Correcting the CPED

:anjal:

Dear Bhante @Sujato,

Pingo definitely perplexed me so I highlighted that. Thank you for the allowance to make changes. Also, plough/ploughing showed up a lot so I changed all of them to plow/plowing.

with respect, reverence, and gratitude,
russ

Dear Bhante @Sujato,

Please know that I have completed all the necessary changes to US English. The next process I’m gonna do is to go through each cell, proof read, and check for grammar (ex: "hose"instead of “whose” ) and punctuation (ex: unnecessary hyphens). I should be able to complete the list by this weekend and get it to you no later than Sunday, Taiwan time.

with respect, gratitude, and reverence,
russ

1 Like

Dear Bhante @Sujato,

I have finished going through the list with being this evening my final combing-through. Here’s what has been done:

-all spellings converted to US(American) spelling
-spell checked all terms
-corrected the punctuations
-expanded incomplete descriptions (ex: type of plants and animals) wherever extent I could
-looking out for non-native English speakers, I’ve simplified a few words and corrected the grammar to make it easier to understand

Please see the attached .zip file.

Thank you again for giving the opportunity to assist with this task. I am confident that this will help a lot of people .

russ

cped_data_USspelling.zip (493.9 KB)

1 Like

Ta very much, I’ll have a look at this, then we can look at Stage 2.

Updated. dep0.3 is the latest.

Here’s an updated version of the file @Russell just supplied. Russell’s changes were carefully done and well considered, so thanks for that. I have kept these changes, and to them I have added a few improvements to the first 230 entries. This is something that I was playing around with these past few days to get an idea what is needed.

What I’ve done is to make a small start on the more advanced corrections as outlined above, namely:

• Add words and meanings that are listed in DOP as occurring in the EBTs. This is the most important task.
  • Correct Pali spellings.
  • Correct and expand details in grammatical entries.
  • Fill out the info under “regular forms”. Not a very descriptive title, but basically this gives the normal form under which the elements of the word appear in the dictionary. Eg. akataññū = a+karoti+jānāti.
  • Bring the abbreviations in line with those used in DOP (and CPD). (This is done throughout, but only checked for the first 230 entries) Here is the file for this: abbreviations_dep.ods.zip (17.0 KB)
  • Add a few details, like alternative spellings of the Pali word.
  • In a few cases, I have split the entries, where the entry contains two forms that have both different grammar and different meaning. Eg. akkhidhutta is split into one for the adjective, meaning “addicted to gambling”, and one for the noun, “gambling addict”.
  • Add an extra column listing words not found in the EBTs, and marked with [brackets] meanings not found in EBTs. This is just according to the references given in Cone, so is not 100%, but should be fairly robust.
  • Add extra column that simply lists in order the original entries, so we can keep track of added terms.
  • Add extra column for stems. The previous column marked “stems” was in fact just mechanically truncated forms, so is relabelled as such. Identifying stems based on the Saddaniti file, which I posted a few days ago, is hard! I am not at all confident in doing it, and it really needs someone who has made a proper study of Pali stems. For now, it’s just there as an idea, I haven’t taken it far enough to be useful.

dep0.3.ods.zip (690.3 KB)

From here, I think the best thing is to work from DOP to add and correct the entries as best as possible. This requires some familiarity with Pali, but not at an advanced level. One key is to identify the references and know which of them refer to the EBTs. Apart from that, it’s mostly a matter of careful reading and editing. If we have more than one volunteer, we could spilt the job up by letters, and check each other’s work.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Best Pali dictionary for Android or online

I’ve ordered the DOP, so I think I could do this part, and also

and

If that would be helpful, let me know.

1 Like

Great, that sounds good. I can share with you a scanned pdf of DOP if that would help. Let me know, we’ll probably have to email or dropbox it or something, they’re big files.

Also, let me know before you do any work on this. I am making some changes locally, and I don’t update the file here every day!

This is pretty much done, it’s just a matter of keeping an eye out for errors.

Yes it would be, you can see in the current file I simply put a 0 when the CPED entry has no EBT references in DOP.

What I’d suggest is that we work out a way of working that is congenial to both of us in terms of file types or whatever. I’d suggest if we are to collaborate, use a spreadsheet on Google Drive. I’ve just checked it, and it seems to work fine, although obviously it depends on a decent connection. Would this work for you?

When starting, it would probably be a good idea for me to mentor you, to make sure that we’re on the same page, and that you don’t waste your time. Once you’ve got a good idea what’s needed, I’ll let you get on with it, but will be here if needed. Does this sound good?

2 Likes

Dear @Elissaj,

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu! Anumodana :joy:

with mettā,
russ

1 Like

Dear Bhante @Sujato,

I would like to offer my assistance to you and @Elissaj. Thank you for your consideration!

russ

Do you have a copy of DOP, or could I share one with you?

Dear Bhante @Sujato,

I don’t have a copy of the DOP and I would gratefully accept you sharing a copy with me for this project.

russ

1 Like

Yes, and yes on Google spreadsheet. Why didn’t I think of that? It is such a useful tool.

My gmail is ElissaJoan at …

I’m not sure when my DOP will arrive, so that would be handy. I think the capacity on Google Drive to upload files is a couple of GB at least.

1 Like

Hopefully you and Russell should get a copy shared through Google Drive, let me know if it works or not. There’s two files, for vols 1 and 2.

Dear Bhante @Sujato,

Shared file verified and I am pleased to report I have access to it. Thank you! Awaiting further guidance for the next step(s).

russ

Well, to start just have a look at it and compare with what we’re doing with CPED. When Elissa gets back to us, maybe we should organize a discussion of some sort.

I’ve accessed the docs and made an EJ Test copy, but I was thinking we could maybe use some type of color coding so we can work on the main doc and not have to copy / paste back and forth.

Yes, sure, that sounds fine.

How about you, me and @Russell organize a Skype some time? I will have to wait a little until I get a laptop, but hopefully next week. Does this sound like a good idea?

Sure. I’m in Arizona, USA, pretty flexible on schedule at the moment.

Dear Bhante @Sujato,

I’m at Hawaii time which is 18 hours behind your area I think?

russ