Dhamma doodles 😁

Dhamma Sheep

Suppose there were a file of blind (wo)men each in touch with the next: the first one does not see, the middle one does not see, and the last one does not see. (MN 99)

AN 5.79

Again, in the future there will be bhikkhu(ni)s who are undeveloped in body, virtuous behavior, mind, and wisdom. When those discourses spoken by the Tathāgata are being recited that are deep, deep in meaning, world-transcending, connected with emptiness, they will not want to listen to them, will not lend an ear to them, or apply their minds to understand them; they will not think those teachings should be studied and learned.
But when those discourses are being recited that are mere poetry composed by poets, beautiful in words and phrases, created by outsiders, spoken by disciples, they will want to listen to them, lend an ear to them, and apply their minds to understand them; they will think those teachings should be studied and learned.

24 Likes

Wow!!! Just wow!!!

Thank you and I just love it!!

5 Likes

Lower heaven realms: similar to the best of the best you’d find on earth and more and more of this progessively let go the further up you go in the material heaven realms.

Higher up: more to do with perceptions/ideas about peace and love and letting go.

This thread is the best!!!

10 Likes

@anon29387788, I agree, my very favorite thread on SC Disocurse :heart_eyes:

11 Likes

From Ajahn Sucitto’s Dawn of the Dhamma:

Devas from Brahma’s realm:

The “Great Brahma”:

Many little Devas above the Buddha:

Devas who control the Nimmitas of others:

Devas from several realms (Bhumma, Tavatimsa, etc.):

You might be wondering “what’s up with the snake-deva”. Back at the time of the Buddha there were many Animistic snake cults, and snake beings held a lot of currency at the time, sort of like how Westerner culture seems to like dragons and unicorns and elves and garden gnomes.

9 Likes

Coming back to the heavenly relams:

To me “heavenly realms” are just another, somehow fancy corner in Samsara, maybe a bit like a fantasy world.

What you describe as your view of “heaven realms”, the quote from MN 26, has something so much more beautiful to it, so much more peaceful and sublime: This is the very path how to transcend Samsara with all it’s heavenly and other realms, whatever sorts we can imagine…

7 Likes

Awesome Doodle. This is Art!

PS: The sheep are so cute I can just barely stand it. :smile:

4 Likes

That is so how it is (WRT having yourself as your own island doodle). Awesome Doodle! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fantastic point. Pun intended. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awesome, yes, sister - ??? not certain :wink:

4 Likes

I used to live in a monastery where there was a Thai Mae Chee (a 10-precept nun), and her title was “Sister”.
Likewise at the monastery where I’m currently staying, even layperson women are called “Sister”, not even on 10 precepts. Our layperson office lady here is called “Sister Visaka.” And the laymen introduce themselves as "Brother so-and-so."
So it’s different from monastery to monastery how the title “Sister” is used.

Are you sure she was a woman?!

5 Likes

Dear Venerable,

I just refer to this discussion below about this subject. It is interesting how we get certain perceptions and that’s just the point of this exercise (other than that we get some wonderful Doodles!!!)

5 Likes

This doodle is for Ayya @Vimala! :smile:

Seven suns

AN 7.66

Bhikkhus, conditioned phenomena are impermanent; conditioned phenomena are unstable; conditioned phenomena are unreliable. It is enough to become disenchanted with all conditioned phenomena, enough to become dispassionate toward them, enough to be liberated from them.

ezgif-4-6920d476d8

25 Likes

This is absolutely… :mindblown::mindblown::mindblown::astonished::astonished::astonished::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::mindblown::mindblown::mindblown:

:sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

It’s silly! I made the same mistake :rofl:!

with metta

2 Likes

There still seems to be some confusion about the persons in my doodles and about me. So let me clarify:

This is how I depict monks:
Anuruddha

This is how I depict nuns:
Anuruddha

And this is me:
Anuruddha

So lets stop discussing gender and get back to discussing dhamma and doodles. :heart: :grin:

25 Likes

Ermmmagadh animated Dhamma doodle! :heart_eyes:
I am on a really slow connection so it took a few seconds to see figure out what was going on

7 Likes

Today we have a very special doodle. Thank you very much @Aranya for suggesting to collaborate and for making this amazing artwork! :heart_eyes: :sparkling_heart::sparkles:

Heavenly Realms

20 Likes

Hi Ayya @vimalanyani, are you (together with Ayya @Aranya) the author of this doodle?

5 Likes