Dhamma doodles 😁

Dear Ven @yodha
Many thanks for your wonderful Dhamma doodles. Hoping they’ll continue through 2018 :gift_heart:

Wishing you and everyone here a peaceful, joyful, frutiful coming year. :anjal:

4 Likes

This is one of the best–well, my ‘favorites list’ is long and all the doodles are on it :grin: But this one (‘wanting to help’) is particualry touching, in a similar way to the ‘kalyanamitta’ one

6 Likes

@frankk, here’s your Xmas present! :grin:

The fortress

AN 7.67

In the same way, monks, when a disciple of the noble ones is endowed with seven true qualities (saddhamma) and can obtain at will—without difficulty, without trouble—the four jhanas, heightened mental states that provide a pleasant abiding in the here-&-now, he is said to be a disciple of the noble ones who can’t be undone by Mara, can’t be undone by the Evil One.

“Now, with which seven true qualities is he endowed?

“Just as the royal frontier fortress has a foundation post—deeply rooted, well embedded, immovable, & unshakable—for the protection of those within and to ward off those without; in the same way a disciple of the noble ones has conviction, is convinced of the Tathagata’s Awakening: ‘Indeed, the Blessed One is worthy and rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, a knower of the cosmos, an unexcelled trainer of those persons ready to be tamed, teacher of human & divine beings, awakened, blessed.’ With conviction as his foundation post, the disciple of the noble ones abandons what is unskillful, develops what is skillful, abandons what is blameworthy, develops what is blameless, and looks after himself with purity. With this first true quality is he endowed.

“Just as the royal frontier fortress has a moat, both deep & wide, for the protection of those within and to ward off those without; in the same way, the disciple of the noble ones has a sense of shame. He feels shame at [the thought of engaging in] bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, mental misconduct. He feels shame at falling into evil, unskillful actions. With shame as his moat, the disciple of the noble ones abandons what is unskillful, develops what is skillful, abandons what is blameworthy, develops what is blameless, and looks after himself with purity. With this second true quality is he endowed.

“Just as the royal frontier fortress has an encircling road, both high & wide, for the protection of those within and to ward off those without; in the same way, the disciple of the noble ones has a sense of concern. He feels concern for [the suffering that results from] bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, mental misconduct. He feels concern at falling into evil, unskillful actions. With concern as his encircling road, the disciple of the noble ones abandons what is unskillful, develops what is skillful, abandons what is blameworthy, develops what is blameless, and looks after himself with purity. With this third true quality is he endowed.

“Just as the royal frontier fortress has many weapons stored, both arrows & things to be hurled, for the protection of those within and to ward off those without; in the same way, the disciple of the noble ones has heard much, has retained what he has heard, has stored what he has heard. Whatever teachings are admirable in the beginning, admirable in the middle, admirable in the end, that—in their meaning & expression—proclaim the holy life that is entirely complete & pure: those he has listened to often, retained, discussed, accumulated, examined with his mind, and well-penetrated in terms of his views. With learning as his weapons, the disciple of the noble ones abandons what is unskillful, develops what is skillful, abandons what is blameworthy, develops what is blameless, and looks after himself with purity. With this fourth true quality is he endowed.

“Just as the royal frontier fortress has a large army stationed within—elephant soldiers, cavalry, charioteers, bowmen, standard-bearers, billeting officers, soldiers of the supply corps, noted princes, commando heroes, infantry, & slaves—for the protection of those within and to ward off those without; in the same way a disciple of the noble ones keeps his persistence aroused for abandoning unskillful mental qualities and taking on skillful mental qualities, is steadfast, solid in his effort, not shirking his duties with regard to skillful mental qualities. With persistence as his army, the disciple of the noble ones abandons what is unskillful, develops what is skillful, abandons what is blameworthy, develops what is blameless, and looks after himself with purity. With this fifth true quality is he endowed.

“Just as the royal frontier fortress has a gate-keeper—wise, experienced, intelligent—to keep out those he doesn’t know and to let in those he does, for the protection of those within and to ward off those without; in the same way a disciple of the noble ones is mindful, highly meticulous, remembering & able to call to mind even things that were done & said long ago. With mindfulness as his gate-keeper, the disciple of the ones abandons what is unskillful, develops what is skillful, abandons what is blameworthy, develops what is blameless, and looks after himself with purity. With this sixth true quality is he endowed.

“Just as the royal frontier fortress has ramparts—high & thick & completely covered with plaster—for the protection of those within and to ward off those without; in the same way a disciple of the noble ones is discerning, endowed with discernment of arising and passing away—noble, penetrating, leading to the right ending of stress. With discernment as his covering of plaster, the disciple of the noble ones abandons what is unskillful, develops what is skillful, abandons what is blameworthy, develops what is blameless, and looks after himself with purity. With this seventh true quality is he endowed.

“These are the seven true qualities with which he is endowed."

15 Likes

And in black and white, if you prefer that

10 Likes

Dear doodle-friends,

On the weekend, I’ll be travelling overseas for 48 hours. There’s really nothing much you can do on an airplane when you can’t use the entertainment system to space out, so I’ll have plenty of time to doodle! If anyone has any further doodle requests, now would be a good time to mention them! :grin:

7 Likes

How about AN 5.162—Removing Resentment? I like the similes, especially the third one:

Suppose there is a little water in a puddle. Then a person might arrive, afflicted and oppressed by the heat, weary, thirsty, and parched. He would think: ‘This little bit of water is in the puddle. If I try to drink it with my cupped hands or a vessel, I will stir it up, disturb it, and make it undrinkable. Let me get down on all fours, suck it up like a cow, and depart.’ He then gets down on all fours, sucks the water up like a cow, and departs.
(Translation Bhikkhu Bodhi)

:heartpulse::cherry_blossom::heartpulse:

Have fun on your flight with doodling!

3 Likes

AN4.45 is one of my favourites. Though I’m not sure if it’s made clearer by doodling. Yet is seems somewhat appropriate for a journey across the world.
Happy doodling.

5 Likes

Dear Ven @yodha

My favorite passage (though probably difficult to doodle) is:

Other ones I’d love to see are MN121, Snp5.5, Snp5.7, and like @sabbamitta, also AN5.162 or any you are inspired to do : :airplane: :art::framed_picture:

4 Likes

One of my favourite Suttas is the Leash 1

5 Likes

Thank you all for your suggestions! :heart:
@Pasanna, @amimettalove, :heart_eyes: Great ideas, I love these suttas! They are among the suttas that I know by heart
 BTW, there is already a doodle about the “Without discoverable beginning” series, see above post #17. But it doesn’t have the dog on a leash.
@Linda, I won’t attempt to doodle nibbana, but I’ll see what I can do about your other suggestions!

6 Likes

Teaching Dhamma :wink:

MN 26

This Dhamma (
) is profound, hard to see and hard to understand, peaceful and sublime, unattainable by mere reasoning, subtle, to be experienced by the wise. But this generation delights in attachment, takes delight in attachment, rejoices in attachment. It is hard for such a generation to see this truth, namely, specific conditionality, dependent origination. And it is hard to see this truth, namely, the stilling of all formations, the relinquishing of all acquisitions, the destruction of craving, dispassion, cessation, Nibbāna. If I were to teach the Dhamma, others would not understand me, and that would be wearying and troublesome for me.

(Not showing the Buddha, just a regular monastic :wink:)

13 Likes

Hi @yodha, I have another thought for a doodle. It’s not from the suttas, but one of my favourite Ajahn Brahm stories, the story of the cow who is crying. It is just such a touching story! :heartpulse: :cow2: :cry:

4 Likes

A very star wars Christmas was had here in Adelaide

19 Likes

The donkey and the cows

AN 3.82

“Monks, it is just as if a donkey were following right after a herd of cattle, saying, “I too am a cow! I too am a cow!” Its color is not that of a cow, its voice is not that of a cow, its hoof is not that of a cow, and yet it still keeps following right after the herd of cattle, saying, “I too am a cow! I too am a cow!” In the same way, there is the case where a certain monk follows right after the community of monks, saying, “I too am a monk! I too am a monk!” He doesn’t have the other monks’ desire for undertaking the training in heightened virtue, doesn’t have their desire for undertaking the training in heightened mind (concentration), doesn’t have their desire for undertaking the training in heightened discernment, and yet he still keeps following right after the community of monks, saying, “I too am a monk! I too am a monk!”

“So you should train yourselves: ‘Strong will be our desire for undertaking the training in heightened virtue; strong will be our desire for undertaking the training in heightened mind (concentration); strong will be our desire for undertaking the training in heightened discernment.’ That is how you should train yourselves.”

17 Likes

Could you do me one with a widescreen TV and large settee? :yum:

Yeah, I don’t think that’s going to happen

Ashamed for not being perfect

17 Likes

That’s my doodle
 :cry: :flushed:

I particularly love the fish! :fish:

6 Likes

The days and nights are relentlessly passing; how well am I spending my time? This should be reflected upon again and again by one who has gone forth. (AN 10.48)

Wish you all a happy new year!

17 Likes

Take the ‘sign of impermanence’ from those flashes of the fireworks!

After a while apply its impermanence to everything and everyone in the universe!

With metta

4 Likes