Dhamma Publishing Question

Hi @Westbury08,

I am sorry if I didn’t read that question in your intial post.

I made a comment to a statement you put in there. Whether that was want you wanted, I guess I got your view on this :smiley: .

2 Likes

Yeah, that would be really cool. But I don’t see them doing it. They only publish ‘Ajahn Chah lineage’ materials in accordance with their own sangha.

I don’t know. @Bhikkhu_Jayasara might know whether some the profits of Bhante G’s book sales go towards the monastery.

2 Likes

I can’t speak to this specific case, but generally speaking, when monastics’ books are sold, the royalties—maybe 10% of the cover price—go to the monastery or to some other charity that they indicate. But unless you’re Ajahn Brahm or the Dalai Lama, the royalties probably won’t add up to all that much.

5 Likes

Regarding paying for reading: one always pays, even if another one pays the material costs in trees, processing, ink, binding, cutting, distribution, storage, …

One pays time. One pays attention. One might even double down with investing effort. And these are priceless.

I very much appreciated @sukha 's questions and comments; but I won’t steal them, just share them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Bhan[quote=“sujato, post:8, topic:8539”]
I can’t speak to this specific case, but generally speaking, when monastics’ books are sold, the royalties—maybe 10% of the cover price—go to the monastery or to some other charity that they indicate. But unless you’re Ajahn Brahm or the Dalai Lama, the royalties probably won’t add up to all that much.
[/quote]

Bhante Sujato, I’m very happy your books are for free distribution or at least freely on the internet. It will be such a blessing to have a full translations of the suttas without a cost. Yes, the cost was something from your heart and took time and many resources but my feeling is that you expect not even a penny or a pat on the back in return for it. That is the spirit I like to uphold of Dhamma. I am indebted in many ways to this sangha and I hope to practice to fulfill the instructions in this life. Sadhu!

4 Likes

As many may know when it comes to publishing groups, the author usually only gets a fairly small percentage, something like 10% of what the book earns, due to the costs of business.

With Bhante G, all the “author” proceeds go directly to Bhavana.

and as Brenna says, yes actually Bhavana has to BUY Bhante G’s books that are given away freely here, and we never come close to breaking even with book donations, and honestly that is perfectly fine with both Bhante G and myself, Dhamma should be free.

regarding dhamma books and price tags, I am a fairly hard liner when it comes to the belief that Dhamma should be free. At the very least the suttas themselves should be free, but as someone who owned a business himself, I understand the costs and overhead that a publisher has in creation, marketing, and distribution.

In Asia you will have dana organizations that will pay for the publishing of such and such thousand copies of a book from this or that teaching, I’ve not heard of any such organization in the west.

I’m much less worried about books from various teachers and monastics being free, then I am the actual nikayas being free. the Suttas should be as easily distributed as the bible as far as I’m concerned, which is why I was happy to hear of Bhante Sujato’s project of a digitial hyperlinked Nikayas.

10 Likes

This is an interesting and somewhat vexed issue. To me, the ideal solution is what BPS did with their reissue of the Visuddhimagga - you can download a PDF or you can buy a nicely bound version. Bhikkhu Analayo seems to have deals with his publishers that electronic versions of his books become available after a few years. Having them published means that they can be purchased by libraries, and that they can be referenced in other books and papers.

It’s nice that the Ajahn Chah lineage books and Dhamma books from other monastics are given away, and available as PDF, but unless you are close to one of their monasteries, it’s not trivial to get hold of hard copies, so I don’t see that as a particularly useful model for distributing the Dhamma outside the “club”.

I do hope that hard copies of any books produced from the SC site will be available for purchase. I’m very happy to pay for nicely-bound hard copies, and I feel that this option makes the Dhamma more, rather than less, available.

5 Likes

By the 1980s in America and UK, computers were starting to show their potential for individuals. I think some significant resources of the west went to preserving resources via microfiche, photography, audio recordings, investment in some of the educational or library capabilities of Buddhists in Asia especially Tibetan or Zen… And now digitized access seems in some ways an excellent addituon to paper or other preservation, now that oral preservation seems to be fading as primary preservatuon method.

1 Like

It’s a very fair point, but if hard copy production by donation will work, wouldn’t that be all the better? I mean I’m guessing most people who’d be very happy to buy would also be very happy to give a comparable amount. In this way, those of greater and lesser means would also be able to either give an incredible gift and/or make use of a hard copy where they might otherwise not.

I hope the ideas Bhante Sujato outlined a couple of years ago are still under consideration:

4 Likes

Yep, this is still on the roadmap.

6 Likes

Yes, sure. My main point is that I’d like to see the option of ordering a book directly, rather than rely on Dhamma distribution channels. Having them available to order might also help to ensure that libraries recognised them as “real” books, and were prepared to buy them or accept donated copies, and that they would be cited in academic articles.

2 Likes

That is true about most dhamma books by most monks in Thailand, including the Thai version of Ajahn Brahm’s books. It’s a real pity.

The disciples of a former famous Japanese monk in Ajahn Chah’s tradition had a different innovative approach. They sold this monk’s books at a restaurant chain that a disciple owned. The books were thus affordable as well as widely available. The idea rendered a great success.

Our team is planning to sell a book by a great monk on Amazon at the cheapest price possible on Amazon just to make the book available worldwide. We just have to wait and see how things go. For the time being, we have some free e-books for you to read and/or download: http://wisdomandwonders.org/about/

Coming back to the original question, I would say from a first-hand experience that publishing and distributing a book for free requires loads of money. So, either you are rich or you have rich friends who are happy to donate tons of money.

Another reason is psychology. Very few people appreciate and value and cherish ‘freebies’. :wink:

If the second reason didn’t play an important part, we then would see more ‘free’ books become popular worldwide. Perhaps this will be a challenge that some of us would like to take? :wink:

Just my two cents.

Dheerayupa

2 Likes

Indeed, and we hope to make that a reality. It’s easy to set this up as print-on-demand, so we might do this at some point, then see about getting a “sponsored” large scale quality printing later on.

I still can’t get my head around the idea that there is any standard whatsoever for academic citation other than the quality of the content.

Quite agree! This is such a good point. :slight_smile:

I quite agree here, too. At the same time, I guess I might liken the principle to Firefox addons. I more or less have abandoned installing addons that don’t have at least 3, maybe even 4 stars (although it’s not quite a perfect comparison, because I will consider new addons that have no stars).

I know that this is a popular notion, but I haven’t seen any evidence (and there have been lots of studies) that this is in fact the case. What we seem to find instead (when experiments are run) is that it doesn’t matter how someone got a particular item, either free or paid for, they use it just the same. And those who get it for free tend to be more inclined to buy in the future. This is how discounting/offers/coupons work in retail environments.

Having said that, there may be an argument for selling the item, but giving away free discount vouchers to maximise uptake and engagement - just like coca-cola did in 1887 onwards to their considerable benefit.

2 Likes

I have this seen many a time whilst travelling for work or leasure.

On some airlines you get free news papers (or did, I wouldn’t be able to tell if this is still the case as I travel a lot less nowadays), and on others you don’t.

When the news papers are given away the stand quickly gets emptied of them and when you exit the plane you can see the news papers left on the seats or in places they shouldn’t really be.

I’ve never seen a plane full of paid for news paper after landing, because few people actually buy them, and ever fewer would be throwing them away after a short trip when they bought them.

Now, that’s no study, but you can see why such idea would gain support from day to day experience, and with 0 sscientifical evidences :smiley: .

2 Likes

Ha. Welcome to my world… :rofl:

Seriously, I suspect that Analayo has some of these issues in mind with his publishing strategy, which gets his books out in the first place as “regular books”, then later as freely distributable.

Though I quite understand that you are not bothered by it, I think that it would be a pity if your new translations were not cited due to silly technicalities, like not being able to find a “real refererence”.

2 Likes

As I am an inveterate free-literature-gatherer, I can attest to the inclination to gather reading material that may never get read. It becomes unavailable for someone who wants it, and the resources used to produce it are wasted.
I’m working diligently to change this behavior. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Just for the sakes of balance: I’ve also amassed a few shelves of books I’ll never read - I paid for most of them.

4 Likes

Just a little not-so-important additional example. There’s a book by Ajahn Brahm that has been printed for free distribution. Not many people have a copy. :(:crying_cat_face:

So, what we are doing now is re-typing the whole book, then we will print a number of copies according to our budget (donations), then we will have the e-book version freely available on our website.

7 Likes