Dhamma doodles 😁

To begin the new year, @Aranya and I made another project together! :heart_eyes:

The inter-cosmic void

SN 56.46

“There is, monks, an inter-cosmic void, an unrestrained darkness, a pitch-black darkness, where even the light of the sun & moon — so mighty, so powerful — doesn’t reach.”
When this was said, one of the monks said to the Blessed One, “Wow, what a great darkness! What a really great darkness! Is there any darkness greater & more frightening than that?”
“There is, monk, a darkness greater & more frightening than that.”
“And which darkness, lord, is greater & more frightening than that?”
"Any brahmans or contemplatives who do not know, as it actually is present, that ‘This is stress’; who do not know, as it actually is present, that ‘This is the origination of stress’… ‘This is the cessation of stress’… ‘This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress’: They revel in (thought-) fabrications leading to birth; they revel in fabrications leading to aging; they revel in fabrications leading to death; they revel in fabrications leading to sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair.

8aaf64422ae803dd7dc9270c2bbfcd5590207a36_1_690x498

12 Likes

Always expecting the worst

12 Likes

Emu Art

The monastery I’m visiting at the moment for some reason has an emu egg on their Buddha shrine… :rofl: :joy: To turn it into a Buddhist item, they asked me to make a doodle on it!

So… @Aranya, your “Resplendent Buddha” (post #53) is now on an emu egg! :grin: :grin:

15 Likes

What is the natural colour of an emu egg? Are they naturally black, or did you paint it black?

If you keep it nice & warm, one day there will be a resplendent little emu coming out… :hatching_chick:

3 Likes

They are naturally black. The neighbor of the monastery has an emu farm. Apparently, the eggs are very much in demand by egg artists because of their color… :grin:

:rofl: Unfortunately, the monastic community had omelet on Xmas day…

2 Likes

The eggs look really cool!!

1 Like

Huh, it used to be dark green. What happened to it?

2 Likes

Hmm, I don’t know. Change and impermanence?
It does still have a greenish tinge though…

1 Like

The void in the heart

Life in any world is incomplete, insatiate, the slave of craving. (MN 82)

14 Likes

I found this interesting details about the life of emus:

Breeding takes place in May and June, and fighting among females for a mate is common. Females can mate several times and lay several clutches of eggs in one season. The male does the incubation; during this process he hardly eats or drinks and loses a significant amount of weight. The eggs hatch after around eight weeks, and the young are nurtured by their fathers. They reach full size after around six months, but can remain as a family unit until the next breeding season.

I find it touching to see fathers raise the kids! :family_man_girl_boy:

3 Likes

Actually, it reminds me this story from the Jatakas where the Buddha-to-be and his wife are sitting outside their house in the evening, having a cup of tea, watching the sunset…

Then he makes a deep-drawn sigh: “Darling, I would really like to go forth!”

She, also sighing: “Darling, good that you mention it. I too would like to go forth!”

He: “Let’s wait until the kids are grown up and then do it!”

She: "Darling, I’m still going to the well, we are running out of water… "—and off she goes…

Only that the emu females don’t go to the monastery but are just running off with another mate. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Emotional neglect of children, either by their parents leaving to become bhikkhus or ordaining at a very young age, isn’t acceptable nowadays. Its one of the forms of child abuse - whereas many generations ago, children were easily given away to be raised elsewhere. This type of early trauma has consequences in later adult life- emotional instability, anxiety and depression, issues with relationships might manifest. Its not possible to destroy a child’s emotional wellbeing over the rest of their life, for you wellbeing. The kamma alone would become a hindrance to one’s progress in the path. I would condone threatening to commit suicide, less ordination is granted by the bhikkhus, in comparison to this. Poor parenting results in a massive amount of suffering in this world to all parties. Also the parenting role isn’t permanent. Kids grow up and they eventually leave you. Also if you really want to practice, lay life isn’t half bad place to do it. Waiting for the perfect circumstances to practice is great but when this much is at stake, you make do. ‘If there is a will, there is a way’. Life is the practice, or make it your place of practice, not only an isolated jungle… Seclusion from time to time at least, is necessary, but I was told by a learned monk that even the Buddha never spent more than two weeks in the jungle at one time in total isolation. Its about the determination to practice in lay life and the wisdom to find opportunities to do so, whenever it is presented- and doing so mindfully, when it is. This will stop the on-cushion, off-cushion jekyl and hyde transitions, at least!

with metta,

1 Like

Kindly keep posts roughly in line with the title / OP and light-hearted chit chat.

I think there are many sides to the question of ordination vs. child-rearing but if you want to discuss it further, please start another thread.

Thank you. :heart:

4 Likes

Over-inflated ego

There is no taming here for one fond of conceit,
Nor is there sagehood for the unconcentrated:
Though dwelling alone in the forest, heedless,
One cannot cross beyond the realm of Death.
SN 1.9

12 Likes

This is not a doodle but I wanted to share it anyway: The doodle characters have gone 3D! :heart_eyes:

18 Likes

PS: I’ve got tenosynovitis in my right hand at the moment, so doodles might be coming a bit slower than usual for a while… :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

Dhamma doodles merchandise!

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that. May you be well soon.

3 Likes

Those crochet dolls are just awesome!

4 Likes

@yodha

Ouch, hope your right hand feels better soon! :writing_hand: :lightsaber:

I love the crocheted monastics.

4 Likes