Does anyone have a critique of the book "What's It Like To Be Enlightened?"

Post nr2 wasn’t clear for me, and I maybe agree with you in a statement that says “don’t judge”, rather be aware of the judging mind!?

I’m not into reading anything in particular because it’s, to me wrong practice if it leads to accumulating non-essential information irrelevant to the direct practice.

Is that so

There are a few distinguished Buddhist teachers and sages that compare God and Dhamma as being the nature of reality. The texts and symbols aren’t the same, but those who take the wisdom to heart and give it all they got end up speaking the same language.

2 Likes

I appreciate your effort in trying to drive the point home.

This is something I do not subscribe to, but sure yes, some go down that “every religion has the same goal” path, which I do not think is true, but sure.

Going off topic here, so I digress.

I don’t say that all religions are the same or point to the same. I say that saints, sages and teachers of these different religions point to the same core truth because they had taken wise pointers to heart, given all they had of effort, and thereby realised or attained a higher state of being or consciousness. And some of these saints and sages were burnt at the stake, stoned or excommunicated because they followed their hearts instead of submitting to dogmas and rites/rituals in their religions.

I don’t see that this little conservation is off-topic because, as you say yourself that you refuse even to read or accept that the writer might have valid information and wise views regarding our religion, not because he is wrong, but because you close yourself off for the possibility, and that’s not what I do in my practice.

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t even call myself a Buddhist. With that being said, you could be entirely correct.

There is, however, a limited amount of time in one’s life. In this situation, my life, so yes I make judgements regarding the content of books and other things that are marketed to an individual like myself. To compare: when going to the movies; I choose a movie that seems to be most interesting to me, and forego the rest, since having limited time on that particular day I can only see one movie. The others, I may think nothing of, some I may say to myself that movie looks silly, so I pass on it.

I think there is a big issue in modern “Western Buddhism” especially to push this whole “non-judgemental” thing, or being some kind of compassionate doormat. I don’t find this type of behavior to be entirely useful, and we as creatures are actually constantly passing judgement on things, without judgement, what do we have?

Either way, the truth remains—the book may or may not be useful. I respect your views, and you make a valid argument that deserves credit. Still, I think all people reserve the right to critique things as they see fit. It is up to us as individuals (in my opinion) to drown out the noise and take in what we want from the world of objects, ideas, etc.

I was going to clear this up earlier, but I thought it best not to, as it seemed fruitless. However, for clarity, the author does not equate union with God with (full) enlightenment. He actually distinguishes them. That is a main point of the book.

I am not trying to get you to like the book or read it (I still do not think it is for you), but I do not want you to suffer because of false beliefs. (Or to cause others to suffer because of your false beliefs.)

I do not know how to add awarewolf to this reply, but I like his statements about texts/symbols/language not being identical and attempting to see the wisdom and core truths they point to. (This is actually a strength of the book, since it attempts to distill this core in plain language so anyone [even non-Buddhists, non-religious people, and beginners] can gain a basic understanding of some of these core contemplative truths. There is nothing offensive or ignoble about that.)

Anyhow, this has been an interesting introduction to this community. The discussion has been lively, and I appreciate everyones info and help! :green_heart:

2 Likes

I also prefer to leave out labelling myself as this or that, because truh is that i dont know who or what this is.
Judging is necessary, but to know what makes me judge is crucial, i think. And to me that has something to do about how well do i spend my time.

Here is a short explanation of the possible pit fall if one listen and belive the judging mind by habit.

Thank you, @Julie_L for participating in this discussion.

Again, I preface what I’m about to say with the disclaimer that I am not comfortable expressing myself via a keyboard, particularly with such a vast topic.

My initial juxtaposition between what I understand about what the Buddha achieved and what I’ve understood about PNSE is along the lines of investigation, clear comprehension and intentional action.

In his own words and generally in the Buddhist suttas, the Buddha-to-be was a brilliant man who didn’t want to chase that which was subject to decay and was determined to get to the bottom of dukkha, to find a way to ultimate peace and, for lack of a better contextual description, become enlightened.

In his noble quest, he devoted himself to existing practices of his time, various teachers and yet, with penetrating investigation, went beyond the norm and found where things lacked and din’t lead to nibbana. He experimented, developing that which led towards nibbana and abandoned dead ends, never ceasing to keep going deeper.

In the end, when he finally prevailed, he was in awe of what he had done and did not initially think that he would be able to teach to others, as it was too deep and complex. Fortunately for us, he spent the next 40 years of his life doing his best to do just that. His painstaking detail about what dukkha is, how it arises, how it ceases, the path to escape samsara, the hinderances, the faculties and powers one needs to develop, what to make of what one encounters along the path is where great guidance comes from.

For instance, per the Buddha, teasing apart the 5 Aggregates of Clinging, breaking down namarupa and consciousness as well as their mutually reciprocating dependence on one another and picking apart sankharas goes a long way to undermine a sense of self.

In the paper on PNSE, I notice that there’s a considerable instability of the enlightenment that the participants experienced. Could it be that it’s because one hasn’t consciously and deliberately seen the gratification, the danger and the escape of the world? If one is wandering through forests, deserts and across waters and, by chance, arrives at the destination, hooray! But so much better to have a guide to lead there and stay there. Having full comprehensive insight into all aspects of experience and beyond provides a foundation that one doesn’t easily lose. The Buddha ultimately realized the cycle of samsara in a way that freed him from it and that’s what he taught.

Perhaps it’s inspirational, but I don’t see that kind of guidance from the book of the OP. Not that what the author has experienced isn’t something awesome; who wouldn’t rather be in a state like that rather than being miserable, wandering the world offending people? Yet I love the Buddha’s teachings because it gives me direction so that I can see for myself what’s going on and I can follow the Buddha’s example and, hopefully, ultimately enter the stream to awakening.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to share that. I am touched by your words. You expressed yourself beautifully via the keyboard. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @Julie_L,

It depends on what you are trying to do.

If you would like to quote what someone wrote, then it is possible to select anything in their post and the “Quote” button will become available.

Instead, if you just would like to call someone’s attention, it is possible to use @ followed by the username, as in @Julie_L.

Finally, it is possible to reply to a post by using the arrow at the end of post

5 Likes