Dependent Origination & Jhānās in Verse

Pretty much all of the core teaching (aggregates, 4nt, n8p) are found scattered in verse form, but I don’t think I ever found a reference to either DO or jhānās (there’s even references to ayatanas).

So, does anyone know any such references in verse form to DO and jhānās? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Arguably Snp4.11 contains the essence of dependent origination.

“Where do pleasure and pain spring from?
When what is absent do these things not occur?

And Snp4.14 talks about the gradual training, culminating in jhāna.

Please now speak of the practice, sir,
the monastic code and immersion in samādhi.”

1 Like

Thag6.8 has some beautiful verses about dependent arising.

“By breaking the root of unknowing, it smashes the mechanism of deeds, and drops the thunderbolt of knowledge on the taking up of consciousnesses.
It informs us of our feelings, releasing us from grasping, contemplating with understanding all states of existence as a pit of burning coals.”
Migajāla Thera

4 Likes

That is nice!

Samadhi is mentioned throughout the verses a lot; jhānā tho I haven’t seen (though for example, Thig3.2 mentions khandhāyatanadhātuyo; the 4 formless absorptions).

Paṭiccuppannadhammāna - nice!

You can search for jhāna: SuttaCentral

So, for example, snp1.12:

Strong in wisdom, with precepts and observances intact,
Paññābalaṁ sīlavatūpapannaṁ,
serene, loving absorption, mindful,
Samāhitaṁ jhānarataṁ satīmaṁ;
released from chains, kind, undefiled:
Saṅgā pamuttaṁ akhilaṁ anāsavaṁ,
that’s who the wise know as a sage.
Taṁ vāpi dhīrā muni vedayanti.

1 Like

SN5.9 Selasutta is a short and so sweet rendering of DO in verse

1 Like

That’s quite a cute one!

Oh yes, it is difficult however to find in among the verses with so many stuff popping up from the usual jhana descriptions. :sweat_smile: Nice catch!

I guess this thread can be an excuse for us to post our favourite poems of these topics now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, that’s why I restricted it by typing “in:snp jhana” to restrict to the Sutta Nipata, which is all verses. It is easy to also do this with the Theragatha, Therigata, Udana, Itivuttaka but I’m not sure how to to just search SN1-11 (Sagāthāvaggasaṁyutta, Linked discourses with verses…).

1 Like