Dhammaruwan---Chanting---1970's

Chanting of the Pali suttas by Dhammaruwan when he was a young boy (age 3–8)

This recordings were made in the early 1970’s and the audio quality is not the best, but they are still well worth listening to. For more info about Dhammaruwan and his ability to chant in Pali at such an early age see this excerpt from an interview with Bhikkhu Bodhi:

Dhammaruwan Bojjhanga (Gilana) Suttas (SN 46.14–16) 1/4 25′ 2,96 MB :arrow_down:
Dhammaruwan Dhammacakkappavatanna Sutta (SN 56.11) 2/4 29′ 3,43 MB :arrow_down:
Dhammaruwan Girimananda Sutta (AN 10.60) 3/4 22′ 2,60 MB :arrow_down:
Dhammaruwan Mangala Sutta (Snp 2.4), Rattana Sutta (Snp 2.1), Metta Sutta (Snp 1.8) 4/4 22′ 2,63 MB :arrow_down:

Links to similar content

12 Likes

Sadhu :yellow_heart: Sadhu :green_heart: Sadhu :blue_heart:

:anjal:

3 Likes

These are often cited as one of the strongest evidences of rebirth.

As beautiful and innocent as they are, is that really the Occam’s Razor of explanations? How much more likely would it be that his uncle coached him? Some forest monk could have preserved these more ancient Pali pronunciations, the boy could be coached to memorize them and even have a written reference in front of him since these are only audio recordings. What would be the motivation? To make a stronger case for the doctrine of rebirth.

Dhammaruwan is now a Bhikkhu (Bhante Samadhikusalo) and I believe he still maintains that these recitations were based on genuine past life memories…

Afaik, he spent a considerable amount of time as a layperson. One would think that such a strong experience would have one running towards ordination. Perhaps I’m just being cynical but I can’t discount the idea of a “noble lie” for the well-intentioned good of the community.

I actually think those kinds of experiences might have you running in the opposite direction for parts of your life. Why? Because as an unenlightened person you are trying to establish your identity in this body, in this life…In any event, I have no good reason to accuse the man of lying

1 Like

Could be your right, and could it also be that you miss something important regarding this remarkable voice?

I actually don’t care if the story is a deliberate lie, because the innocence and this boys mentality reaches me/us through time and space, and makes my mind go happy and light. Have you listened to any of Dhammaruwan’s talks, because he is more than the story about him?

Maybe, maybe not …
I discovered The Dhamma when I was 50, and the first year I often had an urge for the robe, and even all of my friends in the Sangha included the monks was cheering me forward. If I had gone for those urges I would have missed a greater opportunity for practice and interesting dhamma projects here. And my guess is that if I had followed others suggestions, I would have missed out a lot of moving forward on the path.

being no one going nowhere …. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

A book by Bhikkhu Anālayo coming out soon will include a case study of Dhammaruwan’s case:

3 Likes

I had a Burmese monk once tell me that the phenomena of a leaning Buddhist temple in Burma that didn’t fall over during a natural disaster was a Buddhist miracle. I can’t tell if he really believed that or if he felt compelled to say so because of his position in Burmese culture, or for more nefarious reasons like money. Maybe he really believed it, personally though, I think that’s probably the least likely explanation. Couldn’t help but think of the leaning tower of Pisa, is that also a Buddhist miracle?

I agree, the audio is hauntingly beautiful. However, it’s much more meaningful for someone already believing in the doctrine of rebirth. You could probably find a similarly pleasant and innocent audio of a young Christian or Muslim. Similarly, you could find plenty of theists who have had NDE’s and report back about God’s heaven.

Ian Stevenson’s mother was a member of the Theosophical society, he was hardly doing research without bias.

I hope that you as I have no difficulties of seeing rebirth from moment to moment in the present!? And what else people have of memories or experience is unknown. Personally I find rest in unknowing.

Bhante Analayo talks about his personal encounter with Dhammaruwan (download friendly audio recording) here:

It begins at around 12 minutes (talk starts at 6:27) and again at around 55 minutes, followed by the recording of young Dhammaruwan chanting the Dhammacakkappavatanna Sutta (SN 56.11) during the intermission at 58 minutes.

There is also a discussion concerning Bhante Analayo’s new book here Livestream interview with Ven Anālayo April 20 - #24 by Linda

6 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Mahasi Sayadaw and Sotapanna deva conversation in 1951