Dhamma doodles 😁

Hi,
some years ago when searching for a picture to illustrate a booklet, I found a digital image of a painting online Its author unknown to me. (I converted it into line drawing by placing its print against a window and tracing its main features,. and then acknowledged the author of the original as anonymous - not known to me.) It reminded me of the Uruvela and Bodhgaya then and now, the Earthly pristine Sanctuary almost lost, except for the poor Bodhi Tree descendant (which too almost died a few years ago).

9 Likes

That is lovely @Dana :slight_smile:

Just for your information, this thread was reserved for @yodha to post her series of ‘Dhamma Doodles’.

There is another thread here, for other Buddhist images that people want to share

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/most-beautiful-pictures-artwork-of-the-buddha-buddhism-related/13911/24

No stress just letting you know regarding housekeeping :smiley:

Metta :pray: :revolving_hearts: :sunflower:

2 Likes

Oh, thank you. :I misunderstood her invitation to share ideas. regarding Heavenly realm. So I offered the anonymous painting and shared how I used it. Just as when we use photos we have to acknowledge the source. I thought she might just wish to use that painting too - it is free to use for all, as long as we follow the standard practice. I had no intention of putting up more, but still thank you for that - good point, for anyone. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Anyone know about these pictures?

PS - might be best that you delete my drawing of the painting, to avoid misunderstanding. Please do so, if you agree. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

:heart: :slightly_smiling_face:

Please feel free to share your drawings and dhamma-related artwork.

…Now… back to topic please. :wink:

4 Likes

Perhaps adding a link to one of the Suttas in the Devata Samyutta will help illuminate more on the aim you had in mind for this picture, just as you did in some others to Thg or Thig?
:roll_eyes: :parrot:

1 Like

Thank you. :slightly_smiling_face: Just this one I did at Santi Forest Monastery as an example for

Children (or adult) gift making activity, after Venerable Nirodha asked me to utilise old Forest Sangha calendars.

8 Likes

Ven @Yodha, I recently read AN 10.99 and thought of your lively doodles:

Then along comes a rabbit or a cat. They’d think, ‘What difference is there between me and a bull elephant? Why don’t I plunge into this lake and play around?’

If you ever need doodle inspiration, please consider this one! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

It still belongs to you!

(Giving gifts of anger)

SN 7.2

The brahmin Bharadvāja the Rude heard a rumor that a brahmin of the Bharadvāja clan had gone forth from the lay life to homelessness in the presence of the ascetic Gotama. Angry and displeased he went to the Buddha and abused and insulted him with rude, harsh words. When he had spoken, the Buddha said to him:
“What do you think, brahmin? Do friends and colleagues, relatives and family members, and guests still come to visit you?”

“Sometimes they do, Master Gotama.”

“Do you then serve them with a variety of foods and savories?”

“Sometimes I do.”

“But if they don’t accept it, brahmin, who does it belong to?”

“In that case it still belongs to me.”

“In the same way, brahmin, when you abuse, harass, and attack us who do not abuse, harass, and attack, we don’t accept it. It still belongs to you, brahmin, it still belongs to you!
Someone who, when abused, harassed, and attacked, abuses, harasses, and attacks in return is said to eat the food and have a reaction to it. But we neither eat your food nor do we have a reaction to it. It still belongs to you, brahmin, it still belongs to you!”

18 Likes

Bittersweet (dukkha)

12 Likes

It’s in the pipeline… Coming soon. :grin:

4 Likes

Here you go…

What difference is there?!

AN 10.99

Suppose there was a large lake, and along comes a bull elephant with a height of seven or eight cubits. He’d think, ‘Why don’t I plunge into this lake and play around while washing my ears and back? When I’ve bathed and emerged from the water, I’ll come out and go wherever I want.’ And that’s just what he does. Why is that? Because his large life-form finds a footing in the depths.

Then along comes a rabbit or a cat. They’d think, ‘What difference is there between me and a bull elephant? Why don’t I plunge into this lake and play around while washing my ears and back? When I’ve bathed and drunk, I’ll emerge from the water and go wherever I want.’ They jump into the lake rashly, without thinking. You can expect that they’ll sink down or float away. Why is that? Because their little life-form finds no footing in the depths. If someone should say this, ‘Though I don’t have immersion, I’m going to frequent remote lodgings in the wilderness and the forest.’ You can expect that they’ll sink down or float away.

Happy Easter! :grin:
:egg: :rabbit2: :basket: :elephant:

15 Likes

The elephant has an electric plug on the end of its tail but the rabbit has a tuft of cotton wool. :rofl:

Do I see easter eggs?

5 Likes

:laughing: bahaha!! I love it! :heart: Thank you, it’s absolutely everything I hoped it would be :joy:

Happy Easter to you too! And may all drowning rabbits find their elephant tail salvation! :pray::grin:

6 Likes

Gender discrimination in the sangha

13 Likes

Ooh, I’m curious as to what this means! No explanatory notes Ven. @yodha? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

In short, it means that we judge people according to which body parts are hidden under their lower robe. And then treat them differently depending on what we see there… We see them as inferior (women), or reject them altogether (gender non-conforming people). We cause huge amounts of suffering and create obstacles for practice of good people, who were inspired enough by the dhamma to want to join the sangha.

In detail, I’ve explained it here:

8 Likes

Welcome back @yodha. Please keep on sharing your sweet , sad, funny, and profound wisdom with us! A picture says a thousands words!

6 Likes

I thought the large one was measuring the middle-sized one’s waist and couldn’t figure out why!

:rofl:

1 Like