Dhamma doodles 😁

Rest In Peace”, which is a common phrase with Christian origins in English-speaking countries. The acronym R.I.P. is actually probably used more than the underlying phrase. For example, the primary online death notice website here is: www.rip.ie!

4 Likes

Young novice :sparkling_heart: :sparkles: :heart:

Thag 6.10

I had just gone forth,
I was seven years old,
When I overcome the dragon king, so mighty,
With my psychic powers.

And I brought water for my mentor
From the great lake Anotatta.
When he saw me,
My teacher said this:

“Sāriputta, see this
Young boy coming,
Carrying a water pot,
Serene inside himself.

His conduct inspires confidence,
He is of lovely deportment:
He is Anuruddha’s novice,
Excelling in psychic powers.

Made a thoroughbred by a thoroughbred,
Made good by the good,
Educated and trained by Anuruddha,
Who has completed his work.

Having attained the highest peace
And witnessed the unshakable,
That novice Sumana
Wants no-one to know about him.”

13 Likes

Turtles go to heaven

Thig 12.1

[Punnika:] I’m a water-carrier, cold, always going down to the water from fear of my mistresses’ beatings, harrassed by their anger & words. But you, Brahman, what do you fear that you’re always going down to the water with shivering limbs, feeling great cold?

[The Brahman:] Punnika, surely you know. You’re asking one doing skillful kamma & warding off evil. Whoever, young or old, does evil kamma is, through water ablution, from evil kamma set free.

[Punnika:] Who taught you this — the ignorant to the ignorant — ‘One, through water ablution, is from evil kamma set free?’ In that case, they’d all go to heaven: all the frogs, turtles, serpents, crocodiles, & anything else that lives in the water. Sheep-butchers, pork-butchers, fishermen, trappers, thieves, executioners, & any other evil doers, would, through water ablution, be from evil kamma set free.

Ajahn Thanissaro translation

11 Likes

Giving and sharing

Iti 26

Bhikkhus, if beings knew, as I know, the result of giving and sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would they allow the stain of meanness to obsess them and take root in their minds. Even if it were their last morsel, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared it, if there were someone to share it with.

15 Likes

Empty places

Iti 45

“Live enjoying seclusion, bhikkhus; live delighting in seclusion, engage in practising inner mental tranquillity, not neglecting meditation, possessing insight, and frequenting empty places. If you live enjoying seclusion, bhikkhus, … and frequenting empty places, one of two fruits is to be expected: final knowledge here and now or, there being some residual defilement, the state of non-returning.”

(Thank you to nasa.gov for making photos available free of copyright! :heart:)

14 Likes

Hey doodle friends, I’ve already posted today’s doodle here:

6 days to the launch date! :tada: :tada: Lets hope everything gets finished in time! :wink:

15 Likes

Love it! :heart:

1 Like

Human Life

Iti 109

“Suppose, bhikkhus, a wo/man was being borne along by the current of a river that seemed pleasant and agreeable. But upon seeing her/him, a keen-sighted wo/man standing on the bank would call out to her/him: ‘Hey, good wo/man! Although you are being borne along by the current of a river that seems pleasant and agreeable, lower down there is a pool with turbulent waves and swirling eddies, with monsters and demons. On reaching that pool you will die or suffer close to death.’

13 Likes

Finally I have examples to show you.

Flowers candles an incense for a leaving gift and the Mother’s Day card I made my mum

13 Likes

Beautiful, thanks so much for sharing! :rose:

2 Likes

Last night I did a guided meditation, and a rather long Dhamma Q&A at a friend’s house (I’m currently visiting family here in Canada, my home country), with a small circle of friends. @vimalanyani , one of your Jedi Sisters was there with her green light saber!

I showed her your art in this thread, and she loved it. She had the most questions about Buddhism of all.

15 Likes

Wow, that is so cool! :heart_eyes: I love this picture.
Sorry, Ven. Yodha is offline until after the ordination on 17th March because I’m too busy.
Among other things, preparing close to 300 doodle thank you cards :rofl:

But more doodles will be coming soon…

16 Likes

Because Ven. Yodha is unavailable right now, I’m posting one that was not posted before:

Dhp 369

Ch-Dhp T210.34 verse 9
Bhiksu! bail water out from the boat!
When empty within, it becomes light.
When greed, hatred and ignorance are removed,
This is Nirvana.

Pali verse 369
Empty this boat, O monk!
Emptied, it will sail lightly.
Rid of lust and hatred,
you shall reach Nibbana.

19 Likes

ooooh, love this one, one of my favorite doodles yet, thanks for posting Ayya @Vimala

2 Likes
Dhp 413

Ch-Dhp T210.35 verse 31
S/he whose mind is joyful, stainless
Like the moon in its fullness,
Who is free from defamation,
Is indeed a brahmana.

Pali verse 413
S/he, who, like the moon,
is spotless and pure, serene and clear,
who has destroyed the delight in existence—
her/him do I call a holy wo/man.

18 Likes

Hi, I’m back online! It all went really well yesterday and I did get ordained, so now I have time for doodeling again!
Thank you, Ayya @Vimala, for posting two of my doodles while I was away! :sparkling_heart:

This is the Thank You card I made for my preceptor, Ayya Gunasari, the abbess of Mahapajapati Monastery:

The Buddha teaching the eight “Important Things” to Ayya Mahapajapati. (AN 8.53)

On one occasion the Blessed One was dwelling at Vesālī in the hall with the peaked roof in the Great Wood. Then Mahāpajāpatī Gotamī approached the Blessed One, paid homage to him, stood to one side, and said to him: “Bhante, it would be good if the Blessed One would teach me the Dhamma in brief, so that, having heard the Dhamma from the Blessed One, I might dwell alone, withdrawn, heedful, ardent, and resolute.”
“Gotamī, those things of which you might know: ‘These things lead (1) to dispassion, not to passion; (2) to detachment, not to bondage; (3) to dismantling, not to building up; (4) to fewness of desires, not to strong desires; (5) to contentment, not to non-contentment; (6) to solitude, not to company; (7) to the arousing of energy, not to laziness; (8) to being easy to support, not to being difficult to support,’ you should definitely recognize: ‘This is the Dhamma; this is the discipline; this is the teaching of the Teacher.’”

I think this teaching contains the original eight important things (=garu-dhammas) that the Buddha wanted the nuns to keep. They are actually inspiring and the basis of monastic life, and it makes sense that Ayya Mahapajapati would have joyfully accepted them and vowed to keep them for the rest of her life.

18 Likes

Congratulations again, Ven. @yodha Bhikkhuni! :wink:

These are indeed 8 ‘Garudhammas’ as I like them and would be most happy to respect!

8 Likes

It took me a while—but here’s my answer to your peacock challenge! :grin:

To remind the respective verse:

Or if you prefer another one:

Pfau04

16 Likes

This second peacock is so cute! :heart_eyes:

Can you also make a Buddha?

Buddha

(found this one while googling)

10 Likes

To the far shore

The world is immersed in the sea;
Few can cross over to the [other] shore.
If there is anyone
Wishing to cross, s/he must run fast.
Chinese Dharmapada T210.14 verse 13 (Bhante KL Dharmajoti’s translation)

15 Likes