Do Arahants sheds tears?

Stream entry :slight_smile:

1 Like

:laughing: not quite, because there is wrong immersion.

The criteria for stream-entry are both accessible and demanding. One might easily say, “I don’t kill” today, but will that be true tomorrow or the day after? And that is just one of five dangers and threats. Then there are the four factors and a deep understanding of dependent origination.

However, if we stay on the Noble Eightfold Path, the stream of the shared and practiced teaching itself conditions and enables extinguishment.

Don’t forget this sutta in link. Really important

Not available fully in suttacentral @sujato

He pointed to the log and said, “Oh Bhikkhus, do you see that big log which is being carried along by the current of the river?” The Bhikkhus replied, Yes Venerable Sir, we see it."

The Lord Buddha continued,

• If that log is not caught on the near bank, it will reach the ocean.
  • If it is not caught on the far bank, it will reach the ocean.
  • If it is not submerged under the water, it will reach the ocean.
  • If it does not land on a small island in the middle of the river, it will reach the ocean.
  • If it is not taken away by a human being, it will reach the ocean.
  • If it is not taken away by a deity, it will reach the ocean.
  • If it does not sink into a whirlpool, it will reach the ocean.
  • If it does not become rotten, it will reach the ocean.

Here the Omniscient Buddha points out that if there is not any of these eight faults, the log will reach the ocean. Then, the Buddha said, "Why will this log reach the ocean? It is because the current of the river inclines towards the ocean. It will, therefore reach the ocean if it has none of these eight faults.

In the same way, Bhikkhus, you will reach Nibbana if you have none of these eight faults. Why? Because Sammaditthi (Right Understanding) inclines towards Nibbana , the cessation of dukkha . However, Bhikkhus, this is just a simile."

http://www.myanmarnet.net/nibbana/chanmypl.htm

2 Likes

Marvelous! Thank you! :pray:

I have not read that. :pray:

1 Like

Let’s learn to recite it it’s very important to remember who knows when we will need it. If it’s after life. Who knows if we will encounter Buddha Dhamma again? But maybe we will act differently to our parents and society if we remember suttas. Like it works in the subconscious level. Who knows right? :joy:

1 Like

I agree. I am going blind so I study by listening to the suttas. In doing so, I have discovered that listening and reciting are far more powerful than reading.

Sadly we have gone far off topic “Do Arahants sheds tears?”. Perhaps start a new post for further discussion if you like. :pray:

1 Like

Yeah I noticed that. But the shedding tears I find I understand. Because earlier of how the brain worked for me after stroke. The brain can start a emotion without your order. So I think it’s possible. It’s not like their intention

1 Like

Beautiful return to topic! :heart_eyes_cat: