summoned’ back or use the nimitta as the object for further progress. The problem with the light is that it is shaky and doesn’t present a very good object because of that, IMO, whereas the breath is always present, but you might find the light easier for now.

Yes it is straight from MN118 the Anapanasati sutta. I think you are somewhere in the second tetrad of development, but again it is hard to say.

Good luck with your meditation! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder how useful it is focusing on Nimittas when, to the best of my knowledge, the Buddha never instructed us to focus on any lights, except if using the perception of light to overcome sloth and torpor.

When I stayed at Wat Pah Nanachat, Ajahn Kevali instructed us to just stay with the breath and disregard any Nimittas.

What I have read in Leigh Brasington’s book says to just know that this is a sign post and to not bother with it and only switch to a pleasant feeling when the access concentration (notified by the presence of light and or slowing/cessation of breath).

The Buddha did say to focus on Rapture and joy in the anapanasati Sutta and so it might be best to follow the Buddha’s advice directly instead of the commentaries which can lead off into endless diversions from the Buddha’s direct and original teachings and instructions.

1 Like

I have a close friend, we talk on the phone for an hour each week, have been for almost 12 years. I know him intimately well and have a pretty clear grasp of the scope of his meditation practice. He’s been meditating a long time but it doesn’t resemble anything Buddhist; no consideration of right mindfulness, right concentration, the hinderances, factors of awakening, those types of disciplines.

A couple of years ago he had a few one-on-one consultations with Doug Kraft, described to him his meditative experiences and Doug told him that he was experiencing 4th jhana. I am not a judge of another, but if that friend told me that he experienced 1st jhana I would be highly, highly skeptical. Based on what my friend said to Doug, I was quite literally stunned that he could come to the conclusion of 4th jhana.

I don’t like being critical of a person! Please let me know if this is out of line and I’ll delete this post!

2 Likes

What I gather from Doug Kraft and Bhante Vimalaramsi is that the jhanas are not as unattainable as we think. The Buddha simply would not have taught them if they were unattainable.

I can’t say for sure, but it is possible that there are grades of Jhana, but from my experience, what Doug explains in the series on his Easing Awake youtube channel and what Bhante Vimalaramsi explains in his dhamma talks on his youtube channel, I have experienced the 3rd jhana many many times. I can’t say for sure about the others, but I have had some experiences of there being nothing inside and I’m not sure if this is the 7th jhana or not.

In Leigh Brasington’s book, he says it is possible to skip jhanas, say from 4th to 6th, for example.

Here is an explanation of the instructions for entering the 1st jhana by Leigh Brasington.

The thing I know is that this topic doesn’t need to be as nebulous or hyper analysed as it is. We can experience Jhana, it does have an affect on our lives, but there are levels of jhana from what I understand (experience and fruit?).

All I can say for sure is that longer meditations are needed to access jhana and it has to be consistent every day for any chance at getting there. In my experience, it takes minimum 45 minutes to get there and the cumulative effect of daily long sits increases the likelihood of reaching a jhanic state.

The Buddha taught this path that is hard, but attainable. We need to be mindful all day long to make it easier to get somewhere in our meditations when we sit down in stillness. We need to sit daily, at least twice a day and for minimum 30 minutes to 45 or long per session to make and serious progress, although there is benefit to any amount of meditation.

The other thing I know is, we can’t know what someone else’s experience is and we should seek counsel of those who have great experience in meditation (could be exceptional lay teachers like Doug Kraft or Leigh Brasington also). Bhante Vimalaramsi knows things and reads the suttas in ways I have not heard many monastics talk about things and that tells me that he has experience in the jhanas and not just from reading about them.

The best thing we can do is actually get to work. The Buddha extolled a sense of urgency in the practice. Every moment counts and over thinking the practice is not practice. It’s like thinking about playing hockey and playing hockey being a completely different experience. We must get on the ice and skate and in this sense get on our cushion and meditation with great zeal and effort (gentle but great effort).

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/thag/thag.01.00x.than.html#passage-39
Tissa (Thag 1.39) {Thag 39}

As if struck by a sword,
as if his head were on fire,
a monk should live the wandering life
— mindful —
for the abandoning of sensual passion.

This is a reminder for me. To sit more, to dedicate more of my life and energy to mindfulness and meditation so I can reach the Jhanas with some regularity and therefore purify my mind.

We are here together, supporting each other and so we are stronger together, but we must all do our own work.

I wish anyone reading this great luck, motivation, energy and success in their meditation as I wish this for myself.

May we all reach the end goal in this lifetime. Who knows what the next life will bring if we don’t make it out of Samsara.

Metta

1 Like

http://www.katinkahesselink.net/tibet/jhana-2.html

Here is a good website with instructions on how to enter each Jhana. Of course the higher you go, the more ambiguous the instructious get because each arupa jhana is less and less tangible.

Ayya Khema and Bhante Vimalaramsi are the ones with the most clear instructions on the Jhanas as well as Leigh Brasington and Doug Kraft, however if there are other instructions and teachers that are clear and direct please share. :slight_smile:

Then there’s the idea the textual tradition are secondary to oral tradition.

But EBT, taken as a religion, asserts that “our”/“my” contemporary interpretation of the (supposed) letter of the texts supersedes centuries of oral lineage.

One’s own imaginings are better than guidance of a teacher with decades of experience who also learned from similar fore-bearers?

Paradox on all sides.

(by the way:

was this article referenced already?)

@amimettalove

The experience is that the pleasant sensation grows in intensity until it explodes into an unmistakable state of ecstasy. This is Piti, which is primarily a physical experience. Physical pleasure this intense is accompanied by emotional pleasure, and this emotional pleasure is Sukha (joy) which is the fourth factor of the First Jhana.

!?!?!?
I would hardly listen to this nonsense.
Aren’t the EBTs talking about just the contrary, as in:

‘Don’t you know, you fool,
That maxim of the arahants?
Impermanent are all formations;
Their nature is to arise and vanish.
Having arisen, they cease:
Their appeasement is blissful.’
SN 1.11

What kind of appeasement is that emotional pleasure born of an explosion of ecstasy.

1 Like

Piti (Rapture) is the primary quality of the first Jhana (born from seclusion of sense desires.)

So it is not a grasping of Rapture and pleasure/gladness (sukkha), it is not renouncing sense desires that this wholesome pleasure arises and we stay with it for a time.

Piti and sukkha of the jhanas are called blameless pleasure by the Buddha. He realized that under the rose apple tree the pleasure he experienced as a boy was blameless and would lead to awakening.

This is the pleasure that is not dependent upon the world we can use to get out of seeking worldly pleasures and eventually we let go even the blameless pleasure as we enter the arupa jhanas.

I thought I’d share this article series which looks at the jhānas from an EBT standpoint.

An overview of the series:

• Jhana Wars! Pt. 1 What is Jhana Really?
  • Jhana Wars! Pt. 2 Is Jhana Really Necessary (hint: yes)
  • Jhana Wars! Pt. 3 Did The Buddha Invent Jhana?
  • Jhana Wars! Pt. 4 Jhana Heavy vs. Jhana Light
  • Jhana Wars! Pt. 5 The Jhana Formula
  • Jhana Wars! Pt. 6 The Great Nimitta Debate
  • Jhana Wars! Pt. 7 Doing Vipassana During Jhana?
3 Likes

I think many people experience an initial 5 hindrance free samadhi, and think it is the first jhana, just because it is different enough from your normal state of mind. While it is definitely commendable being able to achieve such a state of samadhi the first jhana arises much deeper into that samadhi.

Without a sudden shift in what one is aware of in deep samadhi there wont be any 1st jhana. For it to be labelled as such it has to be distinct.

with metta

1 Like

The sutta doesn’t say that. At the end it says “By not holding to fixed views, The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision, Being freed from all sense desires, Is not born again into this world.”
."

1 Like

Hello

Till now i couldn’t find anywhere in the Suttas “passage of air through nostrils” as a support for absorption / attaining Jhanas.
The only expression i could find more or less related to the subject was “… and pays attention to the fore…” (Anapanasati Sutta) . But perhaps i missed something ?

Thanks

How do you interpret the anapanasati then if not as respiration?

With metta

@Mat

It is about breathing yet we find in no sutta what is the best way to focus on breathing in terms of meditative absorption. So the following is mainly based upon my experience and other sources than the Suttas (except for 1.) :

• There are at least 3 ways to focus on breathing:
  1. to follow inhale-exhale in its entirety , globally,without focusing on a precise point of breathing.
    2.pay attention to the sound of inhalation and exhalation
    3.Focus on the passage of air through the nostrils

The only one that we can infer from the suttas and still vaguely seems to be 1.

Bronkhorst in his book “Absorption” raises (indirectly) this problem: there are no precise indications as to which tool the Tatagata himself used to reach the Jhanas.

There are obviously different schools of thought regarding this. There is a view (which I’ve only heard on the Internet) that the Suttas are a complete manual. However, even the introductory section of the Anapanasati sutta: SuttaCentral suggests that the mendicants were getting considerable personal instruction. As do the “gradual training suttas” such as MN 107 SuttaCentral and suttas such as AN 4.94 SuttaCentral

As for the person who has neither serenity nor discernment: they should approach someone who has serenity and discernment and ask: ‘Reverend, how should the mind be stilled? How should it be settled? How should it be unified? How should it be immersed in samādhi?’ How should conditions be seen? How should they be comprehended? How should they be discerned?’ That person would answer as they’ve seen and known: …

The counterargument one hears is that

The Realized One doesn’t have the closed fist of a teacher when it comes to the teachings.
SuttaCentral

However, the suttas do seem much more clear about results than technique: the characteristics of the jhanas, the nature of understanding of various aspects of the Dhamma, …

Ancient and modern meditation manuals (such as the Visuddhimagga, or the dozens of books one can download and/or buy today) do go into detail of technique. And they differ quite a lot!

So perhaps the lack of detail on technique is deliberate. The results are important, whether you get there by focussing on the breath at the nostrils, or some other technique is not. You need the technique that works for you…

To be somewhat provocative, perhaps I could propose that technique is not Dhamma. The results are Dhamma. Check the results against the teachings, and don’t worry about where to focus on the breath, where to focus during walking meditation, what the correct way to enter jhana is, and so on…

5 Likes