Detest rebirth?

I remember once reading a sutta in which the Buddha says he detests rebirth . Is my memory wrong? Can anyone point that sutta if not?
:anjal:

2 Likes

In AN8.12, the Buddha exhibits some wry humor:

And what’s the sense in which you could rightly say that I’m an abortionist, I teach abortion, and I guide my disciples in that way? I say that an abortionist is someone who has given up future wombs and rebirth into a new state of existence. They’ve cut them off at the root, made them like a palm stump, obliterated them, so that they’re unable to arise in the future. The Realized One has given up future wombs and rebirth into a new state of existence. He has cut them off at the root, made them like a palm stump, obliterated them, so that they’re unable to arise in the future. In this sense you could rightly say that I’m an abortionist.

6 Likes

Thanks, but that’s not the one I think!

1 Like

Ah Ok. The word “detest” does not occur in Bhante Sujato’s translations, so I had to improvise.

1 Like

AN 3.18 is somewhat similar:

“Mendicants, if wanderers who follow another path were to ask you: ‘Reverend, do you live the spiritual life with the ascetic Gotama so that you can be reborn in the realm of the gods?’ Being questioned like this, wouldn’t you be horrified, repelled, and disgusted?” “Yes, sir.” “So it seems that you are horrified, repelled, and disgusted by divine lifespan, beauty, happiness, fame, and sovereignty. How much more then should you be horrified, embarrassed, and disgusted by bad conduct by way of body, speech, and mind.”

4 Likes