Dhamma doodles šŸ˜

I thought there were only 4 parajikas?

Nope, there are eight:

3 Likes

I see. For bhikkhus there are 4, for bhikkhunis there are 8. I assumed youā€™re a bhikkhu! Now I believe you are a bhikkhuni. :anjal:

2 Likes

This is so utterly brilliant! May I give my warmest encouragement for the series to continue, 1) because it is a marvellous enterprise in and of itself, and 2) contrary to an idea that Iā€™ve heard repeated a number of times, from my PoV the Vinaya can be a matter of great interest (and more to the point value) to the whole Buddhist community not just monastics.

Thereā€™s just one slight down side I can see with this work: I might get to feel a bit morally compromised being so uplifted by depictions of poor conduct. Murder doesnā€™t usually inspire me to extended fits of laughter, but I must confess, it has happened here.

10 Likes

Just to clarify: If I continue the vinaya series, I will doodle all the rules of both the bhikkhu and the bhikkhuni patimokkha, i. e. all the 23 sanghadisesas, 2 aniyatas, 42 nissaggiya pacittiyas, etc.

To explain these numbers:
For the sanghadisesas, we have 7 shared rules, 10 rules for bhikkhunis only, and 6 rules for bhikkhus only, thus 23. Likewise for the other classes of offensesā€¦

According to the suttas, well-trained monastics should be familiar with both patimokkhas, so Iā€™ll doodle them all.

12 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: 8 bikkhuni Parajikas on flirting

Looking forward to learning more about it. I have the intention to eventually translating into Portuguese the bhikkhuni vibhanga as well! :anjal:

5 Likes

Is this how itā€™s pronounced!?

1 Like

No it was a typo
Tks for noticing it. :smile:

1 Like

:laughing: just kidding!

1 Like

Thanks @Viveka for splitting the thread. Seems like Iā€™ll have to rethink my plan to make vinaya doodles. The bhikkhuni patimokkha always leads to so much debateā€¦ :sweat: :face_with_head_bandage:

Also, Iā€™ve been meaning to mention the anonymous mod or admin who used their supernormal tech powers to allow this thread to continue past 500 replies. Much thanks! :smile: :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

I have stopped

MN 86 (Aį¹…gulimālasutta)
ā€œStop, stop, ascetic!ā€
ā€œIā€™ve stopped, Aį¹…gulimālaā€”now you stop.ā€

16 Likes

Ooooooh I LOVE this sutta. Those words send chills up my back. And they have deep personal meaning having seen both sides. Thank you!

ā€œNow you stopā€

8 Likes

I say make 'em anyway! :grimacing: Thereā€™s at least one nunā€™s community I know that is practicing all of the Bhikkhuni patimokkha as is. If they came across the doodles, theyā€™d probably appreciate it.

4 Likes

Please donā€™t stop :slight_smile: it enables deeper understanding and investigation - beneficial things ! :smiley:

7 Likes

:sweat: :face_with_head_bandage: about sums it up!

It is not uncommon that when people leave the forces, or the police they go into private protection work. Now that Iā€™ve hung up my mod gloves, if it would help to see these doodles come into being for the benefit of those who would benefit, Iā€™d be willing to offer my services to safeguard the Doodle thread and and eject any flappy nonsense. I will happily charge my standard rate of nothing! :smiley:

10 Likes

Ok. I canā€™t resist. Three cheers for Aminah the Dhamma Doodle Bouncer!
Hip hip!
ā€¦
:joy:

7 Likes

Hooray! Go, @Aminah, go!

5 Likes

Requested by @Gus: a DN 16 doodle, Mahaparinibbanasutta. :grin:

Farewell Tour

14 Likes

This is so excellent!

I have a proof copy of the third and final Middle Length discourses on hand, and Iā€™m going through it for typos and layout issues now. The Longer Discourses volume is in draft, and it will be done very soon. I look forward to putting this image on the cover. Itā€™s perfect.

12 Likes