Does anyone know anything about the verses at the very end of the Sutta Nipata?

At the very end of the Mahasangiti and VRI editions of the Sutta Nipata, there is a series of about twelve verses praising the Buddha, each ending in the word dvipadaggo. These verses are not found in the PTS or BJT editions, nor can I find any discussion of them in modern publications or ancient commentaries.

They follow another long series of ten verses, a sutta-by-sutta uddāna or set of summary verses. These too seem to be absent from other editions. It’s not unusual for uddānas to vary between editions, but this is an unusually detailed set.

So it would seem that this series, altogether 22 verses, was added at a late date in the Burmese tradition. I’m not aware of anything comparable in other texts, but I haven’t really looked into it.

3 Likes

Do you happen to have an English translation of these verses?

The only translation I can find that includes these verses is the Burmese language translation on SC.

Google translates this from Burmese to English as:

1. The Uraga Sutta, the Dhaniya Sutta, the Khagavisana Sutta, the Kasibaradwaja Sutta, the Sunda Sutta.
  2. The Blessed One, the Blessed One, the Blessed One, the Blessed One, the Blessed One, the Blessed One, the Blessed One, the Blessed One, the Blessed One, the Blessed One, the Blessed One, the Blessed One, the Blessed One, the Blessed One, the Blessed One, the Blessed One; [repeated 16 times]
  3. Yadana Sutta, Amaganda Sutta, Hiri Sutta, Mingala Sutta, Thiloma Sutta, Dhammasarya Sutta, Brahman Dhamma Sutta, Navara Sutta, Kinsila Sutta, Uttana Sutta, Rahula Sutta, again Vingita (Nigor Dhakapa Sutta).
  4. Here, the Dhammika Sutta, the Noble Eightfold Path, is called the Noble Eightfold Path.
  5. Pabbajja Sutta, the main Sutta, Subhasita, the Sutta Sundarika, Bharadwaja (Puraဠ သha), the Sutta, the Magha Sutta, the Sabiya Sutta, the Keniya Sutta (Thela Sutta), the Salla.
  6. It is said that in the third Sutta called Dhuyatanupasana, a well-criticized sutta is performed.
  7. The Kamma Sutta, the Guhatta Sutta, the Duttattaka Sutta, the Sutta Sutta, the Paramattaka Sutta, the Sutta Zara Sutta, the well-criticized Sutta, the noble Metta Sutta, the Tissametya Sutta, the Patura Sutta, the Magandiya Sutta, the Purabeda Sutta.
  8. It is said that the wak which carries the sixteen suttas in the fourth Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta Sutta [the word sutta is repeated 30 times]
  9. The Blessed One [repeated 17 times]
  10. The Blessed One, who had been asked the question of the sixteen Brahmins in the assembly of the Twelve Yuzanas near the Gothavari River, at the place of the brahmins who were the adherents of the two kings of the Mဠlaka dynasty, who had arrived there. He asks the Brahmins the Dhamma and dies.
  11. The Blessed One [repeated 13 times]. He taught the noble sutta, the sacred sutta with many dhammas. The Blessed One, the Supreme Being, is the source of liberation from all passions.
  12. In accordance with the Vijnana Pada Attapada; Alphabetical For example, standing up; Who contemplates the world, such as the body; It is noble in the light of wisdom. The Blessed One, superior to beings with two bases, teaches the noble sutta.
  13. With the defilement of lust; He is clean and pure. Defiled by the filth of anger; He is pure, pure, pure, pure, pure, pure, pure, pure, pure, pure, pure, pure, pure, pure, pure. He is clean and pure. Who contemplates the world, such as the body; It is noble in the light of wisdom. The Blessed One, superior to beings with two bases, teaches the noble sutta.
  14. He is free from the defilement of lust. He is clean and pure. He is clean from all uncleanness. He is clean and pure. Who contemplates the world, such as the body; It is noble in the light of wisdom. The Blessed One, superior to beings with two bases, teaches the noble sutta.
  15. And the hindrances to be anointed, which are related to the bondage of taste. And the three kinds of impurities. The Blessed One [repeated 12 times]
  16. Clean Who destroys all lusts; Free from lust; Fearless Peaceful, longing, The Blessed One [repeated 11 times]
  17. And lust. Anger The Blessed One, superior to beings with two bases, destroys desire and longing. The Blessed One [repeated 18 times]
  18. It is deep and difficult to see. Only the meek and wise can know. Subtle Who contemplates the world, such as the body; The Blessed One [repeated 9 times]
  19. The nine elements are critically acclaimed by the faculties of the sense faculties, adorned with flowers, adorned with ornaments. The Blessed One [repeated 10 times].
  20. The moon symbolizes purity and purity. With the great ocean and jewels; The Blessed One [repeated 11 times]
  21. There is a very peaceful and secure Nibbဗ္ဗာန်na until the time of the noble Noble Eightfold Path. The Blessed One [repeated 12 times]

This reads like gibberish to me… I don’t know if it’s a poor translation, or if it never made much sense.

I wonder why mentioning only those suttas? :thinking:

Do you think we still have the Dhuyatanupasana? Or maybe google didn’t translate well? I can’t find it in a google search.

This is typical for Google Translate when ancient texts are feed into it. It spits out garbage, though it does have moments of clarity sometimes. It’s only reliable for European languages in my experience, and nobody should try to use it on ancient Buddhist texts.

2 Likes

The beginning of the Google version looks like a table of contents. These crop up sometimes, so it may not be garbage. There’s an example at the end of the final Petavālu, Pv51 (the Thālaka Group discovered this the hard way recently, trying to interpret the final lines as tying up the narrative!!!)

1 Like

Yes, the first section is just a list of Suttas.

No, it’s not referred to in any edition I’ve seen.

Hmm, there’s a Burmese translation to English, so maybe it’s in there.

It’s just interesting to see such a large chunk of text added, apparently in Myanmar.

This must be the Dvāyatānupassanā. It’s not exactly there by title, but the line Taṁ anupassī tathā punadeva evidently refers to it.