Contributing to Korean translation

Hi,

I have found that this great site doesn’t have any Korean translation at the moment. Ideally I would contribute a line by line translation of Bhikkhu Sujato’s English version under CC license using the UI (https://bilara.suttacentral.net/) over a few years, but currently the UI doesn’t allow Korean input (there is no ‘ko’ in the language list). I suspect this is a bug (maybe the unavailabiliity of https://suttacentral.net/?lang=ko is related too).

Could anybody help me to contribute in the current status? I am github friendly, so may be able to fork and fix issues under some guidance.

Regards,
gloine

2 Likes

There needs to be some way of making the reader know that these are secondary or tertiary translations (made from English or other translated source, which itself may be from yet another source) to ensure the reader understands what the original is that is being translated. Atleast something to the effect that it is not a primary translation from the Pali.

There is. If one uses Bilara, there is a blurb where one has to state all the sources and methodology. One can explain which texts were relied upon more heavily and which were only referenced for comparisons.

1 Like

Greetings @gloine , thank you for offering to contribute translations to SuttaCentral! It’s amazing actually that there is no translation in the language of a country with a traditional Buddhist history. So this sounds like exciting!

In any case, SuttaCentral has its own translation software, Bilara, which supports new translations directly from the source language as well as those that rely on the English translation by Bhante Sujato, as you wish to do.

I just checked the language list, and there is ko in the list of languages of SuttaCentral, even if there is not a single translation in that language, nor has the interface been translated.

Screenshot from 2024-07-09 13-44-40

In theory, there are two kinds of translation projects possible: site translation, which also includes essays, indexes etc. available from the Home page, and translation of actual Buddhist texts (sutta, vinaya, abhidhamma).

In order to make SuttaCentral an easily accessible resource for Korean speaking users, a site translation (or at least translation of the some essential parts of this) would be very valuable. And of course would it be most desirable to have the actual texts available this language. As you rightly say, this would be a project over many years.

In Bilara, in order to work on a translation project in any given language, such a project needs to be set up for you. Let me tag here @carmi who supports translators by setting up projects and much more, as well as Bhante @Snowbird and Bhante @sujato .

There is no bug, it’s simply that no Korean project has been set up so far, and the interface hasn’t been translated into Korean yet.

Before starting a project: Can you say a little about your own background? I suppose you are fluent in Korean and in English, but do you have any experience in translation work, or in writing in your native language in general? It’s always nice to see where someone is coming from.

For Bilara translations, CC0 license is always required.

Probably so far for now, to start with. I am always here for any questions related to working with Bilara.

2 Likes

This is always the case. You just have to click the “i” icon at the top of any page with a translated text to find all information about this translation (in the language of the translation, of course, as in this case, German):

1 Like

Thank you! I have no problems with CC0 license and translated one book from English to Korean in the past (which was 20+ yrs ago so not really avail now). I am rather experienced in writing, mostly academic papers, thanks to my Ph.D. degree. I can also work on site translation.

There are two major Korean translations of Nikaya but none of them are available under CC0 and printed books are expensive. My main motivation is to provide a freely available version in Korean.

I will wait for further instructions for now. Just let me know!

2 Likes

This sounds all good, thank you.

Sadhu, this is actually what SuttaCentral was meant for.

Yes, let’s wait what Bhante @sujato says. We need his okay in order to proceed.

Welcome to the forum!

SuttaCentral hosts two types of translations. The first type is done through the Bilara app and is called “aligned”. The license on those must be CC0.

The other type of translation is called “Legacy”. Those are simple html files (and therefore can’t be viewed line by line with the Pali). The license on those can be anything at all so long as permission is given to host on SuttaCentral.

(All with Bhante Sujato’s approval…) if you could secure permission from the owners of the existing Korean translations and a digitized version could be found or created it is relatively easy to get them up and available for people.

As far as the interface, I have been guiding people on that. I will contact you by DM here to discuss.

BTW, you haven’t mentioned if you are a native Korean speaker?

1 Like

Dear Jaehyung, thanks so much for the kind offer, we would love to host Korean translations.

Good to know.

Right, that was my understanding too.

Well, let’s have a private chat with @carmi and see how to proceed.

2 Likes

It would be great but not a high chance…I may try to talk to the authors though.

I am a native Korean speaker. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t bother, we’ve already been down this road with Korean translations.

1 Like

Well, it’s unfortunate that these translations into Korean haven’t yet been made widely available. The Jogye Order has been very generous in providing their Collected Works (in English translation) for free. Anumodana to @gloine for your aspiration :blush:

2 Likes

I wonder if it makes sense to collect all of this information somewhere. Esp. who was asked when. I wouldn’t be surprised if after a number of years rights owners were willing to let out some of their texts.

1 Like