Dhamma doodles šŸ˜

If it doesnā€™t impose (and after reading this post I made, which provides context), I would like to furtherly request from the Ven. Yodha a ā€œBuddha vs. Terminatorsā€ Doodle.

1 Like

:grin: Sure.

The art supplies you sent have arrived! Thank you very much for your support! :heart:

6 Likes

@yodha :lightsaber:
Dear Venerable
:smile: You are more than welcome
_ :paintbrush::pencil2: _

4 Likes

Keeping away from fools

17 Likes

@yodha, @vimalanyani

So you have managed to keep up your anonymity for 26 daysā€”very impressive!

But whether Ven. Yodha or Ayya Vimalanyani, this doodle thread is simply the best! :grin::rofl::hugs::sparkling_heart::star_struck:

Please keep on doodling, Venerable! :pray:t3:

10 Likes

Facebook is just present here on the forum at the moment in some other threads; so maybe I should post this latest doodle on Facebookā€¦ ? :grin:

1 Like

:rofl:
Or maybe you should follow the advice of the doodle and keep awayā€¦ :grin:

1 Like

Like a dew drop on a blade of grass

AN 7.74
Just as a drop of dew on the tip of a blade of grass will quickly vanish at sunrise and will not last long, so too, brahmins, human life is like a drop of dew. It is limited and fleetingĶ¾ it has much suffering, much misery. One should wisely understand this. One should do what is wholesome and lead the spiritual lifeĶ¾ for none who are born can escape death.

18 Likes

Iā€™d like to share one of my dewdrop pictures here: I had this very same simile in mind when taking it! :grin:

12 Likes

Not a proper method for procuring fruit

MN 126

Suppose a man needing milk, seeking milk, wandering in search of milk, were to pull a recently-calved cow by her horn. Then, if he made an aspirationā€¦if he made no aspirationā€¦if he both made an aspiration and made no aspirationā€¦if he neither made an aspiration nor made no aspiration and acted thus, he would still be unable to procure any milk. Why is that? Because that [way of acting] is not a proper method for procuring milk.
So too, whatever recluses and brahmins have wrong view, wrong intention, wrong speech, wrong action, wrong livelihood, wrong effort, wrong mindfulness, and wrong concentration, if they make an aspiration and they lead the holy life, they are unable to procure any fruit; if they make no aspiration and they lead the holy life, they are still unable to procure any fruit; if they both make an aspiration and make no aspiration and they lead the holy life, they are still unable to procure any fruit; if they neither make an aspiration nor make no aspiration and they lead the holy life, they are still unable to procure any fruit. Why is that? Because that [wrong path] is not a proper method for procuring fruit.

9 Likes

Oooohh, we have a new doodle emoji!

:monastic: :monastic: :monastic: :monastic: :monastic:

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

Thank you, Ayya @Vimala! :star_struck:

10 Likes

@Sabbamitta, hereā€™s your doodle!

Like rain on a mountaintop

AN 10.61

ā€œJust as, when it is raining and the rain pours down in thick droplets on a mountaintop, the water flows down along the slope and fills the clefts, gullies, and creeks;
these, becoming full, fill up the pools;
these, becoming full, fill up the lakes;
these, becoming full, fill up the streams;
these, becoming full, fill up the rivers;
and these, becoming full, fill up the great ocean;
thus there is nutriment for the great ocean, and in this way it becomes full.

Thus associating with good persons, becoming full, fills up hearing the good Dhamma.
Hearing the good Dhamma, becoming full, fills up faith.
Faith, becoming full, fills up careful attention.
Careful attention, becoming full, fills up mindfulness and clear comprehension.
Mindfulness and clear comprehension, becoming full, fill up restraint of the sense faculties.
Restraint of the sense faculties, becoming full, fills up the three kinds of good conduct.
The three kinds of good conduct, becoming full, fill up the four establishments of mindfulness.
The four establishments of mindfulness, becoming full, fill up the seven factors of enlightenment.
The seven factors of enlightenment, becoming full, fill up true knowledge and liberation.
Thus there is nutriment for true knowledge and liberation, and in this way they become full.ā€

:monastic:

22 Likes

I have a request for Ven. Yodha, or anyone else with doodle skills.

Itā€™s not important, and thereā€™s no urgency in time, monochrome black and white is fine, itā€™s for instructional/learning purpose.

The reason Iā€™m interested in a doodle for this sutta, AN 7.67, is because this sutta shows how the 5ind (indiriya) + hiri + ottappa work together, in a frontier fortress. The problem is, I have a hard time picturing some of the elements in the fortress, like the foundation post.

This is one of the suttas I found to memorize not word for word, but just the important ideas. So if I had a picture of a fortress with 7 parts I could visualize, then I could map it to the 5ind correspondences and describe it to someone verbally.

As it is now, since I canā€™t picture the whole fortress, I have trouble remembering some of the correspondences.

5 Likes

This is so incredible, thank you so much!!! :heartpulse::heart::heartpulse::cherry_blossom::tulip::blossom::rose::cherry_blossom::fish:
:monastic:

3 Likes

Hey Frankk,

Funny coincidence, I thought about doodling this sutta earlier todayā€¦ :grin:

So just to clarify: Would you like

• the fortress with the 7 parts;
  • or the 7 parts plus the 4 types of food;
  • or the fortress, the food and a visual representation of the corresponding aspects of dhamma?

If you want the last one, the doodle might be quite full, but itā€™s up to you.

7 Likes

the fortress is the part Iā€™m most interested in, the 4 types of food is easy to visualize and find a picture for. Anything additional you add is up to you, thanks!

5 Likes

Four Mountains

SN 3.25

ā€˜For sure, great king, you should know this: I am coming from the east / west / north / south, and there I saw a great mountain high as the clouds coming this way, crushing all living beings. Do whatever you think should be done, great king.ā€™ If, great king, such a great peril should arise, such a terrible destruction of human life, the human state being so difficult to obtain, what should be done?ā€

ā€œIf, venerable sir, such a great peril should arise, such a terrible destruction of human life, the human state being so difficult to obtain, what else should be done but to live by the Dhamma, to live righteously, and to do wholesome and meritorious deeds?ā€
ā€œI inform you, great king, I announce to you, great king: aging and death are rolling in on you. When aging and death are rolling in on you, great king, what should be done?ā€

ā€œAs aging and death are rolling in on me, venerable sir, what else should be done but to live by the Dhamma, to live righteously, and to do wholesome and meritorious deeds?

19 Likes

Sumedha bhikkhuni

One of my all time favourite nuns! :heart_eyes: Sheā€™s like the female Ratthapala, and goes on a hunger strike to get permission to go forth. But she also gives her parents and husband-to-be a very profound and touching dhamma teaching. And when they donā€™t stop pleading with her to get married, she just cuts off her hair and throws it at them! :grin:

Unfortunately thereā€™s no translation on SC but if you have a book, itā€™s a highly recommended read! :tada:

Thig 16.1

ā€œEven birth among gods is uncertain,
it is only birth in another place just as impermanent,
but somehow fools are not terrified
of being born again and again.ā€"

Then Sumedha said to her mother and father,
ā€œI will not eat any more food as a householder,
if I do not receive permission to go forth,
I will be in your house, but I might as well be dead.ā€

Her mother suffered and cried
and her fatherā€™s face was covered with tears,
they tried to reason with Sumedha
who had fallen to the palace floor.

ā€œWhy should I cling, like a worm,
to a body that will only turn into a corpse,
a sack always oozing, frightening, stinking
foul and putrid, filled with foul things?ā€

(small extract from the Hallisay translation)
:sparkling_heart:

17 Likes

A great contemplation to counteract the pre-Christmas frenzy: :grin:

Wings as its only burden

MN 51

Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden, so too, the bhikkhu becomes content with robes to protect his body and with almsfood to maintain his stomach, and wherever he goes he sets out taking only these with him. Possessing this aggregate of noble virtue, he experiences within himself a bliss that is blameless.

37 wings as its only burden gif_resize

23 Likes

Now I finally understand why Anuruddha is peering upwards to the left all the timeā€”thereā€™s this big bird arriving with a nunk on its backā€¦ :wink:

7 Likes