Does a specific craving carry over in rebirth?

In MN 38 the Buddha states:

“So, ignorance is a condition for choices. Choices are a condition for consciousness. Consciousness is a condition for name and form. Name and form are conditions for the six sense fields. The six sense fields are conditions for contact. Contact is a condition for feeling. Feeling is a condition for craving. Craving is a condition for grasping. Grasping is a condition for continued existence. Continued existence is a condition for rebirth. Rebirth is a condition for old age and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, sadness, and distress to come to be. That is how this entire mass of suffering originates.”

In MN 148 the Buddha ties in underlying tendencies (anusaya):

“Mind consciousness arises dependent on the mind and thoughts. The meeting of the three is contact. Contact is a condition for the arising of what is felt as pleasant, painful, or neutral. When you experience a pleasant feeling, if you approve, welcome, and keep clinging to it, the underlying tendency to greed underlies that. When you experience a painful feeling, if you sorrow and wail and lament, beating your breast and falling into confusion, the underlying tendency to repulsion underlies that. When you experience a neutral feeling, if you don’t truly understand that feeling’s origin, ending, gratification, drawback, and escape, the underlying tendency to ignorance underlies that. Mendicants, without giving up the underlying tendency to greed for pleasant feeling, without dispelling the underlying tendency to repulsion towards painful feeling, without eradicating ignorance in the case of neutral feeling, without giving up ignorance and without giving rise to knowledge, it’s simply impossible to make an end of suffering in the present life.”

The Buddha made it clear in MN 38 that it is not the very some consciousness that roams and transmigrates in rebirth. Yet, since craving is dependent on grasping and grasping is dependent on rebirth, is a specific fuel of craving in this life carried over as fuel in the next life?

i.e.
If a person is primarily driven by a grasping for violence and ill will, does that carry over to the next life?
If a person is primarily driven by a grasping for fame and praise, does that carry over to the next life?
If a person is primarily driven by a grasping for sense pleasure and sex, does that carry over to the next life?

If Angulimala died before stream entry, might he have been reborn violent or as a killer?
Would a billionaire with a driving lust for wealth be reborn with a driving lust for wealth?
Would a sex addict be driven by sex lust in the next life?
Might Sarakani have battled alcohol is his subsequent life? (SN 55.24)

2 Likes

My understanding is basically yes. Whatever habits of mind we cultivate in this life are more likely to show up in future lives, though they may get a bit twisted on the way. For example, there’s the story of the monk who was so attached to his robe that he was reborn as a flee on that very robe!

There’s also the effects of karma to consider. The Buddha said that drinking a lot of alcohol will result in mental illness in a future life, and of course most serial killers end up in hell.

Does that help?

4 Likes

The broad perspective of the OP question is it refers to mundane right view and the most favourable rebirth from that practice is the human realm:

“It’s because he refrained from taking what is not given, refrained from sensual misconduct, refrained from false speech, refrained from divisive speech, refrained from abusive speech, refrained from idle chatter, was not covetous, bore no ill will, and had right views that he reappears in the company of human beings.”—AN 10.177

The basic craving would be for material existence in the sense realm.

Fires that burn tend to lead people to be revolting against the pain of flames. The honest Noble Truth of Suffering can awaken even in the most lustingly besieged person at the time of death and burn to ashes all of the karma of a precarious rebirth and bring them in that next life to be, in wisdom, to a gathering at the Buddha’s feet.

1 Like

What I understand is that all conditioned things must end by themselves as the life span of all 5 Khandas (nama and rupa) is very very short.
However, those conditioned things (Sankara) will create another conditions for new results to develop.
So, according to DO, nothing is carried over from present Khandas to next Khandas in the sense of matter or mind but just properties of them are embedded in the resultant new mind and matter.

Thanks and regards,

Thank you @Khemarato.bhikkhu for reminding me about the monk being reborn as a flea. Is that from a sutta or a Jataka tale?

@ZawNyunt, My thinking is that because grasping on to what one craves is what conditions rebirth, that specific lust for continued existence to quench that thirst is what carries over, not the khandas or namarupa/consciousness. Yet, something seems to be missing from the equation and I suspect that it’s kamma.

1 Like

No, it’s either from the Vinaya or (more likely) the commentaries

1 Like

According to the teachings by some veneralble monks, kamma alone cannot produce results; qualities of kamma are carried over to next existence by Upadana (craving).

Thanks and regards,

1 Like

Investigating this topic, I read AN 10.218 where The Buddha says first:

“Mendicants, I don’t say that intentional deeds that have been performed and accumulated are eliminated without being experienced. And that may be in the present life, or in the next life, or in some subsequent period. And I don’t say that suffering is ended without experiencing intentional deeds that have been performed and accumulated."

Later in the sutta he says:

“I don’t say that intentional deeds that have been performed and accumulated are eliminated without being experienced. And that may be in the present life, or in the next life, or in some subsequent period. And I don’t say that suffering is ended without experiencing intentional deeds that have been performed and accumulated.”