Craving for spiritual attainments

Not kāma, because this term is specifically related to sensual pleasure. It is never considered an aid to Awakening.

But for chanda, and a few other words that denote desire, there are a few such suttas. Here is one for chanda (SN 51.13):

Chandaṃ ce, bhikkhave, bhikkhu nissāya labhati samādhiṃ, labhati cittassa ekaggataṃ – ayaṃ vuccati chandasamādhi.

Bhikkhus, if a bhikkhu gains concentration, gains one-pointedness of mind based upon desire, this is called concentration due to desire.

And this at SN 51.15:

Thus have I heard. On one occasion the Venerable Ānanda was dwelling at Kosambī in Ghosita’s Park. Then the brahmin Uṇṇābha approached the Venerable Ānanda and exchanged greetings with him. When they had concluded their greetings and cordial talk, he sat down to one side and said to the Venerable Ānanda: “For what purpose, Master Ānanda, is the holy life lived under the ascetic Gotama?”

“It is for the sake of abandoning desire [chanda], brahmin, that the holy life is lived under the Blessed One.”

“But, Master Ānanda, is there a path, is there a way for the abandoning of this desire?”

“There is a path, brahmin, there is a way for the abandoning of this desire.”

“But, Master Ānanda, what is the path, what is the way for the abandoning of this desire?”

“Here, brahmin, a bhikkhu develops the basis for spiritual power that possesses concentration due to desire [chanda] and volitional formations of striving. He develops the basis for spiritual power that possesses concentration due to energy … concentration due to mind … concentration due to investigation and volitional formations of striving. This, brahmin, is the path, this is the way for the abandoning of this desire.”

“Such being the case, Master Ānanda, the situation is interminable, not terminable. It is impossible that one can abandon desire by means of desire itself.”

“Well then, brahmin, I will question you about this matter. Answer as you see fit. What do you think, brahmin, did you earlier have the desire, ‘I will go to the park,’ and after you went to the park, did the corresponding desire subside?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Did you earlier arouse energy, thinking, ‘I will go to the park,’ and after you went to the park, did the corresponding energy subside?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Did you earlier make up your mind, ‘I will go to the park,’ and after you went to the park, did the corresponding resolution subside?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Did you earlier make an investigation, ‘Shall I go to the park?’ and after you went to the park, did the corresponding investigation subside?”

“Yes, sir.”

“It is exactly the same, brahmin, with a bhikkhu who is an arahant, one whose taints are destroyed, who has lived the holy life, done what had to be done, laid down the burden, reached his own goal, utterly destroyed the fetters of existence, and is completely liberated through final knowledge. He earlier had the desire for the attainment of arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding desire subsided. He earlier had aroused energy for the attainment of arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding energy subsided. He earlier had made up his mind to attain arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding resolution subsided. He earlier made an investigation for the attainment of arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding investigation subsided.

“What do you think, brahmin, such being the case, is the situation terminable or interminable?”

“Surely, Master Ānanda, such being the case, the situation is terminable, not interminable. Magnificent, Master Ānanda!… From today let Master Ānanda remember me as a lay follower who has gone for refuge for life.”

At MN 137 we have the same idea expressed with the Pali word piha:

Tattha katamāni cha nekkhammasitāni domanassāni? Rūpānaṃtveva aniccataṃ viditvā vipariṇāmavirāganirodhaṃ, ‘pubbe ceva rūpā etarahi ca sabbe te rūpā aniccā dukkhā vipariṇāmadhammā’ti evametaṃ yathābhūtaṃ sammappaññāya disvā anuttaresu vimokkhesu pihaṃ upaṭṭhāpeti – ‘kudāssu nāmāhaṃ tadāyatanaṃ upasampajja viharissāmi yadariyā etarahi āyatanaṃ upasampajja viharantī’ti iti anuttaresu vimokkhesu pihaṃ upaṭṭhāpayato uppajjati pihapaccayā domanassaṃ. Yaṃ evarūpaṃ domanassaṃ idaṃ vuccati nekkhammasitaṃ domanassaṃ.

Herein, what are the six kinds of grief based on renunciation? When, by knowing the impermanence, change, fading away, and cessation of forms, one sees as it actually is with proper wisdom that forms both formerly and now are all impermanent, suffering, and subject to change, one generates a longing [piha] for the supreme liberations thus: ‘When shall I enter upon and abide in that base that the noble ones now enter upon and abide in?’ In one who generates thus a longing for the supreme liberations, grief arises with that longing as condition. Such grief as this is called grief based on renunciation.

And for taṇhā, “craving”, we have this from AN 4.159:

‘Taṇhāsambhūto ayaṃ, bhagini, kāyo taṇhaṃ nissāya. Taṇhā pahātabbā’ti, iti kho panetaṃ vuttaṃ. Kiñcetaṃ paṭicca vuttaṃ? Idha, bhagini, bhikkhu suṇāti – ‘itthannāmo kira bhikkhu āsavānaṃ khayā anāsavaṃ cetovimuttiṃ paññāvimuttiṃ diṭṭheva dhamme sayaṃ abhiññā sacchikatvā upasampajja viharatī’ti. Tassa evaṃ hoti – ‘kudāssu nāma ahampi āsavānaṃ khayā anāsavaṃ cetovimuttiṃ paññāvimuttiṃ diṭṭheva dhamme sayaṃ abhiññā sacchikatvā upasampajja viharissāmī’ti! So aparena samayena taṇhaṃ nissāya taṇhaṃ pajahati. ‘Taṇhāsambhūto ayaṃ, bhagini, kāyo taṇhaṃ nissāya. Taṇhā pahātabbā’ti, iti yaṃ taṃ vuttaṃ idametaṃ paṭicca vuttaṃ.

When it was said: ‘This body has originated from craving; in dependence on craving, craving is to be abandoned,’ for what reason was this said? Here, sister, a bhikkhu hears: ‘The bhikkhu named so-and-so, with the destruction of the taints, has realized for himself with direct knowledge, in this very life, the taintless liberation of mind, liberation by wisdom, and having entered upon it, he dwells in it.’ He thinks: ‘When will I, with the destruction of the taints, realize for myself with direct knowledge, in this very life, the taintless liberation of mind, liberation by wisdom, and having entered upon it, dwell in it?’ Some time later, in dependence upon craving, he abandons craving. When it was said: ‘This body has originated from craving; in dependence on craving, craving is to be abandoned,’ it was because of this that this was said.

17 Likes

Excellent!

I found particularly SN 51.15 and MN 137 convincing since they express a desire for liberation.

For the sake of completion I searched around with the suttas you provided and found MN 44:

‘Oh, when will I enter and remain in the same dimension that the noble ones enter and remain in today?’ Nursing such a longing (piha) for the supreme liberations gives rise to sadness due to longing. With this they give up repulsion, and the underlying tendency to repulsion does not lie within that.

9 Likes

Not sure where to report this but looking at MN137:
When using hover-over dictionary over the word " nekkhammasita" it gives:
nekkhammasita: (one) who lives in a small town; a townsman; a (leading) trader or merchant; the inhabitants of a small town; the townspeople (mfn.)
[Ed: found this to be entry for negama]
But upon clicking the link “nekkhammasita” it gives:
New Concise Pali English Dictionary
nekkhammasita
feminine
connected with, attached to, rooted in, the of renunciation; appropriate (only) to the life of renunciation.

Note -
Found NCPED entry in Cone’s dictionary. :slight_smile:
PTS PED has “based or bent on a holy life (opp. geha°)” (SN36.22)
CPED doesn’t have nekkhammasita but it has nekkhamma and sita 2. depending on; attached.
PTS PED sita2 (pp. of sayati) 2. reclining, resting, depending on, attached, clinging to
Can’t find any sanskrit parallel with nekkhamma ( Naiṣkramya?)

PS (Background):
On another note, presumably nekkhamma links back (or connected or in practise) to the 3rd noble truth cāga paṭinissaga mutthi anālaya?
And cāgānussati = cāga paṭinissaga mutthi anālaya?
I confirmed one Q&A with Ajahn Brahm (which was confirmed previously by 2 others) - “cāga paṭinissaga mutthi anālaya” = different aspects/facets of the same thing. Another 2 questions came up immediately in the mind. Grateful to see. The ending of questions would be nice. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As a matter of course, I regularly downclimb everything I upclimb. Getting to the top is halfway. Sometimes I joke with myself that I’m practicing to be freed both ways.

MN70:15.1: And what person is freed both ways?

3 Likes

Hello Wai Yin, nice to see you here again.

Yes, this is clearly wrong. @Sujato or @Vimala, is there anything to be done about this?

Nekkhamma is usually limited to renunciation of the sensual world. In other words, it’s the opposite of desire for sensual pleasures. Cāga, paṭinissagga, mutti, and anālaya, on the other hand, refer to the complete renunciation of saṃsāric existence, which includes the desire to exist in any form.

The word cāga is the same, but it’s significance is a bit different in the two contexts. Cāga is found in the standard formula for generosity, in the sense that you give up when you give away. This is what cāgnussati refers to, that is, the joy that comes from simple generosity. In the third noble truth, however, it refers to the giving up of everything.

Absolutely. Stream-entry should fulfil your wish. So no more time to mess around. Wait … what am I doing at the keyboard … :scream:

13 Likes

Thank you Ajahn Brahmali! Happy New Year! Happy New Decade!
Looking forward to the coming Sutta Retreat at BGF (Malaysia) February (15-23).

PS - Ajahn Brahm said in his reading of Ratana Sutta (Rains 2012) that “You don’t know where you are on the path until you reach the goal.”
[A short discussion on Facebook:
Brother @Sylvester said: “I thought anagamins know that they are anagamin.”
I just replied: “Dunno… I’ll (try to) let you know when I find out. Hahahahaha…
Likewise, O brother, do let me know when you know for real.”
Stephen Sas (NY, pāli student of Bhikkhu Bodhi): “anagamis get their own vip lounge in the sky, so they must figure it out sooner or later…”]

pattipatta = paṭipadā? (Sounds like it from his explanation) and finally found a clue in PTS entry (thanks to Sanskrit parallel to Ratana Sutta — prāptiprāptā): paṭipadā means of reaching a goal or destination, path, way, means, method, mode of progress (cp. Dhs. translation 53, 82, 92, 143), course, practice (cp. BSk. pratipad in meaning of pratipatti “line of conduct” Avs.ii.140 with note)

No need to answer, unless you want to. :slight_smile: Will figure out answers eventually (have to anyway).

3 Likes

I suspect Ajahn Brahm was referring to the distinction between the person who is practising for the attainment of stream-entry (etc.), sometimes called the “path attainer”, and the person who has attained the fruit of stream-entry (etc.), ie, who is a stream-enterer proper. As you would know, there are four pairs of noble disciples and eight individuals. It is only the four individuals who have attained the four fruit who can be confident of their attainment.

Could it be paṭipatti? This essentially means practice, as in dhammānudhammapaṭipatti.

6 Likes

I agree with Ajahn Brahmali. See SN 41.9 for Mr Citta’s VIP Lounge.

Ditto for the Stream Enterer, eg SN 12.41.

1 Like

Why is it seems anathapindika have been taught about dependent origination in sn 12.41 , but he’s astonished by sariputta’s dhamma in mn143 that he asked the teaching to be taught to lay persons?

2 Likes

Thank you Ajahn @Brahmali for pointing this out.
It is not my job any more to do this but I had a quick look at it for Bhante @Sujato to take care.

It turns out that the ncped dictionary has been 1-off i.e. the words and their definitions had been wrongly placed by one from the word ‘niṭṭhā’ onwards. In the dictionary this has been corrected but not in the lookup tool.

In the lookup tool it is slighly more difficult because that is made up out of ncped in combination with cped dictionaries. So probably best to recreate it from the original ncped.json and add extra entries from cped.json where they do not exist in ncped.
The file that needs to be changed is:

https://github.com/suttacentral/sc-data/blob/master/dictionaries/lookup/pli2en.json

9 Likes

In SN12.41, Anāthapiṇḍika learned something short and practical. He learned to think less and was content with that. He learned to let go of choices:

SN12.41:12.3: ‘When this exists, that is; when this doesn’t exist, that is not. Due to the arising of this, that arises; due to the cessation of this, that ceases. Ignorance is a condition for choices. Choices are a condition for consciousness. … That is how this entire mass of suffering originates. When ignorance fades away and ceases with nothing left over, choices cease. When choices cease, consciousness ceases. … That is how this entire mass of suffering ceases.’

On his deathbed, quite late, it occurred to Anāthapiṇḍika that making fewer choices wasn’t going to help him die. He was still grasping for more. Sariputta kindly put him at ease:

MN143:14.5: ‘I shall not grasp whatever is seen, heard, thought, known, sought, and explored by my mind, and there shall be no consciousness of mine dependent on that.’

For most of his life, Anāthapiṇḍika relinquished ignorance more and more, letting go of identity view. And that was enough for him. He was content as a householder. He was not prepared to relinquish that life to go forth. It was not until his deathbed that he embraced the truth that he had to relinquish the householder life anyhow. In those last moments, he essentially was ready to go forth and heed Sariputta’s lesson. He had let go of the choice to be a householder and was ready to listen.

(Thank you for SN12.41. That was new to me.)

4 Likes

Arahatship is a spiritual attainment, perhaps the “biggest” and best that there is.
This attainment is the end of dukkha.
It seems to be the attainment of an unconditional state of happiness beyond dukkha.
Compassion is the wish or desire for the decrease of dukkha for oneself, others, or both oneself and others.

Thus, the desire for spiritual attainments that the Buddha himself taught were worth attaining, might be chanda or piha as mentioned by Venerable Brahmali:

or even some form of compassion: looking for way out of dukkha through spiritual attainments up to and including Arahantship.

The idea of “craving for spiritual attainments” being a “fetter” seems to be a relatively misguided one that does not have a firm and solid basis in the EBT’s.

These three kinds of people are found in the world.
What three?
The hopeless, the hopeful, and the one who has done away with hope.

And what, mendicants, is a hopeless person?
It never occurs to them: ‘Oh, when will the aristocrats anoint me too as king?’ This is called a hopeless person.

And what, mendicants, is a hopeful person?
It occurs to him: ‘Oh, when will the aristocrats anoint me too as king?’ This is called a hopeful person.

And what, mendicants, is a person who has done away with hope?
It never occurs to him: ‘Oh, when will the aristocrats anoint me too as king?’ Why is that? Because the former hope he had to be anointed has now died down. This is called a person who has done away with hope.

…And what, mendicants, is a person who has done away with hope? It’s when a mendicant is a perfected one, who has ended all defilements. They hear this: ‘They say that the mendicant named so-and-so has realized the undefiled freedom of heart and freedom by wisdom in this very life. And they live having realized it with their own insight due to the ending of defilements.’ It never occurs to them: ‘Oh, when will I too realize the undefiled freedom of heart and freedom by wisdom in this very life, and live having realized it with my own insight due to the ending of defilements.’ Why is that? Because the former hope they had to be freed has now died down. This is called a person who has done away with hope.
-AN 3.13
SuttaCentral

Care needs to be taken to identify the difference between aversion (a form of desire) for the unpleasant/suffering as opposed to feeling compassion for those experiencing suffering.

Remembering also, that conditioning leads to both happiness and suffering - and that the unravelling or dissolution of conditioning leads to equanimity and transcendence of both happiness and suffering.

3 Likes

Yes, the mistake has been fixed, we are implementing it with our new awesome lookup tool.

6 Likes

What do you mean by “conditioning”?

When does this happen? What criteria? How does one know???

2 Likes

Greetings Anun, and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Your questions have been discussed a lot on the forum and there are several dedicated threads to them. To check if questions have been asked and answered, you can use the search function - the large Q on the top right menu bar.

By putting in the search terms, ‘stream entry’, the following list is generated. Have a look through and if you still have any unanswered questions, feel free to ask away :slight_smile:

Metta

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/search?q=stream%20entry%20

3 Likes

Hello Anun! Here’s a short introduction as well…

SN55.39:3.7: “You’re fortunate, Godhā, so very fortunate, You have declared the fruit of stream-entry.”

2 Likes

Ajahn Brahm gives a nice answer to this question, and he stays on topic for the discussion here too about how one deals with spiritual attainments! The link starts at 48:03 with the question, and the answer ends at 51:38.

10 Likes

It happens when you reach a certain level of faith (saddhānusārī) or insight (dhammānusārī). At this point you are guaranteed to become a streamenterer at the latest on your deathbed.

You don’t see any specific aspect of experience as nicca, sukha, or attā. On the other hand, you have not yet achieved the insight of the streamenterer that all experience is anicca, dukkha, and anattā. In other words, if anyone were to ask you about a specific aspect of experience you would know its true nature. But you wouldn’t yet have made the leap to universalise this as applying to everything.

No-one knows! :upside_down_face: At least I don’t.

Here are a few suttas that touch on this topic: SN 25.1-10, AN 5.151-153, AN 6.98-101.

10 Likes