Discourses to children

I am interested in specific suttas where the audience were children. I am researching on the aims, content, and pedagogy of how ethical dispositions were taught to children (up to 16-18 years) in the sutta pitaka and commentaries. Can you please point me to these.

1 Like

Ud 5.4: Buddha’s Discourse to Young Boys

MN 61: Buddha’s Advice to Young Rahula

6 Likes

There was a 1 to 10 counting scheme using dhamma concepts. Does anyone know about it? i believe it was taught to a 7 year old arahanth with supernormal powers!

1 Like

AN10.27/ AN10.28 also KN Khp 1-9

There is an offbeat course around these 10 questions on buddhadust. Couched in contemporary language, it offers an interesting point of view.

4 Likes

udāna 2.3

daṇḍasuttaṃ 13

The Discourse about the Stick

thus i heard: At one time the Gracious One was dwelling near Sāvatthī, in Jeta’s Wood, at Anāthapiṇḍika’s monastery.

Then at that time many young boys who were between Sāvatthī and Jeta’s Wood were attacking a snake with a stick. Then the Gracious One, having dressed in the morning time, after picking up his bowl and robe, was entering Sāvatthī for alms. The Gracious One saw those many young boys between Sāvatthī and Jeta’s Wood attacking a snake with a stick. Then the Gracious One, having understood the significance of it, on that occasion uttered this exalted utterance:

“He who, while seeking happiness for himself,
harms with a stick Other beings who desire happiness,
will not find happiness after passing away.

“He who, while seeking happiness for himself,
does not harm with a stick Other beings who desire happiness,
will find happiness after passing away.”

Hi @vikas.maniar! I’m not sure if Buddha specifically addressed the children here, or was just making a general observation, but I found this example (and even managed to use the quote function correctly!).

2 Likes

Do you mean the list of ten questions in the Kuddhakapāṭha here (Kp4)? (Edit: Oops, missed @faujidoc1’s reply on this).

Several of the key elements are expanded upon in DN33.

Very cool!

2 Likes