Dhamma doodles šŸ˜

:heartpulse: LOVE :heartpulse: this thread!!!

:hibiscus::cherry_blossom: Thanks so much!! :cherry_blossom::hibiscus:

Love, smiles and Dhamma teachingsā€¦couldnā€™t ask for much more! :smiley:

:sparkles::heartpulse::sparkles:

10 Likes

In the longstanding tradition of assigning multiple titles to Buddhist works, this doodle is called Empty Seat, or Mahaparinibbana, or Feeling Lonelyā€¦

Ayya @Aranya, this is how I usually show the Buddha. :grin:

27 Likes

Please keep in mind sutta passages like MN 128, in which the Buddha is not recognized by the gatekeeper and turned away. The inference is the Buddha wore the same type of robe, shaved his head, and looked like a Bhikkhu who followed his vinaya. I like your doodles but Iā€™m going to hurl if I see a brahman top knot, a pineapple looking tumor growing out of the top of his head, or dumbo ears.

6 Likes

Ayya @Aranya, your doodle is ready and will be posted tomorrow! :tada: :tada: :grin:

My concern was more that a doodle with the Buddha should be beautiful and inspiring, not about his type of robeā€¦ But of course now I couldnā€™t resist drawing a topknot! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Two days ago there was this article in the leading (or rather only) regional Saarland newspaper, the ā€œSaarbrĆ¼cker Zeitungā€, about an exhibition in the Saarland museum, called ā€œSaar-Warsā€:

darth-vader-re2

Probably that would be THE opportunity for me to do something about my lack of knowledge concerning extraterrestrial life! Thanks to you, Venerable @yodha, and your profile picture I know already what light sabers look like - thatā€™s a great improvement. For there was one occasion in the past when I had to translate a talk on this really inspiring spiritual journey and I had to hopelessly disappoint the speaker and the audience because of my complete ignorance of the topicā€¦ :disappointed:

(Never in my life had I seen any star wars movie, I dinā€™t know any of the devices and procedures mentioned in that talk - so how could I translate them?)

:vulcan_salute:

Learningā€¦

8 Likes

:scream: :scream: :scream:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes, I think you should definitely use that

Iā€™m glad my presence here is contributing to combatting ignorance and bringing light to the unenlightened!

(Vulcans are from Star Trek, light sabers are from Star Wars) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:anjal: :white_flower: :tulip:

6 Likes

Has this memorable talk been preserved for posterity?
If yes, can you upload it or link to it?
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Unfortunately not! :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

Thanks for your compassion to teach me the deep truths of life, Venerable!

:anjal: :vulcan_salute: :wink:

2 Likes

Is there a way to add a light saber to the emojis? That would certainly be worth it!

2 Likes

This thread is moving away quite a bit from the purpose of the OP. So Iā€™m glad @sabbamitta that your insights into reality are expanding but if you donā€™t mind, Iā€™ve created a new thread here, if you want to continue the discussion.
:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yes, thank you for keeping an eye to stay on topic!

3 Likes

Ayya @Aranya, hereā€™s your doodle. I hope you like it. :grin:

30 Likes

If you prefer less colourful:

23 Likes

Absolutely wonderful, Venerable @yodha! My favorite doodle yet! Although, I hesitate to call it a doodle, as all of your creations thus far, to me, qualify as bona-fide works of ART!

:anjal::anjal::anjal:

13 Likes

This is excellent!

@yodha, could you do this one for me please?:slight_smile:

'ā€œThat disciple of the noble ones ā€” thus devoid of covetousness, devoid of ill will, unbewildered, alert, mindful ā€” keeps pervading the first direction with an awareness imbued with mettaā€¦ compassionā€¦ appreciationā€¦ equanimity, likewise the second, likewise the third, likewise the fourth. Thus above, below, & all around, everywhere, in its entirety, he keeps pervading the all-encompassing cosmos with an awareness imbued with equanimity ā€” abundant, expansive, immeasurable, without hostility, without ill will. Just as a strong conch-trumpet blower can notify the four directions without any difficulty.ā€ SN42.8

I hope this is not too difficult and Iā€™m not in a rush, :slight_smile:

with metta,

8 Likes

Well, you created a light saber emoji :lightsaber: so how can I say no to you? :grin:

Iā€™ll see if I can come up with something. Might take a while. I need to wait for inspiration, and Iā€™m running out of art supplies! Ayya Aranyaā€™s doodle was made on the back of an old piece of scrap paperā€¦ :wink:

4 Likes

wow, wow, wow, please keep these coming Venerable. I find myself looking forward to them when I open SC. Oops, I know I shouldnā€™t get attached :worried:ā€¦ but they really bring a lot of joy. Also, great reflection on the Dhamma and a wonderful way to start a meditation session, makes the heart light and happy.

I really love this last one, and especially the version with the deep blue sky/spaceā€¦ captures the passage so well.

May I ask where you are located?

6 Likes

I guess in cyberspace!

5 Likes

:sparkling_heart:
Thanks, Iā€™m glad people enjoy them.

Still stuck on planet earth but I do hope that someone will build a spaceship soon.

6 Likes