Dhamma and Commerce

Hopefully I will find a Sutta translation in my hotel room in my next trip. By the way I got a free Mahayana book in a Japan hotel room.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Have just checked latest price on Amazon: 10 bucks for a hardcover King James version versus 45 bucks for Ven. Bodhiā€™s Connected Discourses.

It is due to low volume. There is a fixed set up cost and cost of holding stocks.

Well, if you know of any, I would love to see them. As far as I have seen, such studies usually donā€™t exist, and where they have been done, they have sometimes been actively fraudulent. I discuss this, and give some studies that show the opposite, in my post a few years ago on copyright:

I never criticized anyone for engaging in commerce. I pointed out the fact that having a non-profit status under US tax law does not mean one is not engaging in commerce as understood in the Buddhaā€™s time, and hence in the quote which was the origin of this thread.

Imagination is such a tricky thing! I did in fact offer this, and was turned down.

In fact bible sales are around half a billion dollars per year, dwarfing any other book. Yet there are any number of websites and free editions.

1 Like

Then itā€™s back to playing the numerical game again, the free bible in virtually every hotels versus the Buddhist book in some libraries.

I wonder the Bible publishing is subsidised.

Most motives are selfish and a laypersonā€™s desire to gain merit by supporting free distribution of the Dhamma is not especially devious. Itā€™s not ā€˜virtue-washingā€™, but just an attempt to embrace the Dhamma when oneā€™s circumstances do not allow full renunciation of this world that is filled with warring tribes and uncertainty.

I was once in Mahabodhi, Leh and the chief monk there gave me a new, physical copy of the Visuddhimagga for free. And a new copy of Thanissaro Bhikkhuā€™s Wings to Awakening. It was a nice gesture - one that was supported by various laypeople from different countries who paid for the printing and shipping costs.

2 Likes

Exactly. They wonā€™t be able to do the same thing by giving you a copy of Connected Discourses or Middle Length Discourses for itā€™d break copyright law!

3 Likes

Thanks, Bhante, but real thanks goes to someone like Lisa Nesser, who runs the Free Bird Cafe in Chiang Mai and through revenues ( via her NGO Thai Freedom House http://thaifreedomhouse.org ) funds a school for refugee kids at the cafe ( upstairs). Free Bird Cafe is some of the the best vegan food in Chiang Mai. Anyway,Lisa is heartsick over Kuang Jor, as she has been regularly bringing clothing and other goods to the camp for years.

I did write to BGR, and they were quick and kind responding and suggested I correspond with Oxfam, which I have done. I am to be in BKK Thailand in a week or two, and hope to meet with Duncan from TBC at his invitation in Chiang Mai. I really want to understand how this problem turned into such a crisis, and why no other funding sources have been identified. I have a quick response from Oxfam with a promise that someone will contact me. I am not holding my breath.

Bhante, Iā€™d not heard of Tzu Chi https://www.tzuchi.org until your comment above. I will contact them and perhaps someone there can be helpful or provide guidance. Thanks!

2 Likes

Iā€™ll have to remind you that the OP was about the work of a monk, not a lay teacher. And all I have been addressing is exactly about the OP. Tell me exactly why a monk needs to make a living? Especially someone who gets quite a comfy place at a huge Mahayana temple? And using your own logic, shouldnā€™t Ven. Bodhi pay a huge sum of money to the original author whose words heā€™s borrowing: the Buddha and the many great ancient venerables who composed the Commentaries?

1 Like

Not even the Buddha could have survived with such a harsh view of lay generosity. And he was one of those who could forego food now and then and subsist on ā€˜the rapture of dhyanaā€™. He got alms-food from all kinds of people who engaged in pretty much the same misguided activities that we do in this age.

1 Like

Bhante, to your point, youā€™re right. Your post reminded me of this: Login to Meetup | Meetup

which then reminded me of this:

Some might question this. Some might question whether breaking of precepts is involved. But to me, with Bhikkhu Bodhi, heā€™s just breaking barriers, breaking glass walls toward bringing the joy and energy of the Dhamma, Buddhism, and of engaged compassion to as many people as possible. And in the end, many starving kids and parents around the world have a chance at food security.

In general, itā€™s probably best that most Vinaya monks and nuns not play keyboards. But BB seems to have earned through his scholarship teamed with engaged action, the right to do as he pleases to raise funds for BGR. If only heā€™d had a professional guitarist to accompany him, the fundraising would have gone through the roof, but I have no idea who that might have beenā€¦ :slight_smile:

4 Likes

But then my question still holds, theyā€™ll have to pay the Buddha and His many great disciples who authored the Commentaries. Otherwise, modern teachers would be the first ones who violate the copyright law for copying the work of the original author, our Buddha!

Theyā€™d probably save those individuals from being incarcerated in the first place had them followed the spirit of the Buddha Dhamma by freely distribute HIS OWN words for free.

Iā€™d certainly do it if I was of the caliber like Ven. Bodhi. Thatā€™s why I admire Ven. Sujato for his tireless work of making the words of the Buddha available for free to everyone. And Iā€™m trying to play a humble part within my limited capacity to share any Dhamma info. I know of to the forums. How about you? If you have the capacity, would you freely distribute your work or will you go the publisher route?

1 Like

Yeah, well, if you shave your head and become a monk, and then check with Chuang Yen in Carmel NY if they have any opening, you should be all set. Bodhi can hook you upā€¦:wink:

2 Likes

I needed a primer. Found this article: Neoliberalism ā€“ the ideology at the root of all our problems | Economics | The Guardian

Unfortunately, I went looking for a definition of the type of American silly enough to be naively living in this sick dysfunctional neoliberal quagmire, and not fully understanding what it is, and discovered it isā€¦me.

Actually, to be serious, American Buddhism has aspects that are as odd and dysfunctional as the larger phenomenon of neoliberal economics and philosophy. For some reason, Australian Buddhism has cultivated a very different course, and I am still unsure as to why. Many Americans wish they could migrate to Australia. Australia seems to have a more open, more intelligent, more progressive society than exists in the US. I recall some 15 years ago putting on a seminar on dispute resolution/mediation, and found that the only advanced mediation associations were in Australia. I wrote to one of the larger AUS bar associations, and they sent me, free, boxes full of materials for my seminar. I was blown away by the kindness and collegiality. No one in the US was even close to this kind of progressive approach, and no one in the US would have sent me anything (and at the time, they had nothing to send) unless I paid for the items and paid the shipping.

4 Likes

As far as basic necessities go, yes, there is a dependence on the labor of worldly people and the Buddha readily acknowledged it. But it is bemusing to see that his teaching of impermanence is now shackled by something that is just a desperate, ā€˜legalā€™ construct attempting to claim ownership over transient thingsā€¦

1 Like

This discussion is about a monk having copyright to Buddha Dhamma.

1 Like

At the beginning of my exploration of Buddhism I would go to a large chain bookstore near me, pull a stack of books, sit on the floor, and skim through them, making a small purchase when I could afford to do so. The stores were vital to me as they were a familiar source of material on a very unfamiliar topic. I would never have been comfortable going into a temple without having done background reading first. As someone mentioned earlier, especially in the U.S. where folks may never have met a Buddhist in their life, commercially produced material is going to be the best way to reach that segment of the population. Iā€™ll be eternally grateful to Bhikkhu Bodhi and the publishers of his books.

7 Likes