Dhamma and Commerce

I remember reading something in the distant past from Bhikkhu Bodhi where he stated that he wanted translations of the dhamma in a “substantial” medium like the printed word. He is from an earlier generation that I am from, but I can understand the feeling, rational or not. At an emotional level I am still learning to accept the digital world as “substantial”. Few people are buying English translations and only 1 or 2 orgs are making them. Hence the high costs.

I can appreciate the position you are in.

When I started going to a sutta study group I was a student living in a room that was smaller than some people’s walk in closets. The Internet was in its infancy. The cost of the Majjhima Nikaya at the time was about the same as 1-2 weeks worth of groceries for me. Fortunately, some very kind people in that group made photocopies for me.

I’ve recently been preparing to read the entire sutta tipikata. I’ve been extremely impressed that I can skip around the various collections without having to buy anything. Plus I can do the readings ( and take notes ) on my computer, on my phone, or on my Kindle! All with the benefit of electronic searching too!

I feel a lot of gratitude for the people who worked very hard at putting the teachings online and making them accessible free of charge.

Then may I respectfully ask why the post above, by “D” remains up? I know enough Jewish people to know that the words and phrases used in that post are perceived as dog whistles against people of their faith and culture:
“This is another example of essentially playing games with religious law & again will be accused by Buddhists as being Talmudic since this is exactly the speciality of the legalism of Talmudism.”
And
“I cannot be any more diplomatic by stating the reality that US Buddhism has strongly been nurtured by Jewish people, including the phenomena of the self-proclaimed ‘Bu-Ju’, and this non-Buddhist culture must obviously be influencing the US version of Buddhism.”

Whatever "D"s opinions may be, is this labeling appropriate for this forum? If we replaced Jewish and Bu-Ju with “African-American”, “Native American”, “First Nation”, or “Immigrants” would the post remain up?

Not to mention the apparent minimizing of the Holocaust. Of course there have been other atrocities and genocides – but in what universe does one use that fact to minimize the horror of the Holocaust? Or of any form of mass killings?

Disagreements with respect and goodwill, yes. It’s a way we can all learn and grow IMHO.
But that post…how does it square with the Buddha’s teachings on Right Speech?

Perhaps I’m missing something… :pray:

This was a contentious topic 2+ years in the past, and extensive moderator actions were taken at the time to address the problematic issues. Please be aware that moderator actions are frequently done privately with the involved individuals. As stated in the Guidelines:

The moderators will not disclose the details of discussions had with you in private to other users. In turn, as all private moderation will be kept private, please don’t ask us to tell you how we’ve moderated others.

Topic has been archived as it is not beneficial for the forum to revive such an old argument.