Dhamma doodles 😁

Just the outline of the Buddha. Or any ascetic wandering around with an alms-bowl. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Or Bhahiya smiling very happily, standing/sitting still…with lines moving away from him to demonstrate letting go of something from his field of being. You could perhaps have specific (symbolic?) objects next to the lines…?

4 Likes

Hi @Sujith & @anon29387788,

Nice ideas… I have a favorite passage and @yodha’s doodles were inspiring me to think of how I would illustrate it if presented with the challenge (I don’t do Dhamma doodles, but have done various types of art in the past, though not specifically ‘Buddhist’). All I could think of was something similar to Sujith’s idea–just an outline sitting in meditation, empty on the inside with empty space around. The passage is:

“etaṃ santaṃ etaṃ paṇītaṃ yadidaṃ sabba­saṅ­khā­ra­sama­tho sabbū­padhipa­ṭi­nissaggo taṇhākkhayo virāgo nirodho nibbānaṃ”

This is peaceful, this is sublime, the stilling of all activities, the reliquishing of all acquisitions, the destruction of craving, dispassion, cessation, nibbāna.

It’s found in several suttas, some being AN 11.7, AN 11.8, AN 10.60, AN 3.32, AN 9.36, AN 11.18, AN 11.19

8 Likes

Lovely :pray:t6: Thank you.

4 Likes

It reminds me the project of Tilorien: We’d like to have a main building and 3 kutis. And there is also a little stream. I’ve seen no fish however so far!

I like the fish in your doodle! :fish:

6 Likes

Hihi, hopefully our main building will be a bit more insulated than the one in the drawing!

8 Likes

Hmmm, I’ll think about it. After I disappointed you earlier today on the perception of gender thread, I don’t want to disappoint you again! :sweat_smile: :rofl:
But the Bahiya sutta never seemed very inspiring to me… So we’ll see.

But on the bright side, @Mat’s requested brahmavihara doodle is ready and will be posted tomorrow!

5 Likes

Kalyanamittas

AN 7.36 :sparkling_heart:

31 Likes

Just beautiful! :heartpulse: :hibiscus: :heartpulse:

4 Likes

You certainly capture something beautiful!

With metta

4 Likes

Awwww, this one is very touching… Beautiful to bring to mind when in the midst of overwhelming feelings & difficult mind states…

5 Likes

The discussion between @anon29387788, @Linda and @Sujith about how to illustrate “letting go” suggests that people are engaging with the Buddha’s teaching in a different way because of the doodles. I don’t think you should doubt whether these are effective as teaching tools. :dash::brain::eye::heartpulse::heartbeat:

15 Likes

The brahmaviharas
(conch simile)

as requested by Mat. Hope you like it!

35 Likes

I do! Nice impression of the conch simile! :heart_eyes::heartpulse:
:pray:

with metta

2 Likes

Greetings from Malaysia, Ven. Yodha,

This is Venerable Subharo. Nice doodles. They made my day. Thanks for sharing them.

I too have a “light saber” (plugged into the side of the laptop I’m using):

As you can see, the glowing blade color is blue. I’d pull it out of the computer to get a better photo but it’s currently running Xubuntu. The red dots symbolically convey the message “hands off, this light saber is mine”.

11 Likes

Welcome, venerable! Thanks for sharing your light saber with us. :grin:

Kay, today’s doodle is for you! Now we have bhikkhunis Khema and Uppalavanna on the thread. Can’t get better than that! :grin:

4 Likes

She is wise
(Bhikkhuni Khema and king Pasenadi)

SN 44.1

She is wise, competent, intelligent, learned, a splendid speaker, ingenious. Let your majesty visit her!
(to king Pasenadi about bhikkhuni Khema)

25 Likes

I’ve always loved bhikkhuni Sumedha’s story in the Therigatha and am trying to make a doodle of it. But the only freely available translation is C.A.F. Rhys David’s, and the archaic language is making me dizzy… :dizzy:

If anyone has a copy of Norman’s translation of the Therigatha, it would be great if you could send me a PM with Theri Sumedha’s verses (Mahavagga - at the very end of the Therigatha). Thanks a lot!

Edit: Apparently there is also a newer translation by Charles Hallisay. If anyone has that one, that would be great, too!

Edit 2: Thanks so much, @Linda, for sending Norman’s translation! :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

@yodha
Oops, I just realzied I’m not sure if I sent the one you wanted as the book cover says both CAF Rhys Davids and KR Norman and both the monks and nuns verses are in one volume. So maybe it’s already the one you have. It’s the PTS edition, revised ed 1997.

I just sent you the translation by Charles Hallisay as well. I had forgotten I had a copy of that one.

5 Likes

Dear Ven. Yodha, There is a modern translation of Sumedha Theri’s poem (or at least a segment of it) here:

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/jootla/wheel349.html

7 Likes