Could be Buddhist… but isn’t (post your quotes)

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.”
― Marcus Aurelius

“If a man knows not to which port he sails, no wind is favorable.”
― Seneca the Younger

2 Likes

I :heart: Winnie :boom:

5 Likes

Wh144-6 — Schopenhauer i buddyzm (bps.lk)

example:

Therefore in most cases the will must be broken by the greatest personal suffering before its self-denial appears. We then see the man suddenly retire into himself, after he is brought to the verge of despair through all the stages of increasing affliction with the most violent resistance. We see him know himself and the world, change his whole nature, rise above himself and above all suffering, as if purified and sanctified by it, in inviolable peace, bliss, and sublimity, willingly renounce everything he formerly desired with the greatest vehemence, and gladly welcome death. It is the gleam of silver that suddenly appears from the purifying flame of suffering, the gleam of the denial of the will-to-live, of salvation. Occasionally we see even those who were very wicked purified to this degree by the deepest grief and sorrow; they have become different, and are completely converted. Therefore, their previous misdeeds no longer trouble their conscience, yet they gladly pay for such misdeeds with death, and willingly see the end of the phenomenon of that will that is now foreign to and abhorred by them.” W.W.R. I, 39I-3, §68

2 Likes

“People have the strength to overcome their bodies. Their beauty is in their minds.”

• Peter Gabriel
5 Likes

’Twas in another lifetime,
one of toil and blood.
When blackness was a virtue,
and the road was full of mud.
I came in from the wilderness,
a creature void of form.
“Come in,” she said, “I’ll give you
shelter from the storm.”

— Bob Dylan

4 Likes

Power comes in response to a need, not a desire.

-Goku.

2 Likes

(1) The disciples said to Jesus: “Tell us how our end will be.”
(2) Jesus said: “Have you already discovered the beginning that you are now asking about the end? For where the beginning is, there the end will be too.
(3) Blessed is he who will stand at the beginning. And he will know the end, and he will not taste death.”

• Gospel of Thomas
2 Likes

Presentiment is that long shadow on the lawn
Indicative that suns go down;
The notice to the startled grass
That darkness is about to pass.

Emily Dickinson

4 Likes

Where are the valiant princes of whom I have told?

Those who said "The world is mine’?

Doom has taken them, earth has hidden them.

Who inherits this transient world, The world to which people come, from which they go, The world whose latter end is death?

The Book of Dede Korkut
*Medieval epic

6 Likes

Nothing is stable except instability, nothing is immovable, except movement.

Friedrich Engels 1853

5 Likes

Keith Richards: “Mick has to dictate his terms to life. He wants to control life, and personally, life seems to me like a kind of wild animal. You hope to rein in life, but it bucks, kicks you. That’s where Mick and I are different. He will not fall asleep until he writes out a plan of his further actions for tomorrow, after waking up. And I have only one hope, they will generally wake up and not disappear.
Perhaps my attitude towards life has changed after many years of drug addiction. You begin to think like this: “I lived a day, well, okay.” Mick is a bundle of nervous energy and he has to deal with life in his own way. He dictates future events to life, not life tells him what to do.
In the mid-60s, he was different, namely very shy.
to give such a characteristic to one of the most famous extroverts in the world. More than anything in life, Mick is afraid of being alone with himself, and sometimes treats the world as if this world is attacking him. He’s defending himself, and in defending himself, this guy has transformed his personality to such an extent that sometimes he can’t be reached. All the Stones musicians will tell you this. Why is that? Because he’s been playing Mick Jagger for so long."
rs-120067-h-00375390-1351020827

2 Likes

It could be my bad, but I’m having a spot of bother seeing how this sounds Buddhist. ??? :thinking:

1 Like

How about if you feel for it from a standpoint of tantric Buddhism?

Don’t know … my standpoint is more from the EBTs.

My standpoint is the same as you, and I see nothing but Dhamma in Keith’s words. Four heavenly messengers in the forms of “Rolling Stones”, which is four aging, sick and dying men, standing on their Dhamma seats, chanting: I can get no satisfaction!

Or, how about that I say that the result from taking the words into the heart, made my mind instantly becoming still and bright, ready for right action.
Isn’t that the proof of Dhamma?

1 Like

… Thank you. :pray:

1 Like

Seeing and accepting reality as it is and being happy for the gift of life as it comes ( could be, but isn’t Buddhism ) versus trying to demand that conditioned things stay together, pursuing desires, and being afraid to be alone with yourself.

1 Like

Vs following the 8fP.

Caesar aptly defined what ambition is all about when he said: ‘Better to be first in the village than the second in Rome!’ I’m nothing in the village and nothing in any Rome. The corner grocer is at least respected from the Rua da Assunção to the Rua da Vitória; he’s the Caesar of a square city block. Me superior to him? In what, if nothingness admits neither superiority nor inferiority, nor even comparison?

Pessoa

1 Like

Dust in the Wind - Kansas:

I close my eyes
Only for a moment and the moment’s gone
All my dreams
Pass before my eyes, a curiosity

Dust in the wind
All they are is dust in the wind

Same old song
Just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do
Crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

Dust in the wind (ah, aah, aah)
All we are is dust in the wind
Oh, oh, oh

Now, don’t hang on
Nothin’ last forever but the earth and sky
It slips away
And all your money won’t another minute buy

Dust in the wind
All we are is dust in the wind (all we are is dust in the wind)

Dust in the wind (everything is dust in the wind)
Everything is dust in the wind
The wind

:slight_smile:

1 Like