Converting the measurements from the Buddha's time into modern units

I already sent feedback to Ajahn @Brahmali via email, he got the full, unpolished 6,000 word version of it based on the 45cm colonial hattha, before I decided that the Sp isn’t actually trying to tell us anything about cloth measurement. In-line commentary is not my preference. I hope that Ajahn @Brahmali will still talk to me in the future after he has finished reading my chickenscratch notes :pray:

3 Likes

Lol! Of course I will talk to you. In fact even more than before. I am very grateful for all your feedback. I haven’t responded yet because I have taken a mini-break from translation. But I can guarantee you will hear from me in due course. But in case there should be any lingering doubt: thank so much for your generous support!

4 Likes

I’ve thought about this a bit more, and I have a better idea now.

hattha–>vidatthi isn’t actually outside the realm of simple human error (listener effects due to phonetic similarity). I was doing transcripts recently, and I consistently misheard Jayasekera as Wijesekera. It’s a perceptual matching thing on the account of the listener; some of these errors can be idiosyncratic & are more likely to happen with dialect/non-standard speakers. I know it looks a little out there, but personally, I wouldn’t underestimate the role of listeners as a source of error…vidatthi is nearly undoubtedly in error.

4 Likes