Does anyone have a resource for Ajahn Brahm or Bhante Sujato teaching the Iddhipadas?

I’d be very appreciate of anyone directing me to such a resource! Many thanks in advance.

I am aware of the Reader’s Guide to SN, which includes a good source of Bhante Sujato’s writing on the Iddhipadas. Other resources welcomed.

1 Like

Just listened to it today.

Have difficulty in uploading. It’s under for monks only, ajahn brahm, 2004, 2004-06-23; Cetokhila Sutta MN16

I once listened to the tapes from a retreat on the 37 bodhipakkhiyadhamma led by venerable @brahmali a few years ago. The idhipadas were covered in the program/ curriculum.
This post has more info on where to find videos or MP3 files:

:anjal:

6 Likes

Many thanks Gabriel. I will certainly be checking this out. With gratitude, BP

1 Like

Many thanks! I am assuming that I won’t have access to this, being not a monk. Please let me know if that’s not correct. With metta, BP

It can be accessed. Check either deeper dhamma or BSWA’s video and audio resources.

https://deeperdhamma.podbean.com/mobile/

Thank you Gabriel,

I’m not sure if you noticed that the second reply was to NgXinZhao. He mentioned a “monks only” talk and sure enough, looking for it on deeper dhamma and BSWA… no luck. I’m not surprised. I know that there are some talks not made fully public. Ajahn Brahm may well have addressed the subject randomly in a guided meditation preamble or Q&A… but that would be hard to track down. Sending warm regards,
BP

1 Like

I did a brief search of “iddipadas” in SC, trying to look for references in the MN since Ajahn Brahm goes over the MN in the sutta classes. Another user seems to have mentioned one such sutta. Unfortunately, my searching skills aren’t so keen, so I gave up after a brief scan of the results.

I think this may be a worthwhile method to find what you’re looking for, at least, to some degree.

Ryan: Thank you for trying!

@NgXinZhao Just checking that you have permission to share this?

Not sure whose shared drive it is that you are using here, but seems like the owner had this in a category for monks only rather than general public but you are posting it on this public forum?

One important consideration is that Ajahn Brahm himself has repeatedly requested over the years that some of the talks he gives are not for general distribution and permission is required to copy it, with the proviso that it is not shared. This might be the case here, seeing as this talk doesn’t seem to be available elsewhere?

2 Likes

There’s a treasury of talks by Bhante Sujato in the audio archive of Santi Forest Monastery. There are several talks on the iddhipada certainly, but you have to look a bit around. Luckily, the talks have been given real titles, not just the date.

I found this one in the chapter of 2005 rains retreat (look under “Dhamma talks”) where Bhante talks on the iddhipadas in connection with metta meditation: https://santifm.org/santi/download/Dhamma_Talks/2005_Rains/Bu._Sujato_2005.09.03_Rains_DT_Iddhipada.mp3.

There’s certainly more around!

2 Likes

I will second this observation, while thanking @ngxinzhao for his kindness and work.
This may well be inappropriate. May I request that the link be removed? Not sure how that is done.
with warm regards,
Bodhipala

And another huge thank you to sabbamitta. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Ok. Thanks for the reminder. Removed.

1 Like

Another Ajahn Brahm’s disciple who’s talked about the Iddhipadas was Venerable Hasapanna:

https://youtu.be/tjQofZj-NBw?t=2978

3 Likes

Thank you for your kind work in finding this! Much appreciated.
with metta,
Nadine aka Bodhipala

I asked Ajahn Brahm about the topic of Iddhipadas and his response during the Vassa Dhamma talk was the story of the pilot and the dog. “Chanda is the dog, and the pilot’s job is to do nothing. If he presses any buttons, the dog will bite him”. That was my first time hearing that story and it wasn’t quite satisfactory, but it helped my practice from where I was at.

There’s a little more on the Iddhipādas by Ajahn Brahm in the first talk of Simply This Moment

3 Likes

Thank you for the information!

Thank you for the link. Much appreciated. I just finished reading the essay and it was very interesting. This is the first time I’ve seen a teacher put the Iddhipadas front and centre for the beginning meditator. There are many little gems in there that I remember from Ajahn’s earliest work, but which I’d forgotten.