Dhamma doodles 😁

Four Mountains

SN 3.25

‘For sure, great king, you should know this: I am coming from the east / west / north / south, and there I saw a great mountain high as the clouds coming this way, crushing all living beings. Do whatever you think should be done, great king.’ If, great king, such a great peril should arise, such a terrible destruction of human life, the human state being so difficult to obtain, what should be done?”

“If, venerable sir, such a great peril should arise, such a terrible destruction of human life, the human state being so difficult to obtain, what else should be done but to live by the Dhamma, to live righteously, and to do wholesome and meritorious deeds?”
“I inform you, great king, I announce to you, great king: aging and death are rolling in on you. When aging and death are rolling in on you, great king, what should be done?”

“As aging and death are rolling in on me, venerable sir, what else should be done but to live by the Dhamma, to live righteously, and to do wholesome and meritorious deeds?

19 Likes

Sumedha bhikkhuni

One of my all time favourite nuns! :heart_eyes: She’s like the female Ratthapala, and goes on a hunger strike to get permission to go forth. But she also gives her parents and husband-to-be a very profound and touching dhamma teaching. And when they don’t stop pleading with her to get married, she just cuts off her hair and throws it at them! :grin:

Unfortunately there’s no translation on SC but if you have a book, it’s a highly recommended read! :tada:

Thig 16.1

“Even birth among gods is uncertain,
it is only birth in another place just as impermanent,
but somehow fools are not terrified
of being born again and again.”"

Then Sumedha said to her mother and father,
“I will not eat any more food as a householder,
if I do not receive permission to go forth,
I will be in your house, but I might as well be dead.”

Her mother suffered and cried
and her father’s face was covered with tears,
they tried to reason with Sumedha
who had fallen to the palace floor.

“Why should I cling, like a worm,
to a body that will only turn into a corpse,
a sack always oozing, frightening, stinking
foul and putrid, filled with foul things?”

(small extract from the Hallisay translation)
:sparkling_heart:

17 Likes

A great contemplation to counteract the pre-Christmas frenzy: :grin:

Wings as its only burden

MN 51

Just as a bird, wherever it goes, flies with its wings as its only burden, so too, the bhikkhu becomes content with robes to protect his body and with almsfood to maintain his stomach, and wherever he goes he sets out taking only these with him. Possessing this aggregate of noble virtue, he experiences within himself a bliss that is blameless.

37 wings as its only burden gif_resize

23 Likes

Now I finally understand why Anuruddha is peering upwards to the left all the time—there’s this big bird arriving with a nunk on its back… :wink:

7 Likes

Nice. That’s almost like a LOTR-style Great Eagle swooping over also! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

:rofl: That’s where I got the idea from!

8 Likes

Obviously, there’s no shortage of LOTR geeks on this thread (myself included)! :laughing:

5 Likes

Wanting to help

16 Likes

what is LOTR?

3 Likes

LOTR - Lord Of The Rings (the JRR Tolkien books). Sorry, should have explained the acronym (though didn’t because there was some mention of it way way back in the thread).

4 Likes

Thank you for asking this question. The answer is very enlightening for me too… ! :bulb:

I had the vague idea that LOTR has something to do with the Lord of the Rings… but that it is the very acronym of the title… we never stop learning!

This new information definitely enhances my chances to pass this exam! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Today I went with my teacher, on behalf of her nearly 90yr old mother who can’t drive, to buy light-sabers as Christmas gifts for her adult grandchildren. There were all sorts of characters I didn’t know existed.

Why did I not know there was so much Star Wars involved in Anagarika training?

10 Likes

If anyone saw an anagarika buying light sabers I would imagine most people would assume you are into some heavy Jedi Cosplay! :smiley:

10 Likes

The blind turtle and the yoke

SN 56.47

“Bhikkhus, suppose a man would throw a yoke with a single hole into the great ocean, and there was a blind turtle which would come to the surface once every hundred years. What do you think, bhikkhus, would that blind turtle, coming to the surface once every hundred years, insert its neck into that yoke with a single hole?”
“If it would ever do so, venerable sir, it would be only after a very long time.”
“Sooner, I say, would that blind turtle, coming to the surface once every hundred years, insert its neck into that yoke with a single hole than the fool who has gone once to the nether world [would regain] the human state. For what reason? Because here, bhikkhus, there is no conduct guided by the Dhamma, no righteous conduct, no wholesome activity, no meritorious activity. Here there prevails mutual devouring, the devouring of the weak. For what reason? Because, bhikkhus, they have not seen the Four Noble Truths. What four? The noble truth of suffering … the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of suffering.
“Therefore, bhikkhus, an exertion should be made to understand: ‘This is suffering.’… An exertion should be made to understand: ‘This is the way leading to the cessation of suffering.’”

19 Likes

This is such an important sutta- about what human life is about.

with metta

7 Likes

Don’t get thrown by Jedi mind training tricks! The force is strong in this one.

5 Likes

It was even more silly. A bhikkhuni explaining the technicalities of Star Wars and how all the new characters fit in while holding a light-saber. :smiley:

7 Likes

Love this doodle!

Bildschirmfoto vom 2017-12-24 09-49-19 If only I could share these sweet little details with my blind friend… :grin:

6 Likes

The gift of Dhamma excels all gifts (Dhp 354)

18 Likes

Merry X-mas, Ven. Yodha! :heartpulse::heart::heartpulse:

5 Likes