Dhamma doodles šŸ˜

Bittersweet (dukkha)

12 Likes

Itā€™s in the pipelineā€¦ Coming soon. :grin:

4 Likes

Here you goā€¦

What difference is there?!

AN 10.99

Suppose there was a large lake, and along comes a bull elephant with a height of seven or eight cubits. Heā€™d think, ā€˜Why donā€™t I plunge into this lake and play around while washing my ears and back? When Iā€™ve bathed and emerged from the water, Iā€™ll come out and go wherever I want.ā€™ And thatā€™s just what he does. Why is that? Because his large life-form finds a footing in the depths.

Then along comes a rabbit or a cat. Theyā€™d think, ā€˜What difference is there between me and a bull elephant? Why donā€™t I plunge into this lake and play around while washing my ears and back? When Iā€™ve bathed and drunk, Iā€™ll emerge from the water and go wherever I want.ā€™ They jump into the lake rashly, without thinking. You can expect that theyā€™ll sink down or float away. Why is that? Because their little life-form finds no footing in the depths. If someone should say this, ā€˜Though I donā€™t have immersion, Iā€™m going to frequent remote lodgings in the wilderness and the forest.ā€™ You can expect that theyā€™ll sink down or float away.

Happy Easter! :grin:
:egg: :rabbit2: :basket: :elephant:

15 Likes

The elephant has an electric plug on the end of its tail but the rabbit has a tuft of cotton wool. :rofl:

Do I see easter eggs?

5 Likes

:laughing: bahaha!! I love it! :heart: Thank you, itā€™s absolutely everything I hoped it would be :joy:

Happy Easter to you too! And may all drowning rabbits find their elephant tail salvation! :pray::grin:

6 Likes

Gender discrimination in the sangha

13 Likes

Ooh, Iā€™m curious as to what this means! No explanatory notes Ven. @yodha? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

In short, it means that we judge people according to which body parts are hidden under their lower robe. And then treat them differently depending on what we see thereā€¦ We see them as inferior (women), or reject them altogether (gender non-conforming people). We cause huge amounts of suffering and create obstacles for practice of good people, who were inspired enough by the dhamma to want to join the sangha.

In detail, Iā€™ve explained it here:

8 Likes

Welcome back @yodha. Please keep on sharing your sweet , sad, funny, and profound wisdom with us! A picture says a thousands words!

6 Likes

I thought the large one was measuring the middle-sized oneā€™s waist and couldnā€™t figure out why!

:rofl:

1 Like

I made a thing with 3D modelling. Its supposed to depict the victory of Dhamma over alcohol addiction.

6 Likes

I started playing around with clay during the pandemic. The full head is still drying.

10 Likes

Iā€™m there for you

26 Likes

Such a sweet illustration :heart:

Are those patched up monastic robes? Symbolic.

2 Likes

Any chance we could get illustrations for all six similes from MN54? :angel:t5:

1 Like

Yodhaā€¦ did you consider having the 5th picture include swimming for the shore (on the ā€œraftā€) using all four hands and feet - the four right efforts? This is an image from Ajahn Sonaā€™s teaching, and maybe even originally in the suttas?

I didnā€™t consider that. Itā€™s just an illustration of that particular sutta, which doesnā€™t mention using hands and feet.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome,@fumyo !

On behalf of the moderators, I want to welcome you to Discourse & Discover, the discussion forum for SuttaCentral. We hope that this forum benefits you on your path. If you need any assistance, you can reach us at @moderators or refer to the FAQ.

With metta,
Liz

5 Likes

Hello!

:upside_down_face: this is adorable

3 Likes

I love this. We are all stuck onto Mother Earth in this position.

2 Likes