Dhamma doodles 😁

Thanks, Yodha.

I have a couple of true Star Wars anecdotes to share that you might find amusing.

1. I was once passing through airport security in a busy airport in the USA. I was actually slowly asked by an airport security guard (with a tone of wonder in his voice) “Are you a Jedi?”. I replied (in a deadpan tone of voice) “Almost”. It was a priceless moment.

2. I just spent 15 months in Sri Lanka. I made friends with one ethnic Sinhalese monk, about 30 years old. We got to talking about our childhoods (and how radically different they were), and I asked him if he had ever seen Star Wars. No, never. Well, surely he at least had heard about it. No, not at all. So he had absolutely no idea what Star Wars was. Correct. At which point I thought to myself “what planet is this?” Had he ever played with Lego (which was a major cornerstone of my childhood)? No. Had he seen the Lego movie? No. Had he ever seen so much as one Lego brick, ever? No. He did eventually relate how one of his favorite childhood toys was clay, which gave one a lot of creative leeway to create things, much like Lego.

So anyway, if you ever meet ethnic Sri Lankan monks, they might not get the Star Wars reference whatsoever, or if they do, they might think you’re a complete space freakazoid, what with the light saber. They can be intensely, intensely conservative, so just heads up on that. :slight_smile:

BTW: speaking of Lego, your artwork reminds me of Cloud Koo Koo Land. I’m venturing a guess perhaps you’ve been there as a layperson. Perhaps I’ve been there myself. Note: I confess to watching the Lego movie on a long flight from the USA to Australia, about 8 hours into the flight when meditation in my economy class seat became too unbearable.

I have an artwork request: what would “Cloud non-Koo Koo Land” look like? You know, Deva realms? Perhaps with Devas and Devīs floating around, or Bhikkhus and Bhikkhunīs with psychic powers. And furthermore, if you would like a more difficult challenge, can you please incorporate a Lego Bhikkhu or Bhikkhunī in your artwork? (After looking through Google images, it seems it has not been done yet).

PS: When you’re passing through airport security, never pull out your light saber, or they might freak out on you major. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Here’s a Doodle I did about 3 weeks ago (before happening across this thread). I did this Doodle in about 7 seconds, with a black Gel pen. Do I Doodle much? Absolutely not.

This is my “artist’s conception” of arahantship, which I’m aspiring to:

I release this “art” under this Creative Commons license.

16 Likes

What a relief to hear that I am not the only person in the world who hasn’t any clue about star wars
 :relieved:

8 Likes

When I was meant to be studying for my end of high school exams I realised I was missing something more important in my education; basic Star Wars knowledge. :wink: I put aside a whole day to study the original 3 movies. After my exams episode one came out and I fell asleep in the cinema. :blush: Thus ended my education.
I still think Yoda is pretty awesome though.

Don’t ask me about LOTR. You’ll get really blank stares.

9 Likes

You’ll have a really hard time if you ever visit Tilorien monastery.
We named it after LOTR.
:rofl:

12 Likes

??? :exploding_head::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

4 Likes

Looks like a bald SSJ3 Goku.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

huh? I shall need this explained in greater detail if that’s okay
 :face_with_monocle: :thinking:

:grin:

1 Like

It’s kind of an inside joke for anyone who grew up watching Dragonball Z. I’m happy to explain further if this picture doesn’t tell a thousand words. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It seems to me we are getting slightly off topic here

I have another more topic-related question (unfortunately also proving my ignorance, but in a different field this time), concerning the doodle about the brahmaviharas: I don’t know which role the conch simile is playing here. Can anyone help me out?

Thank you very much! :anjal:

5 Likes

I think it just refers to SN 42.8 that was quoted in the post.

Like the sound of a conch trumpet can spread to all four directions, so should one develop the brahmaviharas everywhere.

8 Likes

Thank you very much! Why didn’t I see it??? :weary:

Love this doodle! :heart:

5 Likes

Must have been Mara fooling you :wink:

5 Likes

Ha, ha
 no it’s okay
I’ve got all the information I would like to have at this point. :laughing:

Sorry
:yum: :blush:

2 Likes

The Brahma Vihara should be projected to all directions (eventually) simultaneously, as per SN42.8

@sabbamitta do you practice it in this manner, or in a different way? :slight_smile:

’Thus above, below, & all around, everywhere, in its entirety, he keeps pervading the all-encompassing cosmos with an awareness imbued with equanimity — abundant, expansive, immeasurable,’. SN42.8

The conch makes a loud sound that is heard everywhere simultaneously, too.

It should be ideally practiced in all postures (allways) too, as mentioned in the Metta Sutta, at least when meeting someone or at the very absolute minimum- for a moment (anytime). :slight_smile:

:earth_asia:

With metta

3 Likes

Remember this post? The Compassionate Refuge of the Triple Gem

And this one (with video of Galadriel):

5 Likes

Oooooooook, lets see if we can get this thread back on track. Maybe we should start a self-help thread for people with fantasy and scifi deficiency. :wink:

Thanks for sending this one, too! Turns out the Hallisay translation is much nicer than Norman’s!

Lol, this is the first time I hear of it. But thanks for broadening my horizon. We’ll see if I can come up with an idea for a deva realm. Unfortunately the general picture in the suttas of one guy with 500 ladies isn’t that inspiring nowadays for either guys or girls
 Sounds like a pretty tiresome gender imbalance.

4 Likes

Yourself as your own island

SN 47.9

Dwell with yourselves as your own island, with yourselves as your own refuge, with no other refuge; dwell with the Dhamma as your island, with the Dhamma as your refuge, with no other refuge.

Those bhikkhus, Ānanda, either now or after I am gone, who dwell with themselves as their own island, with themselves as their own refuge, with no other refuge; with the Dhamma as their island, with the Dhamma as their refuge, with no other refuge—it is these bhikkhus, Ānanda, who will be for me topmost of those keen on the training.

31 Likes

@sabbamitta
me neither, whew

4 Likes

How sweet! :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes