Dhamma Journaling

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone here uses a journal to document her/his spiritual journey, discoveries, etc.

I am interested to ask myself specific questions, related to the Dhamma obviously, which could raise more awareness, in addition to the meditation practice, to my tendencies.

So most specifically, I am looking for a set of questions/contemplations that I could do at the end of the day, some sort of personal inventory. Not to dwell in regrets, remorse or anything like that, but to help me choose specific dhamma talks and practices to progress on the Path.

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Metta,
NoƩ

3 Likes

Using the plan set out here is recommended:

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nyanaponika/wheel026.html

ā€œOne who has chosen the conquest of the five hindrances for a ā€œworking-groundā€ should examine which of the five are strongest in oneā€™s personal case.ā€

2 Likes

Hello Paul,

Thank you for that, it seems very helpful, and what I was looking for. I will study this text and see how I can turn it into some questions.

Appreciated,

Metta,
NoƩ

2 Likes

For an alternate perspective on how to think about and journal about meditation see the article below:

The Language We Use to Talk about Meditative Experiences

:anjal:

5 Likes

Hello Polarbear,

Thank you for that.

Metta,
NoƩ

2 Likes

Iā€™ve used Journalling for a long time - decades, and have found it to be an invaluable aid. This is especially since I have lived in seclusion, and needed to use all the ā€˜tricksā€™ available to achieve distance and perspective. As such, it was a simple method to put some distance between Self and observation.

Initially I found it extremely beneficial for mind training. Writing out the circular thinking processes, gave them a form, that I could view detachedā€¦ so it was much more obvious to observe what was going on. Through this method mindfulness can grow. As one becomes more aware of the different patterns of thinking, it becomes more automatic, until 24/7 mindfulness becomes a way of life.

There are many many ways to use Journalling as an aid, and some great ideas given above. All I would like to add, is to feel free to use it creatively. It is a great tool, and it can be adapted in so many ways to reflect your needs at the time.

May your practice flourish - Enjoy! :smiley: :pray: :dharmawheel: :sunflower:

7 Likes

Hi,

Perhaps you could find a way to incorporate the various anussati ā€˜recollectionā€™ practices into your journalling. For instance, recollecting and reflecting on your sÄ«la ā€˜ethicsā€™ and cāga ā€˜generosityā€™ each day. The Buddha also encouraged us to to frequently reflect on the inevitability of death.

With mettā.

4 Likes

Thank you all for your valuable contributions.

With metta, :bowing_man:

NoƩ

2 Likes

If the three poisons are reduced, in whatever manner, then it would be acceptable practice.

3 Likes