Disrobing, defeat or progress?

@Timothy, yes, the sound of the breath is very pronounced, and really the only thing one can hear. You place wax sealers in your ears, as a barrier for salt water and sound, and so the breath is almost like on a microphone inside the head. Took a while to get used to it, but in the end, it was quite nice.

Interesting coincidence that the former Ajahn Jagaro (John Cianciosi) now lives only about 20 miles from me, and I had a chance to meet up with him when Ajahn Brahm last visited the Theosophical Society.

4 Likes

Wow! It’s a small world after all! I’m very interested to try myself, as well as am echo chamber. For me, the sounds of my own body are soothing, akin to time in the womb, I suppose!

Edit: Apologies to all for being off topic! We now return to the regular scheduled programming. :blush:

2 Likes

Exactly the sensation I experienced. And perhaps there in lies the fundamental…elemental value of the experience. A return to the womb. What a concept!

Awesome, they will be calling me to consult on the setup et al. I’m packing now, could the concierge please call me asap?

Fascinating as I knew about the ‘old’ Theosophical Society" when it was involved with Krishnamurti. But I had no idea they were still a thing. More research needed. Thanks!

1 Like

My time in a floating tank I thought wasn’t great because once you close your eyes its a bit like meditating without many disturbances. The only down side was salt water getting into your eyes and mouth!

4 Likes

Hi Mat! I did not have that problem. More salt?

2 Likes

If they still want to practice:

Defilement does not lie in clothes and haircuts, and to pack up the defilement in one package and try to throw them away in one go is not the middle way. If one gets ordained to counter ‘layperson defilement’, then wants to disrobe to counter ‘monastic defilement’, where should one go? The middle way is to shift the focus from outside and look at what’s happening in the mind, and try to understand and deal with the problems with wisdom. The so-called sati-pañña. And being a monastic is one of the best ways to practice this.

If they get ordained for other purposes:

They just won’t disrobe if their desires can be fulfilled by staying in robes. Although sometimes I do hope some people can disrobe to reduce the damage they did/will do to themselves and others.

“Master Gotama, the brahmins say: ‘Laypeople succeed in the procedure of the skillful teaching, not renunciates.’ What do you say about this?”

“On this point, student, I speak after analyzing the question, without making generalizations. I don’t praise wrong practice for either laypeople or renunciates. Because of wrong practice, neither laypeople nor renunciates succeed in the procedure of the skillful teaching. I praise right practice for both laypeople and renunciates. Because of right practice, both laypeople and renunciates succeed in the procedure of the skillful teaching.”

–MN.99

4 Likes

Seen On Facebook today, posted by Dr. Eric Jones, the director of NIU’s Center for Southeast Asian Studies. He’s traveling in Asia now.

5 Likes

Could you give me a link ? Thanks

@Jarek, here’s the link to the FB OP, if that’s what you were seeking. Facebook

Thanks. Sorry, I thought there will be some article or text about it:)

Here is the link which features a video of one venerable who frequents this forum, relating to this very topic of disrobing: Act Normal (Documentary)

3 Likes