DNA Testing on relics of Sariputta and Moggallana

do the Buddhist authorities in countries were relics of Sariputta and Moggallana had been re-distributed to allow for DNA Testing of it?

It will be interesting to know Y-DNA, mtDNA and Autosomal DNA of them, Plus confirm that the relics really belong to them.

the same question is for the Buddha Relics (mentioned at Bones of the Buddha documentary) and the other Buddha Relics which exist in all of Buddhist sphere countries.

Maybe if we confirmed a match between 2 samples [or more] of them, plus confirm the timeline of the samples to be in accord with Buddha’s time through DNA, we can have more information about Shakyamuni Buddha, Shakyans, Aryans, Ikshvakus.

2 Likes

Would DNA have survived the fire of cremation? :thinking:

4 Likes

Yes, In some cases.
Testing will not harm in both situations.

DNA Testing on Cremated remains | EasyDNA USA).

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/12244571_Cremation_practices_and_the_survival_of_ancient_DNA_burnt_bone_analyses_via_RAPD-mediated_PCR

1 Like

I have no idea if DNA might have survived, but no, so far as I know tests have not been done.

The relics from Sanchi of Sariputta and Moggallana, or some of them, are held in a crypt in the Mahabodhi Society in Bodhgaya. I had the honor of seeing them, they opened up the vault for me.

The relics of the Buddha, or those from Piprahwa with most plausible claim to authenticity, are on display in the National Museum in Delhi.

7 Likes

If nothing else, Carbon dating should be possible? Even that much would be useful. But the orthodox might not countenance such sacrilege! :thinking:

3 Likes

Sir, Ven. Sujato. Is there any possibility of taking DNA samples or making Radiocarbon dating on the Relics?

Will they accept?

Carbon Dating is a good thing also. it will make us verify, confirm or deny the Relics authenticity.

I hope that the Buddhist authorities on these relics agree.