Death of an Anagami's son?

I’ve heard there’s a story of a anagami woman who, when her son was killed in front of her, she “felt nothing”. Is this in the suttas anywhere?

3 Likes

I think it is AN7.53 Bhante:

"I had an only son called Nanda who I loved dearly.
The rulers forcibly abducted him on some pretext and had him executed.
But I can’t recall getting upset when my boy was under arrest or being arrested, imprisoned or being put in prison, killed or being killed.”

6 Likes

That is how anagamis respond to all kinds of sufferings they experience and because of that they don’t fall in lower realms and they go in pure abodes(if they fail to be arhat in this life or at the time of death). Thats why they are not sentient beings. They are noble beings. Isn’t it wonderful!

1 Like

Thanks Danny, that must be the one.

1 Like

When I heard the story spoken, the part about “loving her son dearly” was left out. It certainly changes the meaning. Yes, wonderful. :smiley:

1 Like

Haha yes. It sounds strange and heartless if read without that part. Its actually hard to understand how anagami can love dearly but won’t get upset or suffer if any bad thing happen to their loved one. But well they are noble ones…that’s how they are.

2 Likes

Well, with a penetrating understanding of impermanence, the nature of the body and rebirth, one expects these normal courses of events and deals with them differently than an uninstructed worldling.

1 Like