Dependent Origination Course by Ajahn Brahmali - Live streamed - Starting today

A 6 day course on Dependent Origination presented by the BSWA. This course starts today. 31/10/2020

Originally Bhante Sujato and Ajahn Brahmali were both going to be presenting this course, but the Co-vid pandemic and border closures mean that unfortunately Bhante has had to withdraw. Ven Sunyo will also assist leading the workshops. Please see the link for all details.

14 Likes

Thanks for the reminder Viveka.

Here are the time conversions for those dates:

2020-10-31T00:30:00Z2020-10-31T09:00:00Z

2020-11-07T00:30:00Z2020-11-07T09:00:00Z

2020-11-14T00:30:00Z2020-11-14T09:00:00Z

2020-11-21T00:30:00Z2020-11-21T09:00:00Z

2020-11-28T00:30:00Z2020-11-28T09:00:00Z

2020-12-05T00:30:00Z2020-12-05T09:00:00Z

The workshops will happen over 6 consecutive Saturdays 8.30am-5.00pm from 31st October to 05th December 2020

4 Likes

This is an important talk. For those who don’t know, becoming familiar with dependent origination is needed for stream entry, so this talk could literally save you from samsara. Reflecting on Dependent Origination is one of the most important things you can do in your life.

When a noble disciple has clearly seen with right wisdom this dependent origination and these dependently originated phenomena as they are, it’s impossible for them to turn back to the past, thinking: ‘Did I exist in the past? Did I not exist in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? After being what, what did I become in the past?’ Or to turn forward to the future, thinking: ‘Will I exist in the future? Will I not exist in the future? What will I be in the future? How will I be in the future? After being what, what will I become in the future?’ Or to be undecided about the present, thinking: ‘Am I? Am I not? What am I? How am I? This sentient being—where did it come from? And where will it go?’ Why is that? Because that noble disciple has clearly seen with right wisdom this dependent origination and these dependently originated phenomena as they are.”

• SN 12.20

“When, for a disciple of the noble ones, five forms of fear & animosity are stilled; when he is endowed with the four factors of stream-entry; and when, through discernment, he has rightly seen & rightly ferreted out the noble method, then if he wants he may state about himself: ‘Hell is ended; animal wombs are ended; the state of the hungry shades is ended; states of deprivation, destitution, the bad bourns are ended! I am a stream-winner, steadfast, never again destined for states of woe, headed for self-awakening!’

“And which is the noble method that he has rightly seen & rightly ferreted out through discernment?

“There is the case where a disciple of the noble ones notices: When this is, that is. From the arising of this comes the arising of that. When this isn’t, that isn’t. From the cessation of this comes the cessation of that.

“In other words: From ignorance as a requisite condition come fabrications. From fabrications as a requisite condition comes consciousness. From consciousness as a requisite condition comes name-&-form. From name-&-form as a requisite condition come the six sense media. From the six sense media as a requisite condition comes contact. From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving. From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging/sustenance. From clinging/sustenance as a requisite condition comes becoming. From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth. From birth as a requisite condition, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair come into play. Such is the origination of this entire mass of stress & suffering.

• AN 10.92
6 Likes

Thank you for the reminders Viveka, Ficus and Thito.
Suddenly we have been presented with a course of action towards stream entry that could be sufficient. This is magnificent.

:pray: . :pray: . :pray:

I really hope I can manage to attend some of them live. :slight_smile: … and am very grateful that the BSWA is reliable in presenting recordings of those I’m forced to miss.

3 Likes

FYI - For those interested, @musiko just posted the entire course here

3 Likes